Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13.8 billion years in the making - Cosmos 2014

Options
  • 27-10-2013 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Cant wait.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Looking forward to it, but...

This will probably upset your average Fox viewer who thinks that the Earth & the Heavens were only created 6,000 years ago. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Should be good, but can't see it been as fantastic as the original with Carl Sagan. What a man! what a series! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

This will probably upset your average Fox viewer who thinks that the Earth & the Heavens were only created 6,000 years ago. :pac:

Whatever age it is has no relevance in terms of explaining its origin, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Whatever age it is has no relevance in terms of explaining its origin, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that :rolleyes:

A science forum is not the place to be discussing magic sky people and creationism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Shut up.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A science forum is not the place to be discussing magic sky people and creationism.

Not to mention the 'big bang' silliness.
    Shut up.

Past your bedtime kiddie.

What you refer to as 'Big Bang silliness' is accepted as a scientific reality.

What is your basis for referring to as 'silliness'? Bearing in mind that this is a Science forum & not a religious forum, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not to mention the 'big bang' silliness.

Past your bedtime kiddie.

I'm sorry, which one of us needs promises of goodies or threats of the bogeyman to make us behave again?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Can mod's just ban obvious troll. I loved the original COSOMS and watched the trailer above that gave me the shivers (in a good way). So exciting and Neil degrasse tyson is such a great choice. Then I have to read down to be reminded people still believe in magic men in the sky which puts a downer on my mood. Science forums should be able to be much more stricter as it is not a belief system like on the religious forums where you have huge battles on who is right and wrong. Science is science and people who post otherwise should probably be warned and then banned.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Can mod's just ban obvious troll... Science is science and people who post otherwise should probably be warned and then banned.

Your attempt to ban freedom of speech is seriously sad and should make yourself look in the mirror. Why are you so insecure that you don't want anyone to question your dearly-held scientific 'beliefs'?... and then you pretend to be less intolerant than your religious counterparts. What a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Your attempt to ban freedom of speech is seriously sad and should make yourself look in the mirror. Why are you so insecure that you don't want anyone to question your dearly-held scientific 'beliefs'?... and then you pretend to be less intolerant than your religious counterparts. What a joke.

this is a discussion about Cosmos can you move over to the Religion & Spirituality section if you have an issue. goodluck.

I take it that you won't be watching the programme then. So why not let posters who believe in science discuss it without your religion-influenced interference?

I'd imagine that if the tables were turned we'd not be viewed too kindly by posters in the Religion forums.

Turn the other cheek if you will.

On the other hand if you wish to tell us how old you know the Universe to be & the basis for that - we'd be delighted to hear it. Otherwise I'd probably have to agree with the previous poster's assessment of you being a troll.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Also looking forward to this. Sagan's 1980 original Cosmos was utterly groundbreaking so this new one has an awful lot to live up to.

Also looking forward to two space-themed films coming soon - Gravity and The Last Days On Mars.

I took it you were a troll but if you are not then i apologise.

This little story might put things into perspective a bit. I was at a restaurant the last night and we were having a conversation about vegetarian food (since it was a veggie restaurant). Then all of a sudden one person just started talking about shoes and handbags out of nowhere. Threw the whole conversation off and the good conversation went a bit downhill after.

For me your comments were exactly like talking about handbags. Only difference is science can prove a handbag exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

God I hope Fox don't make a hash of this. Love de Grasse Tyson btw

When I was a nipper back in the 70's my Dad gave me a real interest in Astronomy & all things related to space. From satellite spotting in the garden at night (which I still do) to trips to Dunsink.

Watching the original Cosmos really brought it to another level. I'm really hoping that the new version will do the same for my kids & many others. With modern production techniques, plus the massive advances in our knowledge - I'd imagine that Cosmos 2014 will be fairly spectacular & with Neil involved - scientifically accurate too.

Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I remember watching the series on RTE back in the early eighties; I must have been about 10 or 12. I was fascinated: I'd never seen anybody present so much information about so much with so much patience, wit and passion. Looking forward to the de Grasse Tyson version. The perfect man for the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Brilliant show, cant wait for the re-make. Wish I had seen it as a kid.

Also looking forward to the Terence Malicks ' Voyage of Time '.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Wow, when I saw the title, I thought you were talking about the upcoming Cosmos 2014 Star Party in Tullamore next April... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This looks GREAT! Pity we won't have Sagan presenting it but whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

Probably just me but I cringed when I saw this. I find Neil deGrasse Tyson way, way too pompous. Found Carl Sagan somewhat the same (though maybe not as bad). I also seriously dislike that trailer. Why does it have to look like a magic show? Is deGrasse Tyson a mystic after all? Sagan seemed to fancy himself in that department too. In my book, there's no room for spirituality in science. Maybe it'll inspire a few kiddies, but don't think it's for me.

ps200306 wrote: »
    Probably just me but I cringed when I saw this. I find Neil deGrasse Tyson way, way too pompous. Found Carl Sagan somewhat the same (though maybe not as bad). I also seriously dislike that trailer. Why does it have to look like a magic show? Is deGrasse Tyson a mystic after all? Sagan seemed to fancy himself in that department too. In my book, there's no room for spirituality in science. Maybe it'll inspire a few kiddies, but don't think it's for me.

Where can I get your book? Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Where can I get your book? Sounds interesting.
    It is, but unfortunately it's out of print.
    Anything you want to know, just ask.
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ps200306 wrote: »

If you watch some other video of NDeGT, you'll see he is quite a humble and good humoured guy. Have a look for his interview with John Colbert on youtube, excellent stuff. If anyone took themselves too seriously it was Carl Sagan , but that still didn't detract from the show.

I just hope some of the graphics are from the same guys who did Gravity. Neil can bellow and bluster all he likes in that case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Also looking forward to this. Sagan's 1980 original Cosmos was utterly groundbreaking so this new one has an awful lot to live up to.

Also looking forward to two space-themed films coming soon - Gravity and The Last Days On Mars.

Watched this last night...great movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Where can I see this COSMOS 2014 show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

bumper234 wrote: »
    Watched this last night...great movie

Check out Neils podcast Startalk Radio on the movie called "Cosmic Queries: Gravity, the movie" was a good listen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Nolars wrote: »
    Check out Neils podcast Startalk Radio on the movie called "Cosmic Queries: Gravity, the movie" was a good listen.

http://www.startalkradio.net/show/cosmic-queries-gravity-the-movie/
    Where can I see this COSMOS 2014 show?

It doesn't air in the states until Q2 2014 on Fox National Geographic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I found this one very interesting, well worth a watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Neil deGrasse Tyson is hosting a new version called "Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey,"
    Ann Druyan and Brannon Braga are also on board for production.

http://www.space.com/24243-cosmos-tv-series-neil-degrasse-tyson.html

I hope it inspires as many youngsters as the original Carl Sagan's personal voyage.

Advertisement