Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB - Disgraceful Treatment

Options
  • 27-10-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

I'll try and keep this short. My other half had to get a last minute flight to Canada as her uncle fell suddenly ill and sadly will probably not pull through and may need to be taken off life support. He has no family over there. I dropped the other half to the airport and she tried to withdraw money using her AIB debit card. Wouldn't work on any of the ATM's. She had to leave on the long journey with no money with her. She called AIB on the way and was told that her card had been deactivated. They said she had been sent a Visa Debit card back in June and that a pin had been sent. This never happened. Completely untrue. Also she never requested card. AIB said they would not activate her old card. They are refusing to help her in any way. She is trying to get an account of someone in Canada added to her online banking but doesn't have a code required to do this and they are refusing to help her with that too. They told her to get someone in Ireland to send money to her and that's the extent of their help.

AIB are at fault and have admitted they made a mistake and have apologised but will do nothing to help a woman in a foreign country going through a very difficult situation as it is. I'm absolutely fuming with them and the bank holiday is making things worse as I can't do anything for her until Tuesday.
    How on earth are banks allowed to get away with this kind of thing? Surely there is something they could do to help her out that they are not offering, especially seeing as it was their mistake that caused this in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Everything you've listed is due to security, so cant be over ridden. You say that they've admitted fault but are also lying about sending the card, thats a bit unclear.

Western Union transfer some money and then write a letter to AIB asking them to investigate and credit back any out of pocket expenses you have.

If you feel you need to move banks do so, but with the exception of someone like American Express you aren't going to get the level of service you seem to looking for. I actually find AIB for their many faults, to have one of the better online banking systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah, they have been making life difficult for me over something they did too.

On a practical note, can someone western union money to your other half? Then when she gets back, gather the details and make a complaint re AIB to the financial ombudsman. In the meantime close all accounts except those she owes on with AIB, leaving them with nothing but her debt, and move all monies to a more user friendly institution.

I just use them as a clearing house now, wages go in, I move the money to other places and never leave anything in an account there but debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

OP that sounds a horrible experience and all our sympathies go to your OH, however it is not AIB's fault that her uncle fell ill and they did specify that all old AIB laser cards were due to expire by September, its a wonder her card lasted till now. There has been a prompt on AIB ATMs specifying that new cards were being sent out to replace the old ones and that if you hadn't received one yet one could be ordered (For free) by calling AIB. AFAIK AIB cannot reactivate a deactivated card (I could be wrong)

Hope all goes well for your OH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Timmyctc wrote: »
    OP that sounds a horrible experience and all our sympathies go to your OH, however it is not AIB's fault that her uncle fell ill and they did specify that all old AIB laser cards were due to expire by September, its a wonder her card lasted till now. There has been a prompt on AIB ATMs specifying that new cards were being sent out to replace the old ones and that if you hadn't received one yet one could be ordered (For free) by calling AIB. AFAIK AIB cannot reactivate a deactivated card (I could be wrong)

Hope all goes well for your OH

I did not know this at all. I'm not with AIB.

She should really have realised this herself a long time ago if that's the case. Thanks for letting me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

deisedevil wrote: »
    She never asked for a Visa debit card to be sent to her and she never received one either. AIB say they sent one and this was followed up with a pin code (neither of which was received) and that they are sending them to all customers whether they want them or not and then they will deactivate your old card without warning. They then realised that they had not sent the new card at all but had gone ahead and deactivated her current card for no reason and are refusing to reactivate it.

She doesn't have her card with the codes to activate any other accounts on her online banking. This kind of thing tends to happen when you run out the door to get a flight at 6am after hearing your Uncle is about to die. She doesn't know where it is at home and I can't find it.

I can't send her money with Western Union, they aren't in the area.

I understand the security issues involved but surely there is something that they could do to get money to her in a situation like this that they have caused.

