Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too early to move plants?

• 26-10-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

I've big plans for my front and back gardens which involves moving some plants to new new places.

I was wondering if the following could be moved now or should I wait another few weeks? :-

Mahonia
    Cotoneaster
    White Currant
    Raspberry Joan J (Autumn fruiting and still going strong- was fruiting last year until late December!)
    Grape (Table, cant remember variety)
    Apple - Dabinett

Thanks for any advice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cotonester are pretty well unkillable, so you could move that. Mahonia would probably be ok too, though if it is in flower it might be as well to cut off the flowers. Current would be ok too. I wouldn't try and move raspberries in fruit. Apple is hardly a plant, what age of a tree is it, and how big? It would need to have lost all its leaves anyway. Grapes, I have no idea :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I think most things will appreciate going into holes that have been prepared and left to settle for a few weeks. So it might work out well to get the planting sites ready now and then move them later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The non-evergreens are dormant when the leaves have gone. They are safe to move then.

Mahonia... What size is it? They are in full flower at the moment. If you need to move anything in full bloom I would try to disturb as little of the rootball as possible. So take a good bit of the soil with it. May not be possible if it is a huge plant.

Cotoneaster, as said above, are hard to kill, work away with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, I think I'll leave the Mahonia for another month or so as it is in full bloom at the moment. Its about three years old so not very tall yet, but thats why I want to move it now while I can.
    The apple tree is only three years old but hasn't grown a huge amount as the location its in has very dry soil, which i why i'm going to move it somewhere it will be happier in. The raspberries are going strong so maybe will leave those for another month too.

The Cotoneaster sounds like its a go as well as the currant bush which has lost half its leaves by now anyhow so is definitely shutting down for the winter.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement