Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barrel tips

Options
  • 26-10-2013 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

any one wanna help me on keeping the outside of my barrels looking nice.. ive noticed a few spots coming .. i clean and oil after use but there still appearing :( cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Padd2 wrote: »
    any one wanna help me on keeping the outside of my barrels looking nice.. ive noticed a few spots coming .. i clean and oil after use but there still appearing :( cheers

Padd2,
    Where are you storing the firearm? Is it humid? I would get the firearm into a silicone treated sock, like this, and try a dehumidifier.

Also, remember that cold air holds less moisture than warm. So a cooler spot may help.

Aside from that, all I do is wipe the barrels down with Rem Oil, Hoppe's, or a gun wipe.

You do not keep the firearm in foam packing, do you? I have seen spots in firearms kept in cases. I suppose the foam retards air circulation and allows moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

FISMA has the truth of it - egg-box or flat - foam is NOT your friend for storing your guns of any kind.

Transportation = fine.

Storage = take it out ASP and put in a safe with a HUGE bag of silica gel. I also have a low-voltage safe-warmer that just maintains a constant temperature in each of my gun safes.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Padd2

hey lads my gun is wiped down and sprayed in gun oil after every use..itstored in a gun saafe which is located inside my chlothes wardrobe ? i might change my oil and see if that helps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.thegunstore.ie/eu/guns/brunox-gun-oil.html

I think this is a good option. Something that displaces the moisture. They use this in industrial applications which is where it came from.

i dunno im bate to be honest ill trow up a pic and ye can have a look

• Advertisement

Shotgun or rifle? You don't say.

Anyhow, we were talking about this at the range this morning, and one of the members - an RFD - mentioned that IF the spots are appearing in the same location every time, that it just might be a fault in the blueing/blacking [whatever] that is causing it to appear.

If you look at the spots under a loupe or good magnifying glass, does the surface appear pitted in any way, no matter how small it might be?

If it is, then you have an under-blueing residual fault, due to the barrel not having been correctly cleaned off - usually by the application of some sort of acid, before the final finish was applied.

We really need to see the marks - so use your camera macro faciity to help us help you out.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Shotgun or rifle? You don't say.

Anyhow, we were talking about this at the range this morning, and one of the members - an RFD - mentioned that IF the spots are appearing in the same location every time, that it just might be a fault in the blueing/blacking [whatever] that is causing it to appear.

If you look at the spots under a loupe or good magnifying glass, does the surface appear pitted in any way, no matter how small it might be?

If it is, then you have an under-blueing residual fault, due to the barrel not having been correctly cleaned off - usually by the application of some sort of acid, before the final finish was applied.

We really need to see the marks - so use your camera macro faciity to help us help you out.

tac

It's a shotgun 12g

Ah, I see that you mean. The blueing/blacking is VERY thin at that point - is the gun old?

tac

Ah, I see that you mean. The blueing/blacking is VERY thin at that point - is the gun old?

tac

I have no idea I bought the gun off a rfd .. Have it about a month .. It's was second hand .. Lovely tight gun seen very few cartridges ....... Until I got my hands on it .. Those marks were not on it wen I got it .. Here's a pic .. My licence says it's called English other than that I've no info on this gun

The finish on the gun at that point is well-worn, IMO. These days the only guns marked 'English' are guns that are decidedly NOT English. Can you have a look at the barrel flats and the action table - the flat bit you see when the barrel is removed. If it is English it should be stamped up like a mad stamper's dream with either London or Birmingham Proof House stamps and loads of numbers and letters - so should the barrels at the breech ends.

If, on the other paw, it has ELG with a crown anywhere on it, then it is Belgian and a lot older than you think. We need to see the marks, please, and in focus. I have to say that right now it looks Russian [Baikal] or maybe Turkish [Huglu or Yildiz] to me, but definitely NOT English.

I think that it is an old gun with little use that has been resting on pegs - especially if the thin blue is underneath the barrel. Single barrel shotguns are VERY rare in England, especially MADE in England, and the design of the stock, particularly at the wrist with that long rounded grip, is decidedly continental.

So hit me if I'm wrong.

tac

• Advertisement

The finish on the gun at that point is well-worn, IMO. These days the only guns marked 'English' are guns that are decidedly NOT English. Can you have a look at the barrel flats and the action table - the flat bit you see when the barrel is removed. If it is English it should be stamped up like a mad stamper's dream with either London or Birmingham Proof House stamps and loads of numbers and letters - so should the barrels at the breech ends.

