Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Precision motherboard failure

Options
  • 27-10-2013 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My Dell Precision T3400 failed to boot on Friday. It freezes before the os even starts. The diagnostic lights show 1 and 4 which mean motherboard failure, contact Dell, according to the user guide online. I'd say it is 4 years old?? So the warranty is well out.
    I wonder what my best option is? Should I contact them? Try a pc hospital? Face up to getting a new machine?
    If anyone could PM a good repair service around Dublin if that's an option I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I'd say get a new system. iirc that motherboard is what I call "left handed" (BTX) so you just can't buy any old mobo and stick it in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Precision T3400 motherboards are cheap enough on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The Glass Key, I wish I understood your post :) But I get the gist. But are you suggesting it's possible to fix Torqay?
    Thanks folks

redser7 wrote: »
    But are you suggesting it's possible to fix Torqay?

If it is indeed the motherboard, they're selling from $30 (plus delivery) on ebay. Cheap enough not to let it go to waste but it depends on how much more life you intend to get out of it. I suppose it's a Core 2 Duo?

Yes I think so. Im not too techy minded but it was running well, very fast for work purposes and never gave any trouble till now. I expected to have it for a lot longer.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

If you're confident to replace the motherboard yourself (all you need is a bit of thermal paste) it is worth fixing. If you have to pay someone for the job, it may not be viable (T3400 are selling for less than 200 yoyos on adverts).

But first I'd investigate the matter a little bit further, re-seat the memory modules, expansion cards and connectors. Sometimes it is only something as simple as discharging all components (disconnect the power and press the button a few times).

Thanks again. I guess there's a hassle factor too. It has a lot of licensed software etc on it that would be a pain to sort out and then set everything up again on a new machine. I think I'll give it a bash. I've tried the usual checks suggested online about RAM, connections etc. The diagnostic lights are pretty clear, its buggered :)
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

dont buy dells - when the motherboards fail you have to buy a replacement one from them

salvage the hard drive... when you get your new computer try booting off the old hd into safe mode (without networking) first... let win 7 safe mode install the basic drivers then boot to safe modem with networking let win 7 install basic network drivers then boot into normal mode.

i tried this on a pc once... it actually worked. didnt need to reinstall everything, once i got it to boot in full mode i went online and downloaded all the proper drivers i needed. pc still works fine.

dont buy dells - when the motherboards fail you have to buy a replacement one from them

salvage the hard drive... when you get your new computer try booting off the old hd into safe mode (without networking) first... let win 7 safe mode install the basic drivers then boot to safe modem with networking let win 7 install basic network drivers then boot into normal mode.

i tried this on a pc once... it actually worked. didnt need to reinstall everything, once i got it to boot in full mode i went online and downloaded all the proper drivers i needed. pc still works fine.

Thanks a lot for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Fifty quid including the postage from a few places on eBay including at least one in Europe.

You could try phoning Dell for support, even if you didn't buy it from them yourself you can sometimes talk them into providing support, they won't replace anything but iirc they provide lifetime technical support for those systems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement