Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Photography Idea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

sandin wrote: »
    You'd swear by some of the answers here that the OP is about to open a €100k operation in the middle of a love/hate scene.

He's a student with an idea for summer work that hopefully will give him some income and learn about business.

His earnings will be well below the 10k threshold for tax, he doesn't have a family or mortgage (at least it seems that he doesn't)

Any decent entrepreneur HAS to take risks. the best time to take risks is when you don't have financial/family ties.

I say go for it - if it doesn't work, find out why and learn from it, but from your posts my guess is you are not expecting to make a fortune and its a low priced entry into operating your own business, and the learning you get from operating a business in the real world, even a small one like this, is immeasurable.

there is no threshhold for tax ... ALL income should be declared and tax paid on it.

there is a difference between doing a job/offering a service and having an idea for some summer work .... the difference is professionalism.

to be honest it is very unlikely that the OP will be successful in this venture without investing proper money (money which most students dont have) - to do the "job" properly and offer a professional service a person simply cant look like an amateur - they need to know how to operate and behave as a professional.

would you buy a photograph from someone who doesn't appear to be professional ?

OP - my advice is not to go ahead with it - its unlikely to be a winner.....but if you really want to try it .... make the enquiry's with the OPW and relevant authorities about what you need (various licences etc)

OP ... a cheaper option would be to simply email the images to the people - for a fee of €2 or €2.50 .... it allows you to have less costs and gives you another option to offer prospective clients....to be honest, the vast majority of 18-20yr olds are not going to be able to convince a tourist in their 30's, 40's 50's that they should use this "photography" service...I wish you the best of luck OP but like starting most photography jobs.... it will take a LOT of dedication (10-12hour days 7 days a week)...any time you stop working is potentially time spent missing clients and missing opportunities to earn money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Corkbah wrote: »
    there is no threshhold for tax ... ALL income should be declared and tax paid on it.

0% USC 0% prsi & 0% paye on amounts under 10k.

He naturally has to declare it, but with a target of €3500, he will not need to worry about paying tax as no tax will be due.

sandin wrote: »
    0% USC 0% prsi & 0% paye on amounts under 10k.

He naturally has to declare it, but with a target of €3500, he will not need to worry about paying tax as no tax will be due.

you are assuming the person does not work throughout the tax year and/or wont work outside of this venture throughout the tax year.

We dont know if the OP is in receipt of social welfare or full-time student with or without a part-time job.... he has a target of €3,500 profit to the best of my knowledge (over a period of 2.5-3months) ... and at best he is willing to invest in a dye-sub printer (although the printing a 6x4 in 60 seconds is way off the mark for a quality dye sub), he is willing to invest in an iPad or similar (approx €500ish) and has mentioned a decent quality camera.

all in - he is looking at investing a decent amount of money for a job which I personally don't think its possible to get a decent return (if he was a 50yr old with previous sales/marketing experience I would say go for it - but he is a student with nothing but enthusiasm and a dream)

Sometimes you just need enthusiasm and a dream (and a dollop of money,luck and good timing)....but in todays world he could be facing serious issues if someone decides to trip and fall because of his equipment or if someone is injured due to his fault (its unlikely but that is what insurance is for ...to cover the unlikely event that X might happen) ...and relying on house contents insurance ...I'm also guessing he would not be the policy holder and would not be able to claim in the event of loss.... home insurance wont cover personal indemnity or public liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

)

OP ... a cheaper option would be to simply email the images to the people - for a fee of €2 or €2.50 .... it allows you to have less costs and gives you another option to offer prospective clients....to be honest, the vast majority of 18-20yr olds are not going to be able to convince a tourist in their 30's, 40's 50's that they should use this "photography" service...I wish you the best of luck OP but like starting most photography jobs.... it will take a LOT of dedication (10-12hour days 7 days a week)...any time you stop working is potentially time spent missing clients and missing opportunities to earn money.

But why would people pay to have their photo emailed to them? Its really the impulse buy where people see the packaging and are caught up in the moment that would make this business work.

and at best he is willing to invest in a dye-sub printer (although the printing a 6x4 in 60 seconds is way off the mark for a quality dye sub),

all in - he is looking at investing a decent amount of money for a job which I personally don't think its possible to get a decent return (if he was a 50yr old with previous sales/marketing experience I would say go for it - but he is a student with nothing but enthusiasm and a dream)

I have a job which I would hold onto for the first few weeks untill I physically can see the business working out. I would have to pay no tax as I would be under the 10,000k threshold!

The dye-sub is a quality printer for my expected need.. Fair enough if I was at a fixed location with mains power supply and printing of 20 photos minimum an hour I would need a faster spec, but reality is I wil be looking to sell 10 an hour (even 5 photos an hour would turn a minimum wage).

If I was a 50year old I would'nt touch the idea because its a seasonal business with fairly low returns! I am however a student so the summertime is my only chance to make proper money! I have no debts etc so nothing holding me back! Also how does the 50 year old you mention get his experience!?

I have to disagree and say that I do have a lot more than just enthuasiasm and a dream. I am fairly savy, brilliant with interacting with customers and good with numbers. I also think the fact that I am young is most definitely a major benefit, and in no way at all would hamper a professionalist image.

If people pay €4 to have their photo taken on the side of a mountain they are not going to expect, nor get, the most professional and well equipped service with green screens, 6 second printers etc. They will however get a one off product which will be unique and individual, all while being very near the highest of standards. Photo quality will be brilliant, Packaging will be enticing, customer interaction will be warm and price is competitive. What more could someone expect? ( and please don't say it is this 'what more could someone expect attitude' that shows I am not ready for business!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Um. It's not like he's setting up a management consultancy or whatever. He needs the most basic level of professionalism most of us have from working retail at some point.

Be presentable, neatly dresses, please, thank you etc...:rolleyes:

Edit: And if it all goes tits up, he'd have learned something and the equipment (iPad, camera etc) hold their value quite well so he could sell them on easily. No harm done.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Um. It's not like he's setting up a management consultancy or whatever. He needs the most basic level of professionalism most of us have from working retail at some point.

Be presentable, neatly dresses, please, thank you etc...:rolleyes:

Edit: And if it all goes tits up, he'd have learned something and the equipment (iPad, camera etc) hold their value quite well so he could sell them on easily. No harm done.

you must not have tried selling any new (or nearly new) piece of electrical equipment anytime recently.

photography equipment in particular drops significantly in the secondhand market....no matter what price you paid you will be lucky to get 60% of the original price...no matter thats for another day.

OP ...if you do it , be sure to keep us informed, personally I dont think it will work as its too much work for too little reward....I think others have already indicated some of the problems you may encounter - ie. permission to commercially operate on the site, various insurances required, etc ,.....as well as organising yourself to maximise your workflow.

I will pay you a visit and purchase images from you and give you feedback - I'm sure other boardsies would be interested in giving you feedback if you are interested in making a couple of extra sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I have a friend who does this type of work on an ad-hoc basis. Normally the likes of Santa grotto's etc. But thats all it is, on the side, if he isn't busy type of work. His main earner is professional, high end events and photo shoots.

I don't think this is an earner purely as all the sites you mentioned are either private or state managed, you cannot just walk up and start taking photos of people and selling them. If it was allowed, I'd imagine there would already be one or two operators at the Cliff of Moher. The fact that there isn't speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

OP, if I were you I'd set up a simple Google Calandar.

Find out when events with excess of 5,000 people will be on. There are tonnes of events that fly beneath the main public's radar purely because they cater for specific tastes/niches.

There are loads of event websites for Dublin/Ireland.

Air shows / family concerts / xmas events and so on. Then, in between these days, have a few spots where you can trade reasonably unbothered.

Howth / Dun Laoghaire are always busy with families during the summer. If the harbor police (they exist) show up, just act all innocent and leave if they ask you too. Or better yet, inquire to Dun Laoghaire Council as to what a licence might set you back.

For rainy days: Get some business cards done up and cold call leisure centers and offer your services in return for a split of your revenue. I'd say a lot of business would like an additional, fun service for their customers that's also an additional revenue stream for zero out of pocket expenses on their end. Plus, you'll be dry and not sitting at home with nothing coming in. So even if you only make half your usual sales on these days, you're still earning.

If you organise your spots well, and put in 5 days a week, this could be a good earner.

Finally, maybe buy a couple of plain polo tshirts from Pennys. Then have them embroidered with your 'logo'. People feel much better approaching someone who looks 'official'. Plus, any businessman/woman who'll you depend on for access to their premisis and customers would want to do business with someone who has their own shop in order, so to speak. I guess, without a basic uniform, you'll look like some weird photographer who longs for the days of Polaroid. :P

There's a place in the Ilac that does this. If you're not in Dublin I'm sure there is a similar service in your area.

