Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmbrack recipes?

• 26-10-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

There seems to be a real shortage of barmbrack recipes online. I'm looking to make a yeasted round brack with fruit, spices and the added extras such as a ring, a rag, a stick etc..
    I'm Irish living overseas and I'd like my kids to be familiar with ths tradition.
    Does anyone have any family recipes they'd care to share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Here is a simple barm brack recipe for you.

http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/odlums-recipes/yeast/yeast-brack/

The Odlums site also has a good recipe for tea brack.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

huskerdu wrote: »
    Here is a simple barm brack recipe for you.

http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/odlums-recipes/yeast/yeast-brack/

The Odlums site also has a good recipe for tea brack.

Do you think this would work if I soaked the fruit in tea or whiskey over night? I'm a total novice to this kind of bread recipe. I know it's usually not a good idea to alter baked foods' recipes too much because of the chemistry involved. Thanks for sharing this though. I'll give it a try... or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Soaking the fruit would not be a problem, but if you are a novice at baking with yeast, you would have to be careful that you dont add too much liquid by doing it this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭jos28

Might be a bit late for Halloween this year but you could give it a try some other time. This is a traditional tea brack with no yeast.

10oz Sultanas
    2oz Mixed peel
    6oz soft brown sugar
    15fl oz tea
    12oz four
    1 egg

Soak the fruit, peel, sugar and tea overnight. Next day mix thoroughly and add the fruit and egg. Combine all the ingredients until well mixed. Put the mixture into a greased round cake tin. Bake at 170c for 1 hr to 1hr 15mins

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

I've tried both of these recipes and both are great. The no yeast option is too easy! I added my own spice concoction and some whole cherries. Excellent. Just as well the fruit needs to be soaked or I'd make it too often. It's too nice just to eat once a year. I'm going to have a slice now... toasted and with butter and a cup of Barry's Gold Blend which I have to
    import here myself. Thank you for sharing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement