Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAT (portable appliance testing)

Options
  • 26-10-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Saw a course on this recently and am curious who would hire a portable appliance tester ? Is there really any work at it or just another course created for companies to get money off FAS and people on the dole to pretend they are making an effort ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Any large site requires epuipment to PAT tested. Our company has someone who does this. You'll find most large electrical contractors do. Mercury Lynchs Suir etc. It's a lot of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

There aren't many companies who would hire an outside contractor they usually just send a member of the maintenance team on a course.

It is a requirement by law so it would do no harm on your cv. Although as poster said above it's a load...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

There's no official qualification to do it anyway,the law only says you must be a "competent" person.Anyone can show up with testing machine,read the manual and away you go.

As the others have said its a load Shi te, a mere snapshot in time that covers some 'suits' arse if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

remember reading about PAT testing
    it can be a visual check only
    its needs to be an electrical test if the item is repaired
    plenty of grey areas in the literature, as usual

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm a electrical engineer...its not really enforced in ROI... its not taxable

• Advertisement

Doom wrote: »
    I'm a electrical engineer..

He must know his stuff so... lol

It's enforced in England and the north. Most large companies require it for insurance reasons.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    He must know his stuff so... lol

It's enforced in England and the north. Most large companies require it for insurance reasons.

I'm a electrical engineer in an insurance company :-p

I'm a electrical engineer in an insurance company :-p

He really knows his stuff so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

I'm a electrical engineer...its not really enforced in ROI... its not taxable

Thanks for the advice but I dont get the "taxable" bit ? Do you mean that because the government are not getting any money out of it that they dont care about our safety :-)

Government is only interested in taxing stuff, not safety. ..it was a jab at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

as a sparks living in the uk i tried to get this paid for me in dublin before i came to uk(edinburgh).
    i went to obair to ask for funding and they said no as they saw no future in ireland for pat testing.
    i troed to explain it was to bring with me to the uk but id may aswell been asking the wall.
    if your willing to move to uk there is jobs here for pat testing but it must be city and guilds .
    i work for openreach and they employ pat testers to test everything down to the chargers for the lighter socket in the van. its taken very seriously here and is decent money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's an EU directive, so all EU members must be compliant to PAT testing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see it everywhere now.

Where I work everything from the microwave to the vending machine to the drills are PAT tested.

2011 wrote: »
    I see it everywhere now.

Where I work everything from the microwave to the vending machine to the drills are PAT tested.

All portable appliances, basically anything with a plug on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    All portable appliances, basically anything with a plug on it.

Only registered contractors will be able to use the microwave next:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

2011 wrote: »
    I see it everywhere now.

Are you in Ireland or the UK ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Big Davey wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland or the UK ?

Ireland.

Advertisement