I think if you operate off the top of your head, your business will suffer. But a bit of planning could really boost things for you.

Well folks, Just said I'd update this a bit as I put a lot of work into it over the last while.

Basically I have equipment sourced and priced, packaging sourced, priced and designed, business plan done, market research carried out (which went really well) and as of today have my trade license application submitted to the council.

If the council give me the go ahead my dream is 'nearly' set to become reality. All I would then need is the agreement of a man to use some of his electricity (can't ask him untill I receive the results of the application).

Wish me luck that my application is successful :)
    The wait is a killer.

Tacoooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

On a holiday recently with the missus, we went to a lot of sights some on our own as part of tours, elephants, boat rides, temples etc

At each tour, we had our photo taken by one of the reps, i thought for their facebook page or something. At the end of the tour, the photographer had them printed off in good quality and in a nice display frame with the date and name of the tour.

Total novelty, but of course everyone on the tour bought them! at the time we thought they were a bit of tack but they take pride of place on our bookshelves at home today (they sold them for €5 thats in Vietnam)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Best of luck with it Taco

Hope it goes a bomb for you. Great to see your get-up-and-go attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Good luck to you tacofries.

We took a trip to Belfast last month to the Titanic Exhibition. All visitors had to pass through a large photo booth where they had their photo taken. Everyone was offered a prop like a sailor's hat or a ship's wheel - something that made the picture unique that they couldn't match with their phone cameras. Might be worth bearing in mind.

Thanks Bandara for your comment :) your dead roght Gloomtastic! Help push the impulse buy a bit as well !!

Trade License Granted, And the man who I wanted electricty of said no problem! Nerves are starting to hit me now!!!Time to get the head down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 john2984

tacofries wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I have yet another idea that I am looking for opinions on!

I am thinking of buying a portable lab standard printer and decent camera. I can get kitted out with all equipment for about €800. I plan to take photos' of tourists /families at attractions such as the greenway in mayo,cragh patrick, santas grottos and other local attractions, then print the photo on the spot(in 60 seconds) and package it in a little mount like you get at the zoo. Photos would cost no less than €4 and no more than €5. This is due to the cost per print of €0.40 then packaging which costs €1.40.

Questions for ye guys are:

1) Would you use the service?
    2) How much would you pay to have your photo taken/printed/packaged?
    3) Would you rather the photo packaged in a cardboard picture frame mount, or a branded frame that opens up like a card?
    4) Would you rather just take a picture, for free, yourself with your smartphone?
    5) What footfall do you think I would need in order to sell in the region of 70 photos a day?
    6) Any other advice/opinions?
    1. No, but like most Irish people I'm not your target market.
    2. If I was to buy such a photo as a souvenir on holidays I would probably stretch to €6 if the packaging was good.
    3. I'd rather a frame that can be opened up like a card. This can still be used as a frame on a mantelpiece etc by folding the front of the card towards the back for balance.
    4. Personally yes but it's the people looking for a tangible souvenir/photo to show off are the ones to convince. Differentiation from standard photos by using novelty items to hold for the photo would come in useful here.
    5. Couldn't give an exact figure but a lot! 70 sounds a bit ambitious to start off with to be honest, but may be achievable once you become a bit more experienced and get to know the busiest spots for tourists, nicest views for capturing pictures, best selling techniques etc.
    6. I would say the reference to each location printed on the card (i.e. the prayer on Knock card above) would make the product a lot more attractive to prospective buyers. People interested in this picture will be those who want to associate the picture with where they visited and their holiday so they can show it off when they can back to wherever it is they came from. Someone from America who has never been to Ireland before and/or is unlikely to return again would value having the place they have just visited printed on the card to leave on display for friends/relatives to see.

Good to see you're still enthusiastic about the venture. Best of luck with it.

Well guys, I just said I would write a quick review on the business over the last while...

First off, the grant, which I was told that I would 'most likely be eligible for', fell through. This meant two things:

1) I would have to get a loan in order to fork out a few grand to buy all the equipment myself.
    2) With a loan over my head, I would have to keep my current job as it provided a secure weekly wage which I needed as I am in college.

Thus, as a result of those 2 results, I only managed to spend a very limited amount of hours working on the business.

