Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs Man City Sky Sports 4pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

To be honest if you want to make claims for a dozen clubs right to be at the top of the league then by all means do, I can assure you I wont stop you. My point, as I said a bit earlier is simple, with the quality of the squad at Chelsea this season, with the top class infrastructure of the club, with the backing of the powerful owner, a growing fanbase and being led by the best manager in the world I don't see why this club can't be at the top. I am not saying "Chelsea are great so give the title to Chelsea now" obviously the title is earned, any club that wins the league will have to earn it, I am saying that Chelsea have the resources to make them entirely capable of winning the league.

How can you be so vocal in support of La Masia and then claim Chelsea have a right to be there when they ruin most if not all young talent from their youth ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

RasTa wrote: »
    How can you be so vocal in support of La Masia and then claim Chelsea have a right to be there when they ruin most if not all young talent from their youth ranks.

I know, I'm a complex person right? Or maybe I realise that Chelsea in the last few years have really stepped up their academy, they've improved the standard of player that comes from the youth ranks. While not all get to be part of the Chelsea squad, many do go on to have good careers at other clubs. There are some players contracted by the club who have played in youth teams in the club who I think have a chance of making it with the senior side, however if not then they may go on to have fine careers elsewhere and Chelsea can be proud that they have given these players the best coaching, arguably the very best coaching in England.

Not even Barcelona, with their unrivaled La Masia academy, promote every youth player to the senior side, only the ones who make the incredibly high grade. The rest tend to move onto smaller clubs and make their way in football.

I know, I'm a complex person right? Or maybe I realise that Chelsea in the last few years have really stepped up their academy, they've improved the standard of player that comes from the youth ranks. While not all get to be part of the Chelsea squad, many do go on to have good careers at other clubs. There are some players contracted by the club who have played in youth teams in the club who I think have a chance of making it with the senior side, however if not then they may go on to have fine careers elsewhere and Chelsea can be proud that they have given these players the best coaching, arguably the very best coaching in England.

Who are these players?

United have the best youth set up in England and that is not even up for debate.

John Terry is the last player to make the step up to the senior squad, that's how awful it is. It's also funny that you are back to championing Jose as the greatest ever manager yet none of that when he was at Real. A complete parody of yourself as you speak about both teams in the same manner yet they couldn't be more different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Who are these players?

United have the best youth set up in England and that is not even up for debate.

John Terry is the last player to make the step up to the senior squad, that's how awful it is. It's also funny that you are back to championing Jose as the greatest ever manager yet none of that when he was at Real. A complete parody of yourself as you speak about both teams in the same manner yet they couldn't be more different.

Not sure about the Utd but. West Ham, Arsenal, Southampton maybe.

Agree with everything else said though. Previous poster talketh nonsense.

gosplan wrote: »
    Not sure about the Utd but. West Ham, Arsenal, Southampton maybe.

Agree with everything else said though. Previous poster talketh nonsense.

Overall yes, most who don't make it at United end up playing in the PL or Championship. Southampton would be 2nd

Overall yes, most who don't make it at United end up playing in the PL or Championship. Southampton would be 2nd

Fair enough, I can think of a lot of names who fit that bill so I'll take your word from it.

Now let me think if the Chelsea products ... Hmmmm

Who are these players?

FA Youth Cup Champions in 2010 and 2012, runners up last season in it and in the underage version of the Champions League last season.

Well there's Ryan Bertrand but give it a few years and the investment in the academy should bear fruit, there are some gems in that set up right now.

Actually I thought he did a terrific job in taking Real Madrid to a level where they were viable rivals to probably the greatest Barcelona team ever. To get that close and, occasionally defeat, arguably, the greatest team ever is an amazing accomplishment. Obviously it all went sour last season, I think the existence of the complex politics of Real Madrid are common knowledge and led to Mourinho parting company with the club. I dare say they perhaps could have done with him yesterday as, for the first 45 minutes, they appeared entirely overwhelmed in a way that they haven't been since pre Mourinho days.

Obviously Chelsea and Barcelona are two different clubs, however I am able to appreciate both. They may be different but they do share some similarities too.

gosplan wrote: »
    Fair enough, I can think of a lot of names who fit that bill so I'll take your word from it.

Now let me think if the Chelsea products ... Hmmmm

Jack Cork, Miroslav Stoch, Jeffery Bruma, Fabio Borini, Carlton Cole, Michael Mancienne, Scott Sinclair, Slobodan Rajkovic. Those are a few off the top of my head who have played with Chelsea youth sides.

