Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you guys fans of just Anime/Manga, or more Japanese pop-culture?

Options
  • 26-10-2013 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

So, a question that just kinda popped into my head. Do you guys just like Anime & Manga exclusively? Or do you have an interest in Japanese pop culture in general, or even obsessed with everything Japanese?

And if so, why do you think that is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Mainly manga and a bit of anime and some games really. Don't have a huge amount of interest in the country itself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im obsessed with anime,dont bother with books though,I do enjoy listening to the music but dont any bands or anything,songs like this one below now is the kind of music I like :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I fell in love with the culture when I went over there years ago (and again last month :D) and now it's a bit of both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Well, I'm studying Japanese in college and currently living in Japan so I guess you could say I'm interested in other aspects of Japanese culture aside from anime and manga haha :P Watching anime was how my interest in Japan in general started though.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I love Japanese culture as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Japan is an amazing place to visit, but must be a bit stressful to live there Konata? I really fell in love with the country though, it's just amazing.

I speak a little Japanese too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Links234 wrote: »
    Japan is an amazing place to visit, but must be a bit stressful to live there Konata? I really fell in love with the country though, it's just amazing.

I speak a little Japanese too :p

Ah it's not too bad. College is stressful as I have about 20 times more work to do than I did in Ireland but day to day life is grand. Luckily I live within walking distance of my college so I don't have to deal with rush hour on the trains every day :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I want to visit japan :(

=^.^=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I want to visit japan :(

=^.^=

Do!

But bring lots of money, that's for sure ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

that's the problem, no money. One day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I think it was Anime and Manga that had me interested in Japanese culture. I just find myself loving the culture more. I enjoy watching NHK World and shows like Kawaii International and documentaries on the traditional culture, festivals. As a cosplayer I love Japanese costumes (which began from anime) and their costuming culture. My dream would be to live and work in Japan for a year even though it would be difficult, but want to try. Thankfully here in Ireland I am involved with the Experience Japan Festival and eager to join Japanese cultural groups. I have been fascinated by Japanese culture and anime/manga over a decade now. I am back studying the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I would say I'm a fan of Japanese culture in general.

I've been obsessed with Japan since I was about five or six. I was given a hand-me-down book that was all about the different types of homes that people lived in around the world. Really old and not especially accurate (igloos, etc) but it had drawings of the old wooden houses in Japan and had people in beautiful kimonos and since that moment I was hooked. I got into anime and manga because they were from Japan rather than the other way around.

I think it's mostly the "aesthetic" I like, if that makes sense. I appreciate the Japanese artistic sense of beauty, particularly the more traditional stuff. I also adore koto music.

That said, I listen to Japanese pop and rock and anime soundtracks. I listen to stuff in Japanese that I probably wouldn't listen to if they were in English. Not understanding the language probably helps with that!

I would love to visit Japan, especially Kyoto, but I know it's somewhere I could never live. If it's anything like what I've heard (always feeling like an outsider, women being expected to take a more subordinate role) then that's definitely something I couldn't live with my whole life. But I'd still love to visit and experience the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Anime introduced me to the culture and my own research on it has made me fall in love with it. At this point my immediate goal is to live and work there to experience it first hand.

Advertisement