The first day I opened up was an absolute disaster. I went out to the mountain, set up my equipment and stood still for 5 hours while watching a countless number of people pass me by. What did I learn? Better branding was needed. People needed to know what I was offering and for how little they could have it.

Day 2: I brought out a small sign saying 'Photos €5'. Again, absolute disaster leaving me with the thought of 'Oh F*&k, how am I going to live with this loan over my head'. I nearly cried and only managed to hold back the tears by laughing helplessly. Very **** moment of realisation.

Day 3: I made 3 signs. 2 of them were modest sized simply saying 'Photos €5' with an arrow pointing to my stand. Then just beside my stand was a big f^ck off one which said 'Official Croagh Patrick Photos' in big coloured writing and 'taken, printed and framed in 30 seconds!' in smaller writing. Bingo. People saw the 2 small signs and became interested. They where then met by the big one and found out in very little words exactly what I was offering them. I heard kids saying to their parents that I was selling the 'official' photos. The parents laughed at this, but it made them stop and take in exactly what I was doing. I started to make money.

I spent a number of more days out selling before eventually I built my confidence up and raised the price to €7. People had no problem paying this higher price and every single customer was delighted with what they got.

OVERVIEW

Starting a business is hard and you are certainly going to have your knocks, but if you keep getting up when your down, eventually, unless your business is really bad, you will make some money, and when you do it will be sweetest money you will ever earn. One day I had a fairly constant queue of 2-3 families who were asking me 'would I take their photo', and to hear people actually saying they want to give you their money for something which you created and worked for is amazing and so totally worth it.

With no marketing, I had one woman email me, looking for me to provide my service at 2 events and I had enquiries from a man to an event for him. Unfortunately I could not do these events as for all 3 dates I was working in my other job.

Lessons Learnt

The main thing I have learned is that when you really want your business to work you have to remove all outside distractions. For me this distraction was my job, which ultimately limited the success of the business.

You also have to persevere no matter what. I certainly had my fair share of knocks but I kept on trying untill everything eventually fell into place.

I also firmly believe that you make your own luck and that if you aim for the stars you'll hopefully one day touch the sky.

Overall I lost money and still have a loan over me, but I came up with a unique idea that I turned into a reality. A reality that If I was able to commit fully to would have given me an income which would have been greater than my full-time job.

I have also learnt that I am definitely going places in life :P

I want to thank you guys for all your motivation. It does definitely help!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Well guys, I just said I would write a quick review on the business over the last while...

First off, the grant, which I was told that I would 'most likely be eligible for', fell through. This meant two things:

1) I would have to get a loan in order to fork out a few grand to buy all the equipment myself.
    2) With a loan over my head, I would have to keep my current job as it provided a secure weekly wage which I needed as I am in college.

Thus, as a result of those 2 results, I only managed to spend a very limited amount of hours working on the business.

The first day I opened up was an absolute disaster. I went out to the mountain, set up my equipment and stood still for 5 hours while watching a countless number of people pass me by. What did I learn? Better branding was needed. People needed to know what I was offering and for how little they could have it.

Day 2: I brought out a small sign saying 'Photos €5'. Again, absolute disaster leaving me with the thought of 'Oh F*&k, how am I going to live with this loan over my head'. I nearly cried and only managed to hold back the tears by laughing helplessly. Very **** moment of realisation.

Day 3: I made 3 signs. 2 of them were modest sized simply saying 'Photos €5' with an arrow pointing to my stand. Then just beside my stand was a big f^ck off one which said 'Official Croagh Patrick Photos' in big coloured writing and 'taken, printed and framed in 30 seconds!' in smaller writing. Bingo. People saw the 2 small signs and became interested. They where then met by the big one and found out in very little words exactly what I was offering them. I heard kids saying to their parents that I was selling the 'official' photos. The parents laughed at this, but it made them stop and take in exactly what I was doing. I started to make money.

I spent a number of more days out selling before eventually I built my confidence up and raised the price to €7. People had no problem paying this higher price and every single customer was delighted with what they got.

OVERVIEW

Starting a business is hard and you are certainly going to have your knocks, but if you keep getting up when your down, eventually, unless your business is really bad, you will make some money, and when you do it will be sweetest money you will ever earn. One day I had a fairly constant queue of 2-3 families who were asking me 'would I take their photo', and to hear people actually saying they want to give you their money for something which you created and worked for is amazing and so totally worth it.

