Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property management company

Options
  • 26-10-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Can property management company impose a fine ?
    They say there is on the spot fine of 150 euro if tenants mount satellite dish on the balcony or dry washings.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They can't issue a fine, but they can issue an administration charge, for dealing with problems.

I assume that such a charge was voted in at an AGM? Did you attend/vote?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭McCongo

gral6 wrote: »
    Can property management company impose a fine ?
    They say there is on the spot fine of 150 euro if tenants mount satellite dish on the balcony or dry washings.
    Thanks
    Tenants ( I presume you mean sub -tenants) have no contractual relationship with the management company. Unless provided in the lease they cannot impose one on the unit owner either. votes at the AGM cannot alter the lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I agree. If the provision is in the lease it can be done against the property owner only . I believe I am correct in saying that it takes an E.G.M. to change a lease. All owners must be notified and many leases specify a two thirds majority in favour to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I agree. If the provision is in the lease it can be done against the property owner only . I believe I am correct in saying that it takes an E.G.M. to change a lease. All owners must be notified and many leases specify a two thirds majority in favour to change.

Yes but to answer the OP, if its in the Lease they will charge the property owner who will pass the cost to you as you are the reason the charge was registered against the owner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭McCongo

Santa Cruz wrote: »

The lease cant be changed other than by agreement with each party. A person can't enter a lease and have clauses inserted without their consent afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

McCongo wrote: »
    The lease cant be changed other than by agreement with each party. A person can't enter a lease and have clauses inserted without their consent afterwards.

However many management company leases will have a clause that allows directors to make decisions in the best interest of the development. In the case as mentioned by the OP, it would probably be as a method of ensuring compliance with lease covenants and/or development rules and therefore would be considered to be in the best interest of the development to introduce administration charges.

Advertisement