Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Property Tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

The suspicion that many people had from the start that the Local Property Tax is nothing more than a confidence trick designed to bail out failed banks and property developers seems to be borne out by recent reports.

The Fianna Fail/ Green Party/ Fine Gael/ Labour Party scam was sold as something that would lead to greatly improved local services, with the money going to local authorities. Now we learn that Dublin City Council has confirmed to councillors that it will not see a share of the local property tax until 2015, reversing an earlier commitment by Phil Hogan to allow council’s retain 80% of the new tax.

It would be difficult to deny that the people who have introduced this bundle of local taxes (LPT, Water Rates and Septic Tank Tax) have lied through their teeth from the very start. These are the people who are charged with running the country in an honest fashion and leading by example, and yet they are bare-faced liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

solas111 wrote: »
    Blah blah blah blah

seriously sick of this type of meaningless [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL], It adds nothing to the conversation. The tax is here, we have to pay it, deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

seriously sick of this type of meaningless [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL], It adds nothing to the conversation. The tax is here, we have to pay it, deal with it.

Thank you for your input Mrs Hogan.

Your post reminded me of the following quotation:

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

that just makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

if you choose to pay directly through your wages is it spread out or is it all taken in January? the website and the letter are not clear on this.
    Spread out over the year in 12 equal payments I believe

• Advertisement

Cool, that what I hoped but I suppose ill have to wait till my January paycheck to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TMC99 wrote: »
    Spread out over the year in 12 equal payments I believe

Or 52 if your paid weekly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I didn't receive a letter last year and had to go online, value and pay. This year yet again I've received no letter.

I've contacted them and they said they'd sort it, but asked if I was PAYE which I'm not.

Are letters just being sent to PAYE people ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Andip wrote: »
    I didn't receive a letter last year and had to go online, value and pay. This year yet again I've received no letter.

Are you registered on ROS? If you are you will most likely receive an e-mail or if you have a tax agent they will receive it.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are you registered on ROS? If you are you will most likely receive an e-mail or if you have a tax agent they will receive it.

Yes I'm regeistered on ROS but no email in there and my accountant hasn't had anything either. Last year I had to do a manual submission and guess at the correct figure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just do the same thing again then. If you know what you are at then you don't really need a letter. Once you put in the valuation for your house they will tell you what liability you have which can be paid online.

My fear is that we have extended the house so the value is higher than the neighbours. I voluntarily paid for a bracket higher last year and hopefully was close to being right; I don't want to pay for a valuation but equally don't want to be hit with arrears if they value it differently, let alone have them onto me because the value is wrong from a manual submission.

I guess I'll have to sit on the phone to them again, but thanks for the help

are you not locked into what you valued it at last time until 2016? I wasn't given any option to change the amount this time.

are you not locked into what you valued it at last time until 2016? I wasn't given any option to change the amount this time.

Maybe I am, haven't received any info so don't know but would make sense - I had hoped Id receive something telling me what bracket I should be paying in, but think for now I'll just pay for same bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Appears that if you paid online last year they expect same this year ?? as I didn't get a form or a postfree envelope for reply ?

I paid by cash in July. Have not received any letter.

Advertisement