With no marketing, I had one woman email me, looking for me to provide my service at 2 events and I had enquiries from a man to an event for him. Unfortunately I could not do these events as for all 3 dates I was working in my other job.

Lessons Learnt

The main thing I have learned is that when you really want your business to work you have to remove all outside distractions. For me this distraction was my job, which ultimately limited the success of the business.

You also have to persevere no matter what. I certainly had my fair share of knocks but I kept on trying untill everything eventually fell into place.

I also firmly believe that you make your own luck and that if you aim for the stars you'll hopefully one day touch the sky.

Overall I lost money and still have a loan over me, but I came up with a unique idea that I turned into a reality. A reality that If I was able to commit fully to would have given me an income which would have been greater than my full-time job.

I have also learnt that I am definitely going places in life :P

I want to thank you guys for all your motivation. It does definitely help!

Wow! Such a great post! I only saw this now and I thought it at first it wouldn't work but reading through your final post I was amazed! Your story is something like you would read in newspapers or see on dragons den! So great. Hard to believe you still lost money? Saying you had a steady queue of people for a while at €7?? How long in total were you 'at it' for?

Such a nice post and very inspirational! Great to see you still got knocks but you went with it. You believed in your idea and you learnt a lot and that's what matters. I'm younger than yourself and I'm currently trying to get one of my 'ideas' off the ground. And you sir have spurred me on that bit more. By the sounds of things you are definitely on the road to making millions! Hahah! Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I have been watching this post from the start and can I just say first great to see the op start the post, comment during the post and then update the post its a pitty more don't update at the end.

Can I ask how long you did it for over the summer?

You say you made a loss, don't look at it as a loss but instead look at it as a success. Firstly, you still have the equipment, second you know you have the drive and commitment to see a plan / dream thru from start to finish, third look at all the experience you have gained. you have probably learnt more from this little venture than a lot of business courses and people could teach you.

You know the business works, you have the equipment. Would it not be worth looking into doing events or continuing your business at weekends or at certain times during the year when its busy?

Great to see someone take on all the advise given, go ahead with there idea and keep us up to date.

Well done on your first business adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

I would echo the above post, whatever the end cost of the project, it was the price of a most valuable learning and experience. Most entrepreneurs do not taste success in their first venture but the good one's take their early experiences and nail then into their next ventures. For many it is a number of attempts before they hit on a winner., they just never quit!

• Advertisement

have spurred me on that bit more.Good luck ;)

Hi Davie,

Only managed to get out doing it about 12 days as I was working and was extremely dependant on the weather (I couldnt afford to buy a tent!). I know 12 days isn't a lot but its allowed me to see that the business is definitely viable.

I saw your post on the sweets and I think you should definitely go for it at the likes of farmers markets and try and get it into local delicacy shops (shops that sell good cheese, wine, local eggs and that sort of thing). Worst case scenario you'll lose a hundred euro...

You say you made a loss, don't look at it as a loss but instead look at it as a success.

You know the business works, you have the equipment. Would it not be worth looking into doing events or continuing your business at weekends or at certain times during the year when its busy?

Well done on your first business adventure.

I did say in my post that I made a loss, but I was actually meant to say 'financially'. I am 100 % assured that overall the business was near a complete success, especially if I was able to commit to it!

I do plan on providing the service at a Santa's grotto for christmas, unfortunately due to college I am missing out on Halloweens fests for children, and a winter wonderland which runs through late November and all of December. I am half thinking about employing someone to do it but I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing that yet as the equipment is very expensive and I have no idea of a possible return. Thus my risk-reward buzzer is sounding!

Thanks very much. Love hearing that I have my own business.
    pedronomix wrote: »
    Most entrepreneurs do not taste success in their first venture but the good one's take their early experiences and nail then into their next ventures. For many it is a number of attempts before they hit on a winner., they just never quit!

From this business I have spotted a big market opportunity for a service which I could expand into. Only problem is that I can't put any more money into it yet!

For the craic I am also going to try out a few honesty boxes at local 'monuments'. I am going to print of a load of photos of the scene, stick them in a box saying 'Honesty box, €2.50 per photo', attach the box to a gate or a wall or something and see what happens! More of an experiment than a business but who knows haha.

One thing I will say is you have to be a dog with a bone in business and really push open every door. I literally harassed, although politely harassed, the Local enterprise board once they said my business wasn't grant eligible. I rang Nuig Innovation Centre to see if they could do anything and I entered the Nuig student enterprise awards and the Irish young entrepreneur award to see if I could get some money to expand into new service areas. Now none of these things have yet to turn up good, but they did definitely spur me on to get of my hole and make it work!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Hi Davie,

Only managed to get out doing it about 12 days as I was working and was extremely dependant on the weather (I couldnt afford to buy a tent!). I know 12 days isn't a lot but its allowed me to see that the business is definitely viable.

I saw your post on the sweets and I think you should definitely go for it at the likes of farmers markets and try and get it into local delicacy shops (shops that sell good cheese, wine, local eggs and that sort of thing). Worst case scenario you'll lose a hundred euro...

Thanks for your response!

I recently left the sweet idea and have new ideas in store (still on the food side of things) And have meet with the enterprise board and everything! They thought it was great and it's hard to get it off the ground! I'm trying to get talking to local cafés and stuff but still hard!!

Great to hear it was still a finically success. You should definitely give it another go next summer. Also I would look into doing events and stuff, it would really get you out there. I was having a few charity events in the past and we rented a photo booth guy and he was there with a professional screen and a great camera and the photo was top class, it automatically took out spots and sores so you looked like a model. There was also props to mess around with and then the photo printed on site so you could keep it. It went down great at my event.

I was ringing him to book him for another charity event and he said he was booked out till late summer next year!! NEXT YEAR!! That was t the only case I rang more people and they were booked out too! So it's definitely worth looking into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The honesty box idea is daft!! Not that tourists/visitors wont use it, your problem is that others will empty any "offerings" and take/mutilate your stock..

As said its more of a social experiment. I do have good faith in people and I do believe people wont take a phot for nothing or empty it off money! Either way it will be interesting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

As said its more of a social experiment. I do have good faith in people and I do believe people wont take a phot for nothing or empty it off money! Either way it will be interesting!!!

Surely your USP is a photograph with the family in it in a nice frame? Why would I pay €2.50 for a photo of a monument which I can take myself.

Its a novelty thing. Not many people can take a good photo. Even less actually go through the effort off printing it off. Not expecting it to be a business but just want to see if novelty sells. Worst case scenario I will lose €2.50 as thats the total expenses for the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Worst case scenario I will lose €2.50 as thats the total expenses for the idea.

Not true. From a business point of view this is incorrect. As a rule anything you buy costs you three times what you paid for it and any income is worth only a third of what you turn over.

In a start up like this, those figures would be several times higher than the factor of three. It was costing me money to be selling 6x4" prints at a €5 each and it took me a long time to see where I was wrong.

The novelty factor may not be quite as novel as once thought, many years ago I came across honesty boxes looking for 50p to find the hidden waterfall or pet the pony so the idea is sound enough and will impact positively on American Tourists who happen to be perhaps the most honest group of people, as a group of people and they will pay for anything they take.

So yes, set aside a chunk of capital for promotion and include a dozen or more prints and write them off like that during the experimental promotional period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its a novelty thing. Not many people can take a good photo. Even less actually go through the effort off printing it off. Not expecting it to be a business but just want to see if novelty sells. Worst case scenario I will lose €2.50 as thats the total expenses for the idea.

I can't remember the last time I printed a photo. That said, I'm probably in the wrong demographic [18 to 25] as opposed to older families with kids who want them on the fridge.

Just one thing, the 'official' aspect of your signage doesn't sit well with me. Its a public and national amenity, so you arn't 'officially' representing it. You are just sitting an 'the brand' so to speak. Also its Croagh Patrick with strong Catholic ties there, so to some you may be seen to be exploiting a place of solitude and pilgrimage for profit. To be clear, I have no religious outlook, its merely an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just one thing, the 'official' aspect of your signage doesn't sit well with me..

I could agree with you, but Joe and Mary public love it and if faced with three competitors, they will do business with the 'official' sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I was at a christening in the UK recently and saw a novel idea for a photographer.

The parents hired the photographer who turns up with all the kit including a computer 2 monitors and a printer. She proceeded to spend the day taking pictures and uploading onto the computer and showing them on the monitors. £4 for a keyring and then varying prices from £5 to £15 for different sized prints. You could also visit her site later and order from there. Never seen anything like that before at a christening or other event and just thought it was a good way for photographer to make cash and parents don't have to splash out. She did very good business too.

Advertisement