Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrane sufferers! A question..

Options
  • 26-10-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I posted this in the Galway section rather than the Health section because I have a really specific question for any Galway migrane sufferers. I myself have been sick for a while now, get symptoms like diziness and nausea and things, and my doctor is thinking that maybe I have a rare condition where I get migranes but without headaches.

Do you find that the lights in some shops / public places make you ill or trigger attacks? I was wondering which ones, to see if we're all experiencing the same thing.

Personally, I've noticed that Boots, Pennies, the 2 euro shop and lots of other places are intolerable for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi,yeah I have found that New Look,especially the one in the shopping centre does it for me. The lights,music and the way it's all hectic in there. Had to leave town one afternoon directly after going in there,home to bed with a rotten migraine. Thought it was just coincidence that it had happened then. What exactly (if it's not too personal) did your doctor have to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

The smell and heat in boots gets me every time. Horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

its probably directly to do with the frequency the lights strobe at, light bulbs are consrtantly lit but the comercial ones (can?) flicker very rapidly, unnoticeable to most people,

from wiki

Fluorescent lamps with magnetic ballasts flicker at a normally unnoticeable frequency of 100 or 120 Hz and this flickering can cause problems for some individuals with light sensitivity,[42] they are listed as problematic for some individuals with autism, epilepsy,[43] lupus,[44] chronic fatigue syndrome, Lyme disease,[45] and vertigo.[46] Newer fluorescent lights without magnetic ballasts have essentially eliminated flicker.[47]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I don't suffer from migraines, but I almost always get dizzy when coming out of the car park in the Eyre Square Centre into Dunnes Stores.

Something similar happened in the other Dunnes in Eyre Square to me and my son. We both had to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Nohing as drastic as what you are experiencing yourself, but I find some lights' spectrum make me feel very ill at ease - it seems to be linked to some of those energy saving bulbs. Everything looks very pallid, the colours are very unsettling compared to reality. I find I don't spend more time than I have to in shops with this kind of lighting. I have to be careful and chose bulbs with a 'warm' light spectrum for light fittings at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement