Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gabba: expensive luxury or a great jacket worth the money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am also not convinced that the Gabba is a totally brilliant thing.

Maybe for long winter rides in torrential rain, but I'm too soft for that.

It seems to work OK at about 6-10C. Any warmer and I'm roasting, even in shorts and leg warmers. Any colder and I can really feel the cold coming through.

For really cold weather I'd still pick my club winter jacket which has some thicker insulation.

The problem is that in that narrow temp range where it works I'd be just as happy in SS jersey, base layer and arm warmers. And at the warmer end I could shed the arm warmers when the sun comes out.

That said it's a nice fit and I'm not sorry I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

does it only come in 2 colours? I wouldnt mind a red one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Black, blue and fluoro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wore mine today on my commute into work with just a vest base layer under it ~ 2-3 degrees and it was nice and warm for me.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2657896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would people think it better to opt for the convertable version so as to get the ability to use it on warmer days or would the 'jersey' to to warm to be worn normally (if you can see what I mean!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

personally the short sleeve with fleecy arm warmers (nano or Sportful no rain) are a very good alternative. for winter the long sleeve is definitely a good investment. you'd need a base layer underneath obviously.
    swimcyclerun.com have the long sleeve at 149 euro currently... a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

markusz wrote: »
    personally the short sleeve with fleecy arm warmers (nano or Sportful no rain) are a very good alternative. for winter the long sleeve is definitely a good investment. you'd need a base layer underneath obviously.
    swimcyclerun.com have the long sleeve at 149 euro currently... a bargain.

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/weekly-special-offers/castelli-gabba-long-sleeve-jersey.html

:eek:

That is some deal alright!

Love my Gabba, surprised at how warm it is when commuting. Just have a normal base layer and I already feel too hot almost by the time I arrive. The wind stopping ability is superb, and it's fine in 30 minutes of a downpour too! Would recommend, especially at that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Lumen wrote: »
    I am also not convinced that the Gabba is a totally brilliant thing.

Maybe for long winter rides in torrential rain, but I'm too soft for that.

It seems to work OK at about 6-10C. Any warmer and I'm roasting, even in shorts and leg warmers. Any colder and I can really feel the cold coming through.

For really cold weather I'd still pick my club winter jacket which has some thicker insulation.

The problem is that in that narrow temp range where it works I'd be just as happy in SS jersey, base layer and arm warmers. And at the warmer end I could shed the arm warmers when the sun comes out.

That said it's a nice fit and I'm not sorry I bought it.

I wore it even last summer in more than one occasion, during some cloudy days or when the weather looked dodgie at 15/18C, obviously without any baselayer... While I was certainly unzipping it during a climb, it works well on flat and descents... and it frees up a jersey pocket not having a gilet to carry around.
    I love mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I see swim cycle run still have the discount on the ss gabba 2. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this and getting the nanoflex arm warmers on wiggle. Im 80kg and 42inch chest-anyone have the xxl and what's the fit like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I see swim cycle run still have the discount on the ss gabba 2. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this and getting the nanoflex arm warmers on wiggle. Im 80kg and 42inch chest-anyone have the xxl and what's the fit like?

That's not my size but it sounds like you may be going too large with your sizing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sounds too big for you. I'm 44 chest and 90-95 Kg and XL fits me perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes xl would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭park500

I'm 88kg, 42 inch chest. I have the xxl long sleeve and its a snug fit.The xl would be too small for me.

park500 wrote:
    I'm 88kg, 42 inch chest. I have the xxl long sleeve and its a snug fit.The xl would be too small for me.
    I thought so according to the castelli sizing guide alright.

Im 84kg and the Xl is perfect, meant to be race fitting.

The alpha jacket is excellent too, great price here http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/569845

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I'm 6'4" 90kg. I sent back the XXL it was faaaar too big. Xl is perfect it wouldn't be that effective vs cold if it was too big.

Bobshop have the convertible for 209. Anyone buy a gabba from them? Would it be a trusted website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

slap/dash wrote: »
    I'm 6'4" 90kg. I sent back the XXL it was faaaar too big. Xl is perfect it wouldn't be that effective vs cold if it was too big.

would you not need to layer up underneath like in video linked guy has team jersey underneath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnzOy6Pl9uY

sure this link has been on this thread already.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=gabba&s=u

If you know anyone in the states.The convertible is a steal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pity this wasn't a few months ago before the exchange rate got so ugly

mossym wrote: »
    pity this wasn't a few months ago before the exchange rate got so ugly

Ya ,but a lot cheaper even at that price its 1/2 the price of wiggle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there any where in dublin to try these on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

godtabh wrote: »
    Is there any where in dublin to try these on?

As far as I recall Base2Race in Ballymount sell Castelli and have had Gabbas in stock in the past. Since they're part of, or at least connected to, Amphibian King, you might also have some success in their shops, though they are only in Base2Race and Bray near Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ballymount and Bray are about the same distance away from em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

cython wrote: »
    As far as I recall Base2Race in Ballymount sell Castelli and have had Gabbas in stock in the past. Since they're part of, or at least connected to, Amphibian King, you might also have some success in their shops, though they are only in Base2Race and Bray near Dublin.