I'm glad you find their online system so efficient. I'll tell the girlfriend that, will cheer her up no end at her uncles bedside and restore her faith in the bank she has been a customer of all her life and who have left her down so badly in a time of great need.

no need to get narky with people they are only trying to help. Can you lodge money into a relations account in Canada and have them withdraw money for your girlfriend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought AIB had switched to Visa Debit cars and dropped the AIB debit card a while ago. Theres lots of threads and posts about this on boards. Is this card that you don't usually use or something? That you wouldn't have been aware of the switch.

As was said above it would be easier for you to transfer money from your account to a relatives account in Canada directly. Then ye can sort it out when she gets home. Don't bother trying to set something new up last minute.

no need to get narky with people they are only trying to help. Can you lodge money into a relations account in Canada and have them withdraw money for your girlfriend?

There are no relations in Canada, her Uncle lived alone and she's there with him alone. I shouldn't have snapped and deleted the post after hearing that this may actually be her own fault for not seeing messages on ATM's. I'm going on what she's telling me. Stressful time for me, feeling useless because can't help. Apologies.
    beauf wrote: »
    I thought AIB had switched to Visa Debit cars and dropped the AIB debit card a while ago. Theres lots of threads and posts about this on boards.

Is this card that you don't usually use or something? That you wouldn't have been aware of the switch.

Had been used every day right up to the day it was deactivated. AIB never contacted her at any stage about changing cards. This seems to be because they thought they had already sent her a card. Turns out they hadn't.

She should have noticed warnings on ATM's but she says she never seen a warning at any stage, just didn't notice it.

Seems harsh to cancel someones card on the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend without ever giving them a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I did not know this at all. I'm not with AIB.

She should really have realised this herself a long time ago if that's the case. Thanks for letting me know.

The wife and myself are with AIB and we have a few letters from them about the Laser / Visa Debit change over.

Does your other half use here card much, maybe they had not used it for a while and missed all the warnings.

Do they keep there address up todate with AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

AIB specified that cards were going to expire last year, plenty of letters sent out. Also when was the card last used? Lots of ways of transferring money, could be to do that you don't have the correct address on the system so you didn't get the letters.

Easy having a go off the bank but in this case they haven't done anything wrong imo,Hope it works out for you all the same.

• Advertisement

The wife and myself are with AIB and we have a few letters from them about the Laser / Visa Debit change over.

Does your other half use here card much, maybe they had not used it for a while and missed all the warnings.

Do they keep there address up todate with AIB.

She received other letters from AIB but nothing about the change over. She uses her card almost every single day without exception.

From what I gather AIB are saying they didn't warn her because they thought she already had received her Visa Debit card and would just need to activate it.

She's just going to have to wait until Tuesday before anyone can do anything for her now.

I don't understand how she didn't get letters about it, unless they have an old address for her and they've been going there. According to the posts on boards its been on their website, atms, and online banking for a long time.

You can't hop on to a international flight with no money. I know not everyone wants a credit card, but its handy for situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I don't know if this is any help to you, I have never used it, but it may be..

I know Skrill, (Used to be MoneyBookers), they are 100% trustworthy, i just haven't used the 'send money abroad' service before.

https://www.skrill.com/about-skrillit/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

beauf wrote: »
    I don't understand how she didn't get letters about it, unless they have an old address for her and they've been going there. According to the posts on boards its been on their website, atms, and online banking for a long time.

You can't hop on to a international flight with no money. I know not everyone wants a credit card, but its handy for situations like this.

The first I knew of it was when I physically received the card in the post. I don't remember ever seeing it on the online banking and rarely use their ATMs.

Agree re having a credit card. But I've had credit card failure (an aib card) while away too and they were little help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Regardless of what AIB did or didn't do, it's pretty straightforward to send money to someone abroad. Allyall mentioned one option. Western Union is also simple - they are in your area unless you're on the moon and you can send online.

That's a reason to have more than one backup, say for example your bag/wallet got stolen/or lost. Which isn't that unusual.

Seems like the OP GF has no transport where they are. No cash or other funds to get any either. There may be some Irish club in the area which might be helpful. Usually is no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

There are no relations in Canada, her Uncle lived alone and she's there with him alone. I shouldn't have snapped and deleted the post after hearing that this may actually be her own fault for not seeing messages on ATM's. I'm going on what she's telling me. Stressful time for me, feeling useless because can't help. Apologies.

Had been used every day right up to the day it was deactivated. AIB never contacted her at any stage about changing cards. This seems to be because they thought they had already sent her a card. Turns out they hadn't.

She should have noticed warnings on ATM's but she says she never seen a warning at any stage, just didn't notice it.

Seems harsh to cancel someones card on the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend without ever giving them a warning.

She would have had a few months warning if she took notice. All Laser cards where stopped in September so she got an extra month.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Western Union if not in your area, Would only be a short drive away. GOOGLE IT.

She's mostly to blame herself from what I can gather here. I accept that now completely.

I can say with all certainty that AIB never sent her any card or warnings through post but have sent other letters. Address is up to date as it's the same address it always has been. I'm going to get to a Western Union dealer. I thought it was only done through An Post who are closed obviously.

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

P.S. Flight was booked only a few hours before it left. Long journey to Dublin airport had to be taken immediately. Doctors had said to travel right away as it was as serious as it gets. In those situations people are under a ridiculous amount of pressure and don't assume their card may become blocked. In an ideal world we wouldn't have been so careless. What bothers me is AIB's attitude towards her even after realising they were at least partly to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd imagine the attitude was probably on both sides given the stressful scenario. Due to security, there's very little AIB could do at that moment. I'd suggest getting a credit card, or making sure you have a small amount of cash to hand for emergencies if there were future scenarios like this.

How was the flight paid for?

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    I'd imagine the attitude was probably on both sides given the stressful scenario. Due to security, there's very little AIB could do at that moment. I'd suggest getting a credit card, or making sure you have a small amount of cash to hand for emergencies if there were future scenarios like this.

How was the flight paid for?

On my card which I left at home. We do have cash for emergencies. We didn't have it at Dublin airport when we realised her card was blocked. Again, I'll try and get across the fact that booking the flight and taking it all occurred in the space of about 4 hours.

I understand she's partly to blame. I think we can leave it there now anyway, no need to repeat what we could have done in hindsight. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd look into Western Union again, you might be surprised to see how many places in the locality can handle transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There have been many reports of this happening mentioned here on boards, mostly due to a mix up with old address' and people working outside the country and not having access to their mail daily. Strange she was getting letters from AIB but not cards.

Maybe the card was stolen before she got her post.

Anyway agree about AIB being no help in an emergency, you now need the card to do anything online as you have to use the card reader where as before once you had the code card you could transfer your money to another AIB user on your phone while in the ATM queue and it would be there when you reached the top of the queue.

PTSB have an emergence cash feature, you ring them and they give you a code to put into the ATM and your money comes out.

Write a letter to AIB showing them how much stress they caused but you'd be better off putting the 60c towards a cup of tea to calm her nerves when she gets home.

Western Union will get money to her, but it will cost a few percent for the pleasure, so maybe better to try wire all she may need to her in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Western union, moneygram and ria are three companies that can have the money there in ten minutes. Look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On a related note if she did get the debit car functioning there's a $150 per day withdrawal limit in the US and I would say similar in Canada, very impractical when you have entered the pin and are using your own card to access your own money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

On a related note if she did get the debit car functioning there's a $150 per day withdrawal limit in the US and I would say similar in Canada, very impractical when you have entered the pin and are using your own card to access your own money.

True enough but you can pay the the card all over the place.

Isn't that one of the reasons they switched from AIB debit to Visa debit. Works better more places internationally.

In my limited experience in the USA, they expect a credit card. I remember trying to hire a car or get flights with cash, they thought that was very odd. Like I must be dodgy or something. I assume Canada is much the same?

Advertisement