In terms of players still contracted to the club who should have a good career at the club or at another club who've played youth football with Chelsea: Sam Hutchinson, Nathaniel Chalobah, Josh McEachran, Lucas Piazon, Patrick Van Aanholt, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Islam Feruz, Nathan Ake, Gael Kakuta, Todd Kane, George Saville, Billy Clifford, Andreas Christensen.

Again there's a good chance I am missing out on a few but you get my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

FA Youth Cup Champions in 2010 and 2012, runners up last season in it and in the underage version of the Champions League last season.

Well there's Ryan Bertrand but give it a few years and the investment in the academy should bear fruit, there are some gems in that set up right now.

Actually I thought he did a terrific job in taking Real Madrid to a level where they were viable rivals to probably the greatest Barcelona team ever. To get that close and, occasionally defeat, arguably, the greatest team ever is an amazing accomplishment. Obviously it all went sour last season, I think the existence of the complex politics of Real Madrid are common knowledge and led to Mourinho parting company with the club. I dare say they perhaps could have done with him yesterday as, for the first 45 minutes, they appeared entirely overwhelmed in a way that they haven't been since pre Mourinho days.

Obviously Chelsea and Barcelona are two different clubs, however I am able to appreciate both. They may be different but they do share some similarities too.

I think Barca beat Madrid 5-0 in Mourinho's first Clásico in the league.

• Advertisement

It's all well winning the youth cups but pointless if you are going to sign 5 AM's or another striker every season.

Simply put Chelsea does not support promoting their youth.

We won it 2011 with Pogba and Morrison and tried to sign them to contracts however other players such as the Keane twins and Jesse Linguard are still at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jack Cork, Miroslav Stoch, Jeffery Bruma, Fabio Borini, Carlton Cole, Michael Mancienne, Scott Sinclair, Slobodan Rajkovic. Those are a few off the top of my head who have played with Chelsea youth sides.

In terms of players still contracted to the club who should have a good career at the club or at another club who've played youth football with Chelsea: Sam Hutchinson, Nathaniel Chalobah, Josh McEachran, Lucas Piazon, Patrick Van Aanholt, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Islam Feruz, Nathan Ake, Gael Kakuta, Todd Kane, George Saville, Billy Clifford, Andreas Christensen.

You have just spouted a list of names there. Anybody could just list the name of every youth player at their club then point to the list and say "Look, we develop players", its totally meaningless.

It's all well winning the youth cups but pointless if you are going to sign 5 AM's or another striker every season.

Simply put Chelsea does not support promoting their youth.

We won it 2011 with Pogba and Morrison and tried to sign them to contracts however other players such as the Keane twins and Jesse Linguard are still at United.

Equally I could say we won it in 2012 and Chalobah, Piazon and Ake are still at the club. I'm not quite sure where you were going with that?

As I said, the investment in Chelsea's youth structure in recent years has been there for all to see. It's yielded results in underage tournaments and I think it will eventually yield results for the first team. Will it result in Chlsea being able to field a full 11 from the academy ala Barcelona? Probably not, however I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 2-3 youth team players make the step up into the senior squad and perhaps eventually carve out a place in the starting line up.

You have just spouted a list of names there. Anybody could just list the name of every youth player at their club then point to the list and say "Look, we develop players", its totally meaningless.

Yes I have. The poster said that Man Utd have produced players who, if they haven't gone on to play for Man Utd then they've gone on to play elsewhere, he then asks what players have Chelsea produced. So in this instance a list of names is actually exactly what was called for.

Equally I could say we won it in 2012 and Chalobah, Piazon and Ake are still at the club. I'm not quite sure where you were going with that?

My main point is how can you claim Chelsea have the best youth set up when none of the players make it in the senior squad? That's the whole point no?

My main point is how can you claim Chelsea have the best youth set up when none of the players make it in the senior squad? That's the whole point no?

The claim is based on success in recent years at youth level and the investment that has gone into the youth structure at Chelsea. As I said, it's really only in the next few years will we see the fruits of that labour. In the mean time Chelsea have helped to produce some very talented players who have gone on to had good careers at other clubs, and other players who are still contracted to the club and doing well on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The claim is based on success in recent years at youth level and the investment that has gone into the youth structure at Chelsea. As I said, it's really only in the next few years will we see the fruits of that labour. In the mean time Chelsea have helped to produce some very talented players who have gone on to had good careers at other clubs, and other players who are still contracted to the club and doing well on loan.

Surely you can only claim to have the best youth setup when you actually produce top-level class players for your own team. Chelsea haven't done that yet, and youth honours don't necessarily mean anything.

