Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Property Tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

D3PO wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for that Nina I paid by DD so that makes sense. I don't understand anybody paying up front.

There is no interest penalty for paying monthly DD so why should I give the government all the money up front ?

Insanity.
    Some bank accounts charge per DD. Might be one reason not to pay that way :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I paid the extortionist bas***ds in cash at the local council office last time. I won’t be answering their letter about how I intend to pay this year. It’s enough to pay the stupid banker-aid tax, which I will reluctantly do but they can take a hike if they expect me to let them know in advance how I intend to pay.

Local and European elections in May of 2014 will give people a chance to let the wan*ers who came up with this tax (Fianna Fail and the horrible Green Party) and the ones who are now holding a gun to people’s heads (Fine Gael and the so-called Labour Party) what they think about their tax ideas. Equally, the people here on Boards.ie who like the property tax idea so much will have a chance to vote again for the people who are picking their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

murphaph wrote: »
    Some bank accounts charge per DD. Might be one reason not to pay that way :confused:

hasn't everybody moved to a bank charge free PTSB account by now ? If not they should ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

Dont think the ebs do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D3PO wrote: »
    There is no interest penalty for paying monthly DD so why should I give the government all the money up front ?

Insanity.

Insanity is a strong word:D
    Some people like the certainty of having bills cleared whether this, their car insurance or whatever. There is really not much benefit in holding off other than a small cashflow improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

solas111 wrote: »
    I paid the extortionist bas***ds in cash at the local council office last time. I won’t be answering their letter about how I intend to pay this year. It’s enough to pay the stupid banker-aid tax, which I will reluctantly do but they can take a hike if they expect me to let them know in advance how I intend to pay.

It matters if you paid up by debit card like i did this year. They now expect me to pay up front again in December for next year i.e. thats 1 & 1/2 years property tax in 2013 . NOT what Enda promised which was 1/2 years property tax in 2013.
    To avoid this I can't pay by debit card but (by letting them know by 27th Nov) have to switch to DD or Single Payment from my bank account in March which at least buys three months

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Limestone1 wrote: »
    It matters if you paid up by debit card like i did this year. They now expect me to pay up front again in December for next year i.e. thats 1 & 1/2 years property tax in 2013 . NOT what Enda promised which was 1/2 years property tax in 2013.
    To avoid this I can't pay by debit card but (by letting them know by 27th Nov) have to switch to DD or Single Payment from my bank account in March which at least buys three months

Enda's promises are about as useful as a candle on a motorbike or watching Ruairi Quinn, hand on heart before the General Election promising not to shaft the students. I pay in cash because it makes it a wee bit awkward for them - they would just love to have everyone pay by direct debit or credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

solas111 wrote: »
    Enda's promises are about as useful as a candle on a motorbike or watching Ruairi Quinn, hand on heart before the General Election promising not to shaft the students. I pay in cash because it makes it a wee bit awkward for them - they would just love to have everyone pay by direct debit or credit card.
    If everyone paid in cash they'd charge even more to cover the admin costs. Biting of your nose to spite your face really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can anyone get through to the clowns in the LPT offices? Still trying to transfer ownership, and the phones just never answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Just sorted my lpt. paid first by card, this time I will pay from disability pension, hope this works out by the week so the basta**s wont get full payment till very last week of 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Limestone1 wrote: »

I don't understand why payments made by debit/credit card must be made by November 27th. The letter I received tells me that this date is only a deadline for selecting and committing to my payment option. However when I log on to the site and choose this option I am brought immediately to another site where I have to make the payment there and then. :(

I am quite happy to tell them I will pay by debit card. Why can't I do this and then log on at a later date to make the actual payment? If the two processes are somehow inseparable, why not extend this deadline until January 1st at the earliest? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

100% agree. I know a person in revenue who said ' the people who make these decisions are so far removed from reality you wouldnt believe'.

This has turned out to be a real " no brainer " for the guy who decided to insist on citizens to pay a 2014 liability in November 2013. Exactly - no brain...!

yet this idiot will still get the support of his senior colleagues because its better to stick together rather than expose a fool in their mist.
    These people dont have to account to anyone and have no ability to understand that some older people may prefer to pay by old fashion cheque and now are penalise by doing so

I don't understand why payments made by debit/credit card must be made by November 27th. The letter I received tells me that this date is only a deadline for selecting and committing to my payment option. However when I log on to the site and choose this option I am brought immediately to another site where I have to make the payment there and then. :(

I am quite happy to tell them I will pay by debit card. Why can't I do this and then log on at a later date to make the actual payment? If the two processes are somehow inseparable, why not extend this deadline until January 1st at the earliest? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I got the letter for the LPT but see that Revenue have the amount due to them from two bands above the band I paid in 2013. Did anyone else encounter this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    I got the letter for the LPT but see that Revenue have the amount due to them from two bands above the band I paid in 2013. Did anyone else encounter this?