Nope, B2R are the cycling store. AK only stock running shoes and accessories so not available anywhere else (Bray or Galway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

godtabh wrote: »
    Ballymount and Bray are about the same distance away from em

I have an XL large to try on, I'm based in Stillorgan is that's any good for you.

Dinging wrote: »
    I have an XL large to try on, I'm based in Stillorgan is that's any good for you.

I think I need 2xl thats why I want to try it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭park500

I've xxl if you would like to try.
    Living D6,working D22.

Thanks for the offers. Will look around to see if I can find in store first as I dont want to be putting any one out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

FitzCycles in Stillorgan stock Castelli gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Bobshop have the convertible for 209. Anyone buy a gabba from them? Would it be a trusted website?

Yes, bobshop are fine to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Has anyone tried a Gabba under a jersey. am here in Cork for the kanturk 3 day and it hasn't stopped raining the last 24 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Bambaata wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a Gabba under a jersey. am here in Cork for the kanturk 3 day and it hasn't stopped raining the last 24 hours!

from non cycling experience putting a non waterproof layer over a waterproof layer defeats both.

Better to have a non permeable rainshell over something quick drying and breathable like a lifa top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I wore a jersey over mine today, didn't get wet through, though I was expecting maybe the shoulders to give way.

After this week, the gabba is the best thing after the bike I have bought for cycling

Thinking about a Gabba or some of the Assos equivalents. Does this seem like a good price?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-gabba-2-long-sleeve-jersey-ss15/rp-prod122847

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Thinking about a Gabba or some of the Assos equivalents. Does this seem like a good price?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-gabba-2-long-sleeve-jersey-ss15/rp-prod122847

very expensive. check wiggle and evans for sales as Short sleeve is only 118 the other day. wiggle have SS Garmin one for 104.

I would be looking the long sleeve version for winter. I have enough short sleeved tops at present. Will keep an eye out. Though that is reduced from £185.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Thats not a bad price.
    Little cheaper on wiggle, 165 i think.
    cheapest ive seen it is on swimcyclerun.ie for 150, dont think youl get it that cheap again.
    I'd buy at 165 if you were thinking about it.
    checked a couple of the german sites, 209e.

Being up in the north I am obviously dealing in a different currency to you boys so not sure what is showing up on your screens. Wiggle are sold out of the size and colour I'm looking. SCR have it at £138, Evans £175 and CRC is £125. CRC is my local shop so I might call down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Gabba jackets are just another item to be worn by road tax dodging cyclists as they ride illegally three abreast along footpaths scaring the lives out of pensioners who are waiting years for their hip operations and who sit at home freezing, too poor to put the heating on.

• Advertisement

No sizes left in CRC ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I would be looking the long sleeve version for winter. I have enough short sleeved tops at present. Will keep an eye out. Though that is reduced from £185.

Hi Jim,
    The gabba is great for wet and fairly mild conditions. If it's wet AND cold you'd need something better. In this year's Orwell Randonee I wore an Assos Air Jacket (very warm but not waterproof), with a standard rain jacket. It rained all day and was cold but I never felt it. A week earlier I wore the Gabba on the tour of Wicklow in similar conditions and nearly froze to death. I wore the gabba in the rain yesterday with no jersey or base layer and it was fine.

RB

Red Belly wrote: »
    Hi Jim,
    The gabba is great for wet and fairly mild conditions. If it's wet AND cold you'd need something better. In this year's Orwell Randonee I wore an Assos Air Jacket (very warm but not waterproof), with a standard rain jacket. It rained all day and was cold but I never felt it. A week earlier I wore the Gabba on the tour of Wicklow in similar conditions and nearly froze to death. I wore the gabba in the rain yesterday with no jersey or base layer and it was fine.

RB

Right! I am looking something for those really cold days and the chance of rain. I think I am covered with my current jacket for the milder conditions. Im a bit of an Assos fan at the minute but not a fan of the price haha. I will look out for a warm jacket and rain jacket. Trying to get some deals now before the prices go back up again in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Right! I am looking something for those really cold days and the chance of rain. I think I am covered with my current jacket for the milder conditions. Im a bit of an Assos fan at the minute but not a fan of the price haha. I will look out for a warm jacket and rain jacket. Trying to get some deals now before the prices go back up again in October.

Assos, Castelli Alpha or maybe Prendas winter jacket.

Time to buy wintrr gear is late spring/early summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How does the gabba rank against the Altura Varium? My Varium while still in excellent condition is black and I want to get a brighter colour for winter wear. I love the Varium, very warm, rain/wind proof and a great fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

You're probably aware already but just in case do check on www.assosfactoryoutlet.com

Rb

Red Belly wrote: »
    You're probably aware already but just in case do check on www.assosfactoryoutlet.com

Rb

Yeah, it's collected a few pounds off me this year. Cheers anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

An alternative to the gabba is: https://velorevolution.selz.com/item/55383c1db798720be4c318bc

bloody great tops

I have a Castelli Alpha jacket and find it perfect for winter weather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had a feeling it would happen so was keeping an eye open, but swimcyclerun have dropped the price of their gabba 2 now as well, also at 165 and have sizes available(only place that had a large in stock for example)

i'll be putting an original gabba up on the classifieds here soon...

Advertisement