Surely you can only claim to have the best youth setup when you actually produce top-level class players for your own team. Chelsea haven't done that yet, and youth honours don't necessarily mean anything.

I'd argue that no club in England is producing a string of top class players and that, when comparing youth structures, that youth results do merit some, not all, consideration.

Yes I have. The poster said that Man Utd have produced players who, if they haven't gone on to play for Man Utd then they've gone on to play elsewhere, he then asks what players have Chelsea produced. So in this instance a list of names is actually exactly what was called for.

But you listed about 20 players when the fact is that only about 2 or 3 of them have, as you say, went on to play anywhere.

United can quite rightly point out that there are tons of ex-United players in the Premiership/Championship. That list you spouted was a bunch of nobodies.

I'd argue that no club in England is producing a string of top class players and that, when comparing youth structures, that youth results do merit some, not all, consideration.

Well Arsenal, Manchester United and Southampton are, so they're clearly better off the bat.

But you listed about 20 players when the fact is that only about 2 or 3 of them have, as you say, went on to play anywhere.

United can quite rightly point out that there are tons of ex-United players in the Premiership/Championship. That list you spouted was a bunch of nobodies.

You're not making this easy are you?

Jack Cork- Southampton, Miroslav Stoch- PAOK, Jeffery Bruma- PSV Eindhoven, Fabio Borini- Sunderland, Carlton Cole- West Ham, Michael Mancienne- Hamburg, Scott Sinclair- West Brom, Slobodan Rajkovic- Hamburg

Sam Hutchinson- Vitesse, Nathaniel Chalobah- Nottingham Forest, Josh McEachran- Watford, Lucas Piazon- Vitesse, Patrick Van Aanholt- Vitesse, Ruben Loftus-Cheek- Chelsea under 21, Islam Feruz- Chelsea under 21, Nathan Ake- Chelsea under 21, Gael Kakuta- Vitesse, Todd Kane- Blackburn, George Saville-Brentford, Andreas Christensen- Chelsea under 21

So please, define anywhere.

• Advertisement

Well Arsenal, Manchester United and Southampton are, so they're clearly better off the bat.

Who? The last time I checked, in the last 3 years Arsenal, Man Utd and Southampton hadn't produced Xavi's, Iniesta's, Busquet's, Messi's, Pique's, Scholes, Giggs, Neville brothers, Butt's ect.

So no, I don't think any club in England has produced a string of top class footballers in the last few years.

Who? The last time I checked, in the last 3 years Arsenal, Man Utd and Southampton hadn't produced Xavi's, Iniesta's, Busquet's, Messi's, Pique's, Scholes, Giggs, Neville brothers, Butt's ect.

So no, I don't think any club in England has produced a string of top class footballers in the last few years.

Arsenal - Gibbs, Wilshere, Sczezney. That's players in the current team alone, with youth players like Gnabry coming through and playing regularly.

Manchester United - Welbeck, Evans, Januzaj, from the last few years.

Chelsea - hmmm. Can't seem to find anybody, bar Bertrand who's disappeared.

It may not be as much as in recent years (The entire Arsenal backline, the United mid 90s youngsters), but it's a hell of a lot better than nobody (ie Chelsea)

Arsenal - Gibbs, Wilshere, Sczezney. That's players in the current team alone, with youth players like Gnabry coming through and playing regularly.

Manchester United - Welbeck, Evans, Januzaj, from the last few years.

Chelsea - hmmm. Can't seem to find anybody, bar Bertrand who's disappeared.

It may not be as much as in recent years (The entire Arsenal backline, the United mid 90s youngsters), but it's a hell of a lot better than nobody (ie Chelsea)

You can hardly say that Bertrand has disappeared. As I said, give it time, there is a very talented crop of young players at the club at the moment, Nathan Ake for example got some first team games last season and acquitted himself well, expect to see more of him in the future. Perhaps Christensen, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Boga, Feruz and a couple of others the same could be said for too. I've said in my last few messages, the fruit of the labour Chelsea has put into the academy should be born out in the next few years.

You can hardly say that Bertrand has disappeared. As I said, give it time, there is a very talented crop of young players at the club at the moment, Nathan Ake for example got some first team games last season and acquitted himself well, expect to see more of him in the future. Perhaps Christensen, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Boga, Feruz and a couple of others the same could be said for too. I've said in my last few messages, the fruit of the labour Chelsea has put into the academy should be born out in the next few years.

You haven't given a single solid reason why Chelsea's academy is better than the two I've mentioned, if you're going to say they're the best then at least attempt to back it up.

