Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog repellent

• 27-10-2013 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice here. There's a dog on my road who barks at everything and anyone who goes by. The dog is kept in by an electric fence. Twice while walking my dog this dog has come out and attacked my dog. I'm young and I found it quite scary as I was on my own. My dog is quite big but very gentle; he doesn't pay any attention to other dogs and will just walk past as if they aren't there. This dog is a labrador and barks at all dogs and people. I don't think the dog has come out of the garden since the last one (both were around a year apart - between them the dog either was not there or just barked a lot from the gate) but I haven't gone that way since. Just to add we always walk on the oopposite side of the road. So basically I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what can be used as a dog repellent? I obviously don't want to harm the dog. I have heard of a device that sends a sound only dogs can hear that they don't like, does anyone know if these are any good? I can't bring a stick or anything (and would not be any good). I haven't said anything to the owners as I think the fence wasn't working (other times we have walked by with just some barking) but if it happens again I will.
    Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Fences are the best deterrent!

If the dog is just barking and not leaving its property then there is nothing you can do. However, if it is and causing you distress or injury then you can either speak to the owners and/or report them to the dog warden.

I would shy away from mechanical/chemical repellents as the dog you wish to repel may associate them with you rather than his own behaviour and this could have negative implications for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I agree with the above, but if you really want a repellent then you have to be careful what you use if you have your own dogs with you, for example in your post you mentioned a devise that emits a sound only heard to dogs - this would be heard by your dog too and would drive him mad. Similarly with something like an air horn, while it might frighten off an approaching dog it would also scare your dog and possibly make things worse. The only thing I could think of in this situation would be those cans that emit a puff of air to scare off the dog, but even that may not be effective if the dog is determined to get at you or your dog!

Advertisement