Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Property Tax

Options
  • 26-10-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Letters are being issued for next years property tax:mad:

Have a letter here and it says to pay by post it needs to done by the 7th November 2013.:eek:

To pick your payment method online you have until the 27th November 2013
    which i think means if you choose online payment you pay it there and then.

A once off full direct debit will be processed on 21st march 14
    or monthly direct debit on the 15th of each month commencing 15th Jan

More info here
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/lpt-obligations-2014.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They sent my letter to my parents house, despite the fact that I don't live there anymore and my principal place of residence is my apartment in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They sent my letter to my parents house, despite the fact that I don't live there anymore and my principal place of residence is my apartment in Dublin!

Have you informed them of that move though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

This is what happens when you trawl for data across multiple sources with little thought given to quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Full amount due on January 1

Happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

It pays to actually buy\value a house in the lower bracket, as it will bite you as a yearly expense. A lesson to home buyers, get the purchase price below that band which makes it "less expensive" on a yearly basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No Pants wrote: »
    This is what happens when you trawl for data across multiple sources with little thought given to quality.

Its basic economics
    Cost of collecting accurate data V cost of collecting data with allowances for errors

As above did the poster above inform revenue of change if address.

I pay directly from my wages as it's the easiest way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

No Pants wrote: »

Yup. I paid my property tax on time AND they took it again direct from my tenants salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

ted1 wrote: »
    I pay directly from my wages as it's the easiest way
    I paid it as a lump sump this year, but I'll probably take that option this year.

All the council seem to have done round my way this year is hack down the trees. Tree that used to be on our street is gone, same with other streets. Last week they took down a load of trees on the other side of the main road. Don't know what their motivation for that was. I now had a view of the river valley, but it looks weird.

Anyway, off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Didnt pay the household charge, didnt pay 2013 pt , dint pay septic tank charge amd you can guess whats going to happen with this 2014 tax. They can go and fcuk! i dont mind going away inside for non payment because i could do with some time on my own. Sute i could even avail of the free education system when in there at the expense of the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yoloc wrote: »
    Didnt pay the household charge, didnt pay 2013 pt , dint pay septic tank charge amd you can guess whats going to happen with this 2014 tax. They can go and fcuk! i dont mind going away inside for non payment because i could do with some time on my own. Sute i could even avail of the free education system when in there at the expense of the tax payer.

You also don't seem to mind causing other people's electricity bills to get higher, going on your other threads on here. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

MYOB wrote: »
    Have you informed them of that move though?

Several times, yes. It was also ticked as my main place of residence or whatever you had to do on the original form too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Prison is probably the best place for you. Do you pay road tax and car insurance? Or are you a special case?

garhjw wrote: »
    Prison is probably the best place for you. Do you pay road tax and car insurance? Or are you a special case?

Used to just get the guards to stamp a form every few months, say every 6-8 months but theyve seemed to have clossed this loophole now :( but im sure theres away round it somehow lol

MYOB wrote: »
    You also don't seem to mind causing other people's electricity bills to get higher, going on your other threads on here. Classy.

With their permission, aint anything wrong with that IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

With their permission, aint anything wrong with that IMO
    That's not what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

am I the only one who hasn't received a letter re 2014 property tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I dont believe i received one either unless there was post yesterday?? I also don't remember how i paid it last year, i remember being appalled by the lack of confirmation mail from the system knowing full well that id be sitting here now trying to figure out how i had paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

minotour wrote: »
    I dont believe i received one either unless there was post yesterday?? I also don't remember how i paid it last year, i remember being appalled by the lack of confirmation mail from the system knowing full well that id be sitting here now trying to figure out how i had paid it.

I don't think they know either. I paid mine directly, by credit card, in plenty of time. Then six months later they took it again out of my tenants salary.

D3PO wrote: »
    I have received mine and I'm in Berlin ;) Maybe there's some method to the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Got all of mine on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah, that explains why I can't get through on the phone lines to register a place.

I've mine in by direct debit. Need to add another for 2014 though and the phones are off the hook it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

murphaph wrote: »
    I have received mine and I'm in Berlin ;) Maybe there's some method to the madness.

On holidays or living?;) If on holidays then I am really impressed and a little scared. If living then minimum expectation :D

It took 3 years for me to get all Revenue materials sent to my address the last time, then I moved again. They seem to have multiple databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

D3PO wrote: »

From Revenue website:

Revenue will not be writing to you if you paid your 2013 LPT by phased payment method (i.e. deduction at source from salary/occupational pension or from certain Government payments or direct debit) or if you deferred the full charge. Your current payment method will automatically apply for 2014 so there is no need to contact Revenue. However, if you wish to change your payment method, you can do so on-line by using your Property ID, PIN and PPS number by 27 November 2013

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They seem to have multiple databases.
    Yeah I've noticed this as well. I've changed contact details with them several times over the last few years and something always ends up being sent to an old address.

The PAYE & Income Tax/Collector General's data is definitely not linked up. ROS will show one address while PAYE Anytime will show another. I've seen this in my own case myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

you prob wont go to jail, it will just be deducted from any future sale price on your property (your solicitor will have to deduct it from the sale price and issue to revenue), and if you have passed on at that stage your family will have the benefit of a nice big tax bill plus interest and penalties to deal with.

I cant see any way of avoiding it but it is of course your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

are any of the usual suspects exempted from the property tax out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

From Rte news

Property owners who opt to pay the Local Property Tax for 2014 using a debit card, credit card or cheque will have to pay by next month, according to the Revenue Commissioners.

Revenue is to write to 960,000 property owners asking how they intend paying next year's tax.

People who made a single payment this year are asked to contact Revenue to let them know their preferred payment option for 2014.

Revenue has said 46% of householders paid the tax for 2013 by cheque, cash, credit card or debit card.

They will have to contact Revenue in the coming weeks.

Those making paper tax returns must select a payment option by 7 November.

People filling out tax returns online have until 27 November.

Local Property Tax Manager with the Revenue Commissioners Vivienne Dempsey told RTÉ News: "If you are paying at source, so through your wages or your pension, then it will come out on your first payment in January and be spread evenly across the year to December.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

This is appalling. I thought my property tax was due in July next year. Did I just miss all these official deadlines for the coming year being communicated or did they decide the dates like 3 weeks ago?
    They only wrote to me in October saying I hadn't paid this year's when I had.
    No Christmas for me it seems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Ninap wrote: »
    From Revenue website:

Revenue will not be writing to you if you paid your 2013 LPT by phased payment method (i.e. deduction at source from salary/occupational pension or from certain Government payments or direct debit) or if you deferred the full charge. Your current payment method will automatically apply for 2014 so there is no need to contact Revenue. However, if you wish to change your payment method, you can do so on-line by using your Property ID, PIN and PPS number by 27 November 2013

Cheers thanks for that Nina I paid by DD so that makes sense. I don't understand anybody paying up front.

There is no interest penalty for paying monthly DD so why should I give the government all the money up front ?

Insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

Does anyone know what the correct address is for paying by single debit authority ,eg LPT revenue ,because it does not seem to be on web or letter from revenue?

Advertisement