You haven't given a single solid reason why Chelsea's academy is better than the two I've mentioned, if you're going to say they're the best then at least attempt to back it up.

I have already, recent results in youth tournaments and heavy investment resulting in very talented players from around the globe developing their craft at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I have already, recent results in youth tournaments

This part of your post counts for ****all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Lol at praising the Chelsea academy at producing players. They will never get a chance no matter how good the academy is performing in youth leagues and cups. Based on the players produced in the last 5 years the Chelsea academy has been quite poor.

Smegball wrote: »
    Lol at praising the Chelsea academy at producing players. They will never get a chance no matter how good the academy is performing in youth leagues and cups. Based on the players produced in the last 5 years the Chelsea academy has been quite poor.

I'm not doing the list again but based on producing players the club has actually been quite good, it's just the players produced haven't been good enough for Chelsea. There is a difference. I am much more optimistic about the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

are chelsea not the type of club that goes against everything barca are about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They are better to him because that's his personality, everything the team he chooses to be a fan of in whatever country is the best at most if not everything. If you read his posts on Barca you will see that they do not simply play football, they are a team full of artists and the pitch is their canvas. The world has never seen players as talented as Iniesta, Xavi, Messi before, even Pique is somehow a top drawer defender etc

Everything is viewed through extremely tinted goggles and reasoned debate using logic is not in the mantra.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »

How do you mean?

Chelsea spend big
    Barca spend big

Chelsea pay extremely big wages
    Barca pay extremely big wages

How he reconciles his feelings for Mourinho must be interesting though, surely the Barca fan in him must hate him?

kryogen wrote: »
    How do you mean?

Chelsea spend big
    Barca spend big

How he reconciles his feelings for Mourinho must be interesting though, surely the Barca fan in him must hate him?

the whole philosophy/identity thing

chelsea would just rather buy their success, change managers/styles at the drop of a hat, etc.

even though he's right they have tried with the youth setup there recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Chelsea can't take credit for the likes of Feruz, it was Celtic who developed him. I wonder how many players on your list have similar stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

reading this thread reminded me of that movie looper i wanted to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

A squad filled with remarkably talented footballers, a squad with real leaders and winners in it, an infrastructure that is state of the art, a growing fanbase, a club fueled by a Russian oligarch with insatiable hunger and driven by the greatest manager in the world, one of the greatest managers that there has ever been.

I can take or leave the talented squad remark (at least one more talented squad in the league). But what state of the art infastructure? Any club can say a growing fanbase, it's small for a big club. More spout about the greatest manager since last May wen he was Madrid manager and it was Pep.

No club just deserves to be on the highest level. If some clubs do, then Chelsea with a fanbase that acted questionably last year, a terrible record towards managers, a tinpot stadium and a club with very limited history before a Russian criminal pumped money in for security is well well down that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

These can not be regarded as Chelsea Youth products, all had successful youth careers and were already very highly regarded before they got anywhere near Chelsea. And IMO its a pity they chose to go to Chelsea because as with Kakuta for example, who was a hugely rated teenager they will not be given enough chances to develop with first team football. Instead they will be farmed out to feeder clubs for a few years and learn nothing.

Can't argue with some of the success Chelsea underage teams have had, you pointed out the Youth Cup wins in 2010 and 2012, but none of these players have broke into the first team and no matter how much the youth teams win none for the foreseeable will either, because Chelsea will continue to spend big on players they don't need regardless of who is in the youth squads.

Undoubtedly the club philosophies differ somewhat, however I appear to have been mistaken for a robot with one concrete set of morals. In reality I am enough of a 3 dimensional person to appreciate the merits of both clubs.
    They are better to him because that's his personality, everything the team he chooses to be a fan of in whatever country is the best at most if not everything. If you read his posts on Barca you will see that they do not simply play football, they are a team full of artists and the pitch is their canvas. The world has never seen players as talented as Iniesta, Xavi, Messi before, even Pique is somehow a top drawer defender etc

Everything is viewed through extremely tinted goggles and reasoned debate using logic is not in the mantra.

They are and there hasn't been.
    How do you mean?

Chelsea spend big
    Barca spend big

In actual fact I thought Mourinho did very well at Madrid. Did I approve of his tactics all of the time? No, did his behaviour border on the line of good taste? Yes, at times it did. However there is no denying, even as a Barcelona fan, what he managed to do at Real Madrid. This Barcelona side is considered one of the greatest teams ever, it is arguably the greatest team ever, so to construct a team that was actually able to compete, and sometimes beat, arguably the greatest team ever really was something quite special. His reign ended badly, though that's just the kind of club Madrid is.