Have you checked the amount due online ?? Same happened in my letter but when I logged in to their online, amount due = what I paid x 2 (full year)

I paid last year online , and the letter I received seems to expect I'm going to do the same this year !
    In fact I was planning to pay by cash at my local post office this time round but the letter doesn't tell me how I can notify Revenue of this - still confuded here despite all the Revenue speak on radio & TV over last week !:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Dbu

I have been on hold since 3.40pm
    answered by a call centre and then forwarded to the revenue, voice message now says my call should be answered in 17mins

Its 16.53pm something tells me by five I will get cut off......i hate this crap

This piano is driving me crazy

8 minutes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lovechips

I paid last year online , and the letter I received seems to expect I'm going to do the same this year !
    In fact I was planning to pay by cash at my local post office this time round but the letter doesn't tell me how I can notify Revenue of this - still confuded here despite all the Revenue speak on radio & TV over last week !:confused::confused:

There is an option 6 on the form where you can tick 'full amount' and it says pay cash at one of the service providers. that's the post office or certain shops.I just put x in that box and posted the form back. If they don't sent anything back I'll just go to post office at end december with my details and pay it.

lovechips wrote: »
    There is an option 6 on the form where you can tick 'full amount' and it says pay cash at one of the service providers. that's the post office or certain shops.I just put x in that box and posted the form back. If they don't sent anything back I'll just go to post office at end december with my details and pay it.

Didn't receive a form - just a double sided letter, stating "You should select a payment option online by accessing your LPT REcord via www. revenue.ie etc On the reverse side " A step by step instruction to selecting a payment option online" ????
    The issue is that this year I propose to pay at the Post Office by cash, no mention of how to notify Revenue that I wish to exercise this option in the letter !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lovechips

I received a letter plus a separate form plus a freepost envelope .I paid through the post office last year even though I submitted my details online.
    The form had to be posted back and definately had an option to tick that I would be paying in cash.
    it didn't say if I would get anything back but according to this I bring in my pps number and the post office does the rest.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/payment-options/cash-payments.html#section1

Last year I just got a small receipt nothing too professional and Revenue got my payment.

Appears that if you paid online last year they expect same this year ?? as I didn't get a form or a postfree envelope for reply ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

nor did I.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Had the very same thing when I did my Dad's LPT the weekend before last. You select debit card then it brings you straight to the payments page. you can't even set the payment to be processed 2014. So he had paid his LPT for 2014! He doesn't care to much about it, he says it would be paid one way or another! Does anyone know if he could do a charge back on his debit card if he wanted to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Had the very same thing when I did my Dad's LPT the weekend before last. You select debit card then it brings you straight to the payments page. you can't even set the payment to be processed 2014. So he had paid his LPT for 2014! He doesn't care to much about it, he says it would be paid one way or another! Does anyone know if he could do a charge back on his debit card if he wanted to?

Well, I kind of agree with him, to be honest. I've set up the DD, but the timing is pretty irrelevant. He's right....you do have to pay it one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Johnnio13 wrote: »

Yep, it's saying I owe a balance online. I chose the second band for the property last year even though revenue had it valued in the third band. So now it's saying I owe that balance because I didn't select the correct band. I'll have to ring them to sort it out.

I paid in cash at the post office and I plan to do the same this year but I'm not telling them in advance. I'll just go and pay it the first week in January. When it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I pay in 52 weekly installments, direct from my wages. Can't understand why others don't pay direct from wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Makes me laugh seeing officials on television last night pseudo sympathizing last night with public disquiet on the timing of the January deadline for payment.

It's patently obvious y why the only option that allows 2014 payments involves providing your bank account details.

The no doubt arbitrary and wholesale hikes in tax will only happen once the majority of people are paying at source or directly from a bank account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ted1 wrote: »
    I pay in 52 weekly installments, direct from my wages. Can't understand why others don't pay direct from wages

Personal preference.
    Some people like clearing there bills as soon as possible.

Been on the phone to Revenue LPT helpline this morning since 9.40, spoke briefly to a helpline staff member at 9.55 who put me on hold, its now 10.37, still holding.......and we call this a "public service" ????

Edit : by 11.00, still no answer from the supposed "helpline" . I give up !! Just going to snail mail them and let them like it or else.!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Yep, it's saying I owe a balance online. I chose the second band for the property last year even though revenue had it valued in the third band. So now it's saying I owe that balance because I didn't select the correct band. I'll have to ring them to sort it out.

I paid in cash at the post office and I plan to do the same this year but I'm not telling them in advance. I'll just go and pay it the first week in January. When it's due.

Same here. Just looked online and its telling me I am in arrears for 2013.
    Got through to Abtran in Cork - man on phone told me he wasn't able to connect me with head office (revenue) due to current backlog and to ring back tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

if you choose to pay directly through your wages is it spread out or is it all taken in January? the website and the letter are not clear on this.

Advertisement