Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye primer

• 26-10-2013 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a good primer for my eyes as I have oily lids and find that a lot of shadows crease on me.

I have the Urban Decay potion and find it useless. It does nothing. I've tried a Catrice primer and it did nothing and I've got MAC Painterly, but again, the shadows crease.

I've heard amazing things about the NARS Primer, but its expensive at €25, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy it and then find it doesn't work and also €25 is a lot to spend on a primer too. Is it worth €25?

http://www.narscosmetics.com/complexion/primers/~/smudge-proof-eyeshadow-base

Is there any good primers out there, that will help my shadow to last a few hours without creasing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I sometimes use my Smashbox Photofinish Primer on my lids. It's expensive at about €40 for a large tube but I have mine over 4 years and only starting to come to the end of it now.

Alternatively you could try putting translucent powder over your primer before you apply eyeshadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I have an eye primer by Bare Minerals that works really well. The only potential problem is it has a gold shimmer through it. It's very subtle, but it might not suit for day-to-day wear.

It came as part of a set, so it might be worth asking if they have any plainer ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Valentina wrote: »
    I sometimes use my Smashbox Photofinish Primer on my lids. It's expensive at about €40 for a large tube but I have mine over 4 years and only starting to come to the end of it now.

Alternatively you could try putting translucent powder over your primer before you apply eyeshadow.
    I have the oil free version of that and have tried it to no avail.
    jokettle wrote: »
    I have an eye primer by Bare Minerals that works really well. The only potential problem is it has a gold shimmer through it. It's very subtle, but it might not suit for day-to-day wear.

It came as part of a set, so it might be worth asking if they have any plainer ones.
    I don't mind if there's a subtle shimmer at all. Do you know the name of the primer? There's a few of them listed on Debenhams website http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigate?sfv=Prep+%2B+Prime&ps=default&catalogId=10001&lid=%2F%2Fproductsuniverse%2Fen_GB%2Fproduct_online%3DY%2Fcategories%3C%7Bproductsuniverse_59001%7D%2Fbrand_description%3E%7Bbareminerals%7D%2Fgender_s%3E%7Bprep202b20prime%7D&langId=-1&sfn=PRODUCT+CATEGORIES&storeId=10052&pn=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Mine is the Prime Time brightening eye primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

The essence eye primer is fantastic and a snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

The MUA one is meant to be great, dirt cheap too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

I currently use Soap and Glory It's About Prime (in the bright light shade). Has a tiny bit of shimmer to it. Absolutely love it, only ever really wear eyeshadow on nights out and it keeps it in place all night, no creases/smudges whatsoever. It's €11.50 in Boots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I have used the Benefit Stay Don't Stray and I have found it brilliant. It's a concealer as well as an eye primer.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I will check them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Too faced is supposed to rival udpp and nars so might be worth a try, think it might be expensive though, shadow insurance I think its called

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Can I ask what shadows you are using that would crease?

Since you have tried a lot of good primers and they aren't working for you it makes me think that trying different eye shadows might be a better route to take at this point. Some shadows just won't play nice with oily skin no matter what you put on underneath them.

How you apply shadows can make a big difference too. Always go over the shadow with a blending brush, this will make sure there is no loose powder that will inevitably fall and settle into any creases nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

+1 for the Essence base, it's a little gem!

Can I ask what shadows you are using that would crease?

Since you have tried a lot of good primers and they aren't working for you it makes me think that trying different eye shadows might be a better route to take at this point. Some shadows just won't play nice with oily skin no matter what you put on underneath them.

How you apply shadows can make a big difference too. Always go over the shadow with a blending brush, this will make sure there is no loose powder that will inevitably fall and settle into any creases nearby.
    All eye shadows bar Bobbi Brown powder shadows crease on me, even the Bobbi cream shadows crease, so its definitely my lids, rather than the shadows. I have MAC, Clinique, Catrice, Essence, Maybelline, Urban Decay, Bobbi Brown, IsaDora, Rimmel, Revlon, Clarins and other brands and they all crease bar Bobbi's powder shadows.

I put translucent powder on my lids before shadow goes on, and have tried putting it on after, and I still have creasing, I also use a blending brush to blend my shadows and so there is no loose powder.

Even when I'm not wearing eyeshadow and I just have foundation on my lids, after about an hour it creases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

The Nars eye primer is worth it, IMO.

Also, re: cream shadows - have you ever tried the Laura Mercier Caviar eye sticks? I mean, I always shy away from cream shadows because everything creases on me. But I tried these by chance recently and am amazed at them! None to *very* minimal creasing throughout the day.

Advertisement