As a Chelsea fan, I will always adore Mourinho for what he did for the club, he has a special place in the history of the club and his love for the club knows no bounds, a small example was yesterday, after that winning goal, that celebration amongst the crowd, could you imagine him doing he same at Madrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Undoubtedly the club philosophies differ somewhat, however I appear to have been mistaken for a robot with one concrete set of morals. In reality I am enough of a 3 dimensional person to appreciate the merits of both clubs.

In actual fact I thought Mourinho did very well at Madrid. Did I approve of his tactics all of the time? No, did his behaviour border on the line of good taste? Yes, at times it did. However there is no denying, even as a Barcelona fan, what he managed to do at Real Madrid. This Barcelona side is considered one of the greatest teams ever, it is arguably the greatest team ever, so to construct a team that was actually able to compete, and sometimes beat, arguably the greatest team ever really was something quite special. His reign ended badly, though that's just the kind of club Madrid is.

As a Chelsea fan, I will always adore Mourinho for what he did for the club, he has a special place in the history of the club and his love for the club knows no bounds, a small example was yesterday, after that winning goal, that celebration amongst the crowd, could you imagine him doing he same at Madrid?

He wasn't celebrating amongst the fans really, it was his son that he went to celebrate with.

And some of his behaviour at Madrid went way over the line, do I have to remind you of the incident with Tito?

YayaBanana wrote: »
    He wasn't celebrating amongst the fans really, it was his son that he went to celebrate with.

And some of his behaviour at Madrid went way over the line, do I have to remind you of the incident with Tito?

You get the point, his son was among the Chelsea fans, how likely was Mourinho to jump in among the Madrid fans during his time at the club? Even if his son was with them I'd say pretty unlikely.

I'm not arguing that the eye poke wasn't over the line, obviously it was. However we all make mistakes and personally I wont be holding one incident against him for the rest of his career as it it nullifies the rest of his achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Maybe its cause im a chelsea fan I can feel sympathy for Hart?. Problem is your the last line of defence so a mistake you make is always going to be costly. Everyone talking about this now and not Torres blunder , but thats ok cause it didnt cost a goal . Its the harsh life of a goalkeeper

Soby wrote: »
    Maybe its cause im a chelsea fan I can feel sympathy for Hart?. Problem is your the last line of defence so a mistake you make is always going to be costly. Everyone talking about this now and not Torres blunder , but thats ok cause it didnt cost a goal . Its the harsh life of a goalkeeper

Thats ok for one mistake.

But when you make 2, 3, 4, 5 mistakes? Sympathy becomes harder to find at that point.

Thats ok for one mistake.

But when you make 2, 3, 4, 5 mistakes? Sympathy becomes harder to find at that point.

Least it wasnt all in the one game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

How do you mean?

Chelsea spend big
    Barca spend big

You're pretty much describing every big club in Europe there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

How many times has Hart done the walkabout thing? I can't remember Cech or de Gea or Mignolet doing it even once.

• Advertisement

so you like two polar opposite philosophies/approaches basically, coincidently they're undertaken by two of the most successful clubs in their respectful countries over recent years

you buy into one or the other surely? or you 'appreciate' both, whenever it suits

so you like two polar opposite philosophies/approaches basically, coincidently they're undertaken by two of the most successful clubs in their respectful countries over recent years

you buy into one or the other surely? or you 'appreciate' both, whenever it suits

The funniest thing is backing this notion that Chelsea's 'proper' place or where Chelsea naturally should be is at the top.

Never has a club owed it's success more to one single person and if Roman left and Chelsea got some crazy owner who wanted to say, stop making a loss, you'd find that they'd drop back rather quickly to occupy a place alongside Newcastle ... only with far worse attendances.

No club has a right or claim to a place that is not earned on the pitch. That's what's so good.

But Christ, if you're going to argue that, there's a lot if clubs that have far better claims than Chelsea.

Between that and comparing Chelsea's youth academy to Barca's, I think this poster does not have realistic opinions at all.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    How many times has Hart done the walkabout thing? I can't remember Cech or de Gea or Mignolet doing it even once.

That's particularly funny cause he seems to just do a little jump and then fall over.

THFC wrote: »
    You're pretty much describing every big club in Europe there.

Yep, and Im pretty much saying there isn't a whole lot of difference between every big club in Europe

Is the bolded part a joke? I really hope it is

As for you pushing his eye poke under the carpet now that he is Chelsea manager again and the rest of your shtick, I expect nothing less :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement