Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new slip on exhaust, remove cat or not?

• 27-10-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Picking up a bike soon, its a gsxr750 and is pretty much stock. As its got the factory cat converter(welded on) with stock exhaust its pretty quiet.

My budget will be very limited so was just wondering, is there any point getting a slip on like this :
    http://www.beowulfuk.com/beowulf/shoppingcart/proddetail.asp?prod=SU084OCFI45CE
    and leaving the factory cat converter on, while taking the baffles out? Guessing I won't need any remap if the cat stays in also?

The goal is not performance gains but just a deeper, throatier and louder exhaust..not looking for stupidly loud but loud enough that a car driver would hear me when I'm in their blind spot that they usually don't check.

Would it be worthwhile? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

anyone have any info at all? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Decated my FZ1 when I put on my mivv slip on during the summer and it made the bike run better and sound awesome. Getting at the cat was a biatch mind as like your bike it was welded on and required patience and a bit of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

my opinion; cheap cans, cheapen bikes - tis a good thing you're not looking for a performance gain, as doubt you'll even break even performance wise Im afraid

you can just go at the stock can with a powerdrill if you want more noise, and till you've saved up for a yoshi etc..

take the bike to gizmo (exhaust dude, ph number from biker.ie), and have him gut the cat - or even better, cut out and weld in a new decat piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Decated my FZ1 when I put on my mivv slip on during the summer and it made the bike run better and sound awesome. Getting at the cat was a biatch mind as like your bike it was welded on and required patience and a bit of work.
    Cheers Eight Ball...did you need a power commander or remap after you removed the cat?
    Wossack wrote: »
    my opinion; cheap cans, cheapen bikes - tis a good thing you're not looking for a performance gain, as doubt you'll even break even performance wise Im afraid

you can just go at the stock can with a powerdrill if you want more noise, and till you've saved up for a yoshi etc..

take the bike to gizmo (exhaust dude, ph number from biker.ie), and have him gut the cat - or even better, cut out and weld in a new decat piece
    yeah I agree but wouldn't have classed beuwulf as a cheap can, maybe middle of the road? Thanks for the info, I've dropped gizmo an email to see wht he can do, but I'm guessing if the cat is removed it will work out expensive as a power commander will prob be needed to adjust the fueling.
    Is it easy enough to go at the stock can with a powerdrill? A hole saw drilling straight in the opening through the baffles is it? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

possibly - dont know how much the cat restricts really.. an option might be gizmo to go at the stock can, see if he can do anything with it (remove part of the baffle or sommit)

not done it, but cat removal is usually done for performance reasons rather then noise afaik, so prob not entirely what you're after

I've two very loud bikes (had to put the baffles back in one), and tbh, dont think they do much for blindspot worries, but do help stop pedestrians 'taking a chance' nipping across roads in front of ye

• Advertisement
Advertisement