Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of funerals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification, and for the update on scattering of ashes. €4500 still seems like an absolutely huge amount, when you step back and think about it. I suppose that most people don't have the luxury of stepping back and thinking about it. There does seem to be this bizarre need of many Irish families (particularly less well off families) to spend large amounts of money, and to be seen to be spending large amounts of money, when it comes to funerals.

I guess that there is no real need for embalming if you are going for cremation. In fact, now that I think of it, is there any real need for embalming at all? What is the benefit or rationale?

The body needs to be in a presentable state when it is in the funeral home or house awaiting cremation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ebbsy wrote: »
    The body needs to be in a presentable state when it is in the funeral home or house awaiting cremation.
    paulbolg wrote: »
    Embalming slows down the decomposition process and it provides a hygienic service to the deceased.
    Thanks, so is embalming really only need if there is an 'open viewing' either at the house/wake or at the funeral home? If you plan to have a closed casket, is there any point in embalming?
    If u wanted the cheapest route with the cheapest coffin ect including crem fees €2000
    Newlands cross is run by Glasnevin and is the same price €630 for your 20 minute slot. If u wanted an hour to hold service in crematorium it would be generally after 1pm with an extra fee of 150 i think or near that anyway. And civil funerals are getting more popular with alot of people not having any or little of the religious aspect. Normally you can get a civil celebrant who will lead you in what to do. Poems and songs and stories about the deceased are whats ofter shared.
    Thanks - very useful. Still seems like a crazy amount of money, mind you.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks, so is embalming really only need if there is an 'open viewing' either at the house/wake or at the funeral home? If you plan to have a closed casket, is there any point in embalming?

Thanks - very useful. Still seems like a crazy amount of money, mind you.

Remember as well that does not include the cost of the funeral director - the coffin still has to get to the crematorium, and the crematorium only deals with the funeral director.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

ebbsy wrote: »
    Remember as well that does not include the cost of the funeral director - the coffin still has to get to the crematorium, and the crematorium only deals with the funeral director.

Ebbsy i dont want to burst your bubble but i did state a fee of €2000 would be the cheapest based on circumstances of the day time ect. And this IS including the funeral directors fees and transport ect.

Ebbsy i dont want to burst your bubble but i did state a fee of €2000 would be the cheapest based on circumstances of the day time ect. And this IS including the funeral directors fees and transport ect.

Well I can tell ye €2,000 is cheap, try doubling that for a cremation in Kildare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement