Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young girl walking dog

• 27-10-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

There is a 7 y.o girl walking a puppy rottweiler in my estate, completely innocent I'd say, nice people but no muzzle on. What's bothering me is not the fact that it's a rot but I think its wrong to let a child walk a dog on their own.

Would you approach the parents ? Any dog would need to be trained by an adult. Again, before I get attacked, I have no problem with restricted breeds, but no dog should be left in the hands of a child, walking the dog like it's a toy.

Am I over reacting ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but South Dublin Co Council Bye-laws state the following:

Leashes:
    a) All dogs must be kept under effectual control when in any public place i.e. street, road, park etc.
    b) Certain breeds must always be leashed, muzzled and accompanied by a person over the age of 16 years when in a public place. These include: American Pit Bull Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Doberman Pinscher, English Bull Terrier, German Shepherd, Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and every other strain or cross of the above mentioned breeds.

I think "effectual control" is your main concern re the 7 year old, though the breed has a 16 years-of-age stipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

would it bother you if the child was walking a poodle puppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

juniord wrote: »
    would it bother you if the child was walking a poodle puppy

Yes it would, did you read my post in full ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's not just the South Dublin Coco that have that rule, that is the general 'restricted breed' rule that they have to be accompanied by someone over 16. It's possible that the parents don't know this rule, I know I didn't up until a few years ago! If you are friends with them/ on speaking terms, it might be no harm just to point out that they could get in trouble over it. I'm sure they meant no harm by it, it's nice to let your kids walk the dog but in the case of these rules one of the parents really should be the one actually holding the dog (from what I understand anyway!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

But does the rule apply to pups under 6 months of age I know the use of the muzzle doesn't until then?

If the child is walking the dog properly rather than dragging it around I would be inclined to do nothing and then just drop the info into the conversation when you are talking to the parents. As SillyMangox says they may not know about the restrictions a lot of people, including those that should don't!

• Advertisement

cant see where a child walking a puppy in an estate equates to training the dog , my granddaughter 8 y/o brings her chihuahua everywhere with her except school and would bring him to school if she was let, i cant see a problem with a child bonding with a puppy by bringing him/her on a short walk in an estate probably with an adult keeping an eye from behind the curtains

the restricted breed act applies from birth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

cant see where a child walking a puppy in an estate equates to training the dog , my granddaughter 8 y/o brings her chihuahua everywhere with her except school and would bring him to school if she was let, i cant see a problem with a child bonding with a puppy by bringing him/her on a short walk in an estate probably with an adult keeping an eye from behind the curtains

It wouldn't be a problem with a breed like a chihuahua, but unfortunately it's a different matter with a restricted breed. While I do not agree with these rules, they are the law, and I would hate for their to be heartbreak if the dog wardens confiscated the dog or something like that, especially if it was just a case of the owner not being aware of the rules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is no exemption under the control of dogs act for restricted breeds under six months of age

the o p said he didnt think the child was old enough to walk any breed of dog alone , i am saying i dont agree with that viewpoint , i woulnt expect a dog warden to confiscate a r/b puppy because a child is walking him/her, might give the parents an earful though , thats the problem when you mention restricted breed everyone wants to quote the law to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

the restricted breed act applies from birth

"There is no exemption under the control of dogs act for restricted breeds under six months of age "

Now where did I get the six month thing from? I also thought you didn't need a dog licence until the dog was 6 months old but you need one once the pup leaves its mother, or once it reaches four months of age if left with the mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I don't allow my 11 year old out walking our terriers so I agree with the OP. Breed has nothing to do with it. A young child would not be able to cope if there was an incident e.g. their dog being attacked.

Far too many loose dogs wandering around which makes it difficult for an adult to manage let alone a young child.

the way the world is now its not safe to let kids out of your sight , so i would imagine a 7 y/o would be told not to go out of eyesight ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

the way the world is now its not safe to let kids out of your sight , so i would imagine a 7 y/o would be told not to go out of eyesight ,

I do see 2 & 3 years old's out on my estate. Not a parent in sight but yes I agree it is not safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

I got my first dog when I was 6. Used to walk the dog myself every day for the next 13 years. Taught me responsibility and real friendship. Good too see a young child out walking their dog, better than having it locked up the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

With the amount of dogs and children getting lifted, the OPs scenario seems like one to be addressed regardless.

How is a 7-year old going to cope if someone just takes the dog off her?
    How will she cope if an off-lead dog attacks her puppy? Will she have the good sense to let go of the lead and step back? Or will she try and intervene and risk getting bitten?
    Never mind the obvious risk of letting a child out alone with a puppy and giving unsavoury people a topic to attract her attention with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    With the amount of dogs and children getting lifted, the OPs scenario seems like one to be addressed regardless.

How is a 7-year old going to cope if someone just takes the dog off her?
    How will she cope if an off-lead dog attacks her puppy? Will she have the good sense to let go of the lead and step back? Or will she try and intervene and risk getting bitten?
    Never mind the obvious risk of letting a child out alone with a puppy and giving unsavoury people a topic to attract her attention with!

Would agree with this 100%. An adult would find it hard to stop a rot if he took off let alone a 7 year old child. I know its only a pup but if it took off a 7 year old would have no chance.

Advertisement