Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting New Dog Need Advice

• 27-10-2013 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I have arranged to look at a dog today and need a bit of advice. It's a mix between a Pomeranian and a Chiwawa and is three months old.
    Ive been looking out for a reasonably priced small indoor dog for a while now and this one has came up. One of the things im worried about is the fact that it's already three months old. Is this a bit too old to be buying a puppy?
    Another thing is the lack of info in the add. It simply says
    "Pomeranian x chihuahua 3 months old 2 females 1 male , very friendly." It doesn't look like its an experienced dog breeder. Does this even matter?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

From what you have said above I would run a mile.

I think you should read up on the stickys at the top of this forum re buying puppy farm dogs as this sounds like what you are getting.

Firstly what you are buying is a cross bred, a mutt, mongrel call it what you will. Crossbred dogs, including small breeds are ten a penny in rescues and pounds. How much are they charging? I would only pay about €50 for this dog to cover the cost of vacinations and I would want a proper vaccination card signed off by a vet.

Secondly they don't sound like proper breeders and yes it does matter. Are they in it for the money or was it an accidental mating or are they planning on breeding again?

My advice is read the stickys, don't buy this dog, and spend your afternoon looking at rescue sites and see what dogs they have. If you have time and you are in Dublin check out the opening hours of the some of the larger rescues there and pay them a visit. Sit down and have a chat with the staff.

I think there are lot better options out there for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I have arranged to look at a dog today and need a bit of advice. It's a mix between a Pomeranian and a Chiwawa and is three months old.
    Ive been looking out for a reasonably priced small indoor dog for a while now and this one has came up. One of the things im worried about is the fact that it's already three months old. Is this a bit too old to be buying a puppy?
    Another thing is the lack of info in the add. It simply says
    "Pomeranian x chihuahua 3 months old 2 females 1 male , very friendly." It doesn't look like its an experienced dog breeder. Does this even matter?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

First thing you have to ask yourself is have you done your homework on these breeds?? Have they any health or temperament issues that may cause problems down the line.
    Why not have a look in a rescue or a dog pound. Loads of healthy dogs there that will have had all their shots, and need a good home.

Well OP what did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Inexile wrote: »
    Well OP what did you do?

Thanks for the advice, I read the sticky's and found them very informative. The dog owner didn't want to meet me at the dogs home and instead wanted to come out to me which sounded very suspicious. Im not guaranteeing it was a puppy farm but there were a few hints it was as you pointed out yourself.
    In the end I didn't end up arranging to see the dog so i'm going to find out what type of dog suits me in terms of the time I have for it and the type of person I am and ill check if there's a breed club on the IKC website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is there a reason you wouldn't consider a rescue dog?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Is there a reason you wouldn't consider a rescue dog?

Ide love the idea of getting one but I have had a bad experience with a rescue dog in the past.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I read the sticky's and found them very informative. The dog owner didn't want to meet me at the dogs home and instead wanted to come out to me which sounded very suspicious. Im not guaranteeing it was a puppy farm but there were a few hints it was as you pointed out yourself.
    In the end I didn't end up arranging to see the dog so i'm going to find out what type of dog suits me in terms of the time I have for it and the type of person I am and ill check if there's a breed club on the IKC website :)

Yeah! Glad you decided not proceed as it sounded very dodgy. Good luck with the research on the pedigree. Please don't discount rescues due to previous difficulties, which I understand. But all dogs are different and if you can work with a good rescue there is no reason for it to work out. In fact many dogs that are handed into rescues are now coming from good homes and are being surrendered as owners are emigrating. Nothing at all wrong with the dog. Just research the rescues and perhaps one that offers a fostering programme may suit best. Either way well done for stepping back from the original idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

depending on where you are OP my facebook feed is drowned every day in gorgeous pups looking for homes from rescues around the country
    some of these would be pups that were actually born while the bitch was in the rescue so they wont have "issues" as you might find with pups that were surrendered

Just a thought....

Advertisement