If, on the other paw, it has ELG with a crown anywhere on it, then it is Belgian and a lot older than you think. We need to see the marks, please, and in focus. I have to say that right now it looks Russian [Baikal] or maybe Turkish [Huglu or Yildiz] to me, but definitely NOT English.

I think that it is an old gun with little use that has been resting on pegs - especially if the thin blue is underneath the barrel. Single barrel shotguns are VERY rare in England, especially MADE in England, and the design of the stock, particularly at the wrist with that long rounded grip, is decidedly continental.

So hit me if I'm wrong.

tac

Off hand I recall a stamp on the action and under the chamber of the barrell it has a load if numbers as well .. I'll throw up a picture wen I get home I'm at the missus

Ta.

tac

Ta.

tac

This is the marking or stap :/

Well, stap me. Birmingham nitro proof, 3" shells, 3.5 tpsi and 12g. Proof marks from this or last year, too. Lots of marks you haven't shown us though....

Still, not an English-made gun IMO - there are no single barrel English-made guns any more in this grade. There SHOULD be a marker's name on it somewhere - that's the LAW.

I'm still of the opinion that the blueing is simply thin at this point, allowing the [lack of proper] finish to generate a rust spot. The only real cure at this point is to have the barrel re-blacked.

tac

Well, stap me. Birmingham nitro proof, 3" shells, 3.5 tpsi and 12g. Proof marks from this or last year, too. Lots of marks you haven't shown us though....

Still, not an English-made gun IMO - there are no single barrel English-made guns any more in this grade. There SHOULD be a marker's name on it somewhere - that's the LAW.

I'm still of the opinion that the blueing is simply thin at this point, allowing the [lack of proper] finish to generate a rust spot. The only real cure at this point is to have the barrel re-blacked.

tac
    It must be a mystery gun cause the only other marking on the beast is a serial number :/

It must be a mystery gun cause the only other marking on the beast is a serial number :/

What do those numbers or stamp represent ??

What do those numbers or stamp represent ??

Please read post #15 and 16. ;)

tac

Please read post #15 and 16. ;)

tac

Any idea in the age of gun no ?

Without any kind of a maker's name on it, and not knowing the maker's records, you are on a loser there. It was Birmingham proofed last or this year - BNP [Birmingham Nitro proof] a pre-requisite of sale in the UK according to English Proof Law, and the CIP agreement. I still maintain that it was not made in England - even I have seen enough English-made guns to see that. However, wherever it was made, it had to be proofed before sale in UK - that's the law, and it passed. The 3.5 tons is the maximum pressure in tons per square inch achieved successfully in proof. The 3 is the length of the cartridge in inches - NOT Magnum BTW, and the .729" is the nominal bore diameter of a 12gauge barrel. There is no mention of a choke, so we must assume that it is cylinder-bored.

If the barrel had a sling swivel on it that would be the positive proof of non-Englishness. The English do NOT use slings on shotguns of any kind.

I'm sorry if this has been an exercise in futility for you.

tac

Without any kind of a maker's name on it, and not knowing the maker's records, you are on a loser there. It was Birmingham proofed last or this year - BNP [Birmingham Nitro proof] a pre-requisite of sale in the UK according to English Proof Law, and the CIP agreement. I still maintain that it was not made in England - even I have seen enough English-made guns to see that. However, wherever it was made, it had to be proofed before sale in UK - that's the law, and it passed. The 3.5 tons is the maximum pressure in tons per square inch achieved successfully in proof. The 3 is the length of the cartridge in inches - NOT Magnum BTW, and the .729" is the nominal bore diameter of a 12gauge barrel. There is no mention of a choke, so we must assume that it is cylinder-bored.

If the barrel had a sling swivel on it that would be the positive proof of non-Englishness. The English do NOT use slings on shotguns of any kind.

I'm sorry if this has been an exercise in futility for you.

tac
    It can't take magnums so .. I'm just curious bout the gun tbh and with no name on it it was hard to get any info :) thanks tac your a gent

• Advertisement

A gun-dealer pal of mine said this morning that these are called 'passage guns' - they pass through the UK to get proofed, and then end up elsewhere, sold as an 'English gun' on the basis of the proof marks. That's the international LEGAL arms trade for you.

As for helping out a fellow shooter, isn't that what we are here for?

Best

tac

A gun-dealer pal of mine said this morning that these are called 'passage guns' - they pass through the UK to get proofed, and then end up elsewhere, sold as an 'English gun' on the basis of the proof marks. That's the international LEGAL arms trade for you.

As for helping out a fellow shooter, isn't that what we are here for?

Best

tac

Thanks for all the help (patience) haha
    Paddy

Advertisement