Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

do you think the present law on learner permits is hypocritical

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

creep wrote: »
    I don't consider myself a learner driver.

You are a learner..... :confused:

You hold a learner's permit.. its not a licence. I got mine the day I turned 17 literally anyone can get a permit. You cant drive across the border. You cant drive abroad. No system can work on a self certified basis, for one learnersanyone can be in denial/sensitive over their driving ability. Thats why they are tested first. A learner can be biased. A learner could also handpick examples of other drivers sins to justify they are good drivers.

You've no lessons done. You've passed a quiz thats it. Should the test be scrapped? Sure is there any need. Maybe once you've held a permit for a year and don't get involved in an accident you get a full licence?? Be grand.... I always thought there was more to driving safely than to not be in an accident. Actually my test preparation drilled that into me. Didn't hit anything on my pretest yet he ticked the box plenty for me to further improve. And get a the required standard and method of driving. You cant just decide youre not a learner.

Please do tell how you would reform the system?
    Because by the time you pass your test you'll be a Novice driver with lovely N plates with penalty points for non display.

Ive witnessed and been the passenger in cars where learners have done mistakes and random behaviour that only a learner could do. Your non display is arrogant and you'd struggle to find anyone condone it. Your an untested learner period and I believe every driver should know if a nearby cars driver is unqualified. To deny them this simple information is selfish. There has to be a way of determining if a driver is not a learner. At present its the driving test.

You may be the worlds greatest driver. You've absolutely nothing to back that up though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

Days 298 wrote: »
    You are a learner..... :confused:

You hold a learner's permit.. its not a licence. I got mine the day I turned 17 literally anyone can get a permit. You cant drive across the border. You cant drive abroad. No system can work on a self certified basis, for one learnersanyone can be in denial/sensitive over their driving ability. Thats why they are tested first. A learner can be biased. A learner could also handpick examples of other drivers sins to justify they are good drivers.

You've no lessons done. You've passed a quiz thats it. Should the test be scrapped? Sure is there any need. Maybe once you've held a permit for a year and don't get involved in an accident you get a full licence?? Be grand.... I always thought there was more to driving safely than to not be in an accident. Actually my test preparation drilled that into me. Didn't hit anything on my pretest yet he ticked the box plenty for me to further improve. And get a the required standard and method of driving. You cant just decide youre not a learner.

Please do tell how you would reform the system?
    Because by the time you pass your test you'll be a Novice driver with lovely N plates with penalty points for non display.

Ive witnessed and been the passenger in cars where learners have done mistakes and random behaviour that only a learner could do. Your non display is arrogant and you'd struggle to find anyone condone it. Your an untested learner period and I believe every driver should know if a nearby cars driver is unqualified. To deny them this simple information is selfish. There has to be a way of determining if a driver is not a learner. At present its the driving test.

You may be the worlds greatest driver. You've absolutely nothing to back that up though.

It's fine the way it is. The guards don't care. I'll get it eventually when I could be bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Media999 wrote: »
    8 30 min tests is a full days work? No wonder most look like they spend the other 4 hours eating Donuts.

Ok so 8160 a week Gross for the smallest 2 tester centers.

You talking 50 a day for call center staff assuming 1 agent for 2 test centres @ 32 5 min calls a day. lets say 100 a day for the testers

Thats 150 a day in wages.

So 7k a week left to run a small building??

Still think they operate at a loss?

And thats only 2 testers. Id assume some in Dublin have 10 on the go.

Again you're maths is daft for example the driving element of test is 30 mins, are you not going to include the office segments before and after with the learner as work? The turn around time between car tests is 50 mins. Can you prove the Donut comment or are you failing trying to be humorous?

You obviously don't employ anybody with the rates you propose paying and a meager admin you think backs up an operation, 1 phone operator and 2 testers at €50 a day each, is that even minimum wage? Most test centres are 5 day only.

Besides all that, for the massive leaps forward in road safety and the 100's of lives saved to date, yes it's worth every cent.

At €85 a test, is it expensive, obviously not, ask the large proportion of "no shows" who just pay to get permit 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

50 mins turnaround. What the hell do they do for 50 mins between tests? Seriously
    Explain to me what they do for 50 mins when they do all the paper work with you there in the half hour your there?

Also when does it take 1 phone operator to book just 16 tests? Obviously they average no less than 40, 5 min calls a day(Ignoring the fact that most are actually booked online). 2 hours work doing what they are paid for is hardly much to ask in an 8 hour shift.

70 a day on minimum wage. 40/70 = 1.75 a call. So thats 30 bucks a day for agents to book those tests. Lets even triple or quadruple that. Who knows maybe them agents are on a grand a week and take only 4, 5 min calls a shift.

Also i can only talk about my local center and the 2 testers that ive seen are like beached whales. maybe its different elsewhere but these boys are no less than 23 stone each.

Still cant figure out where the 7k a week expenses come from? Do you know seeing as my maths is "Daft".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Media999 wrote: »
    50 mins turnaround. What the hell do they do for 50 mins between tests? Seriously
    Explain to me what they do for 50 mins when they do all the paper work with you there in the half hour your there?

Also when does it take 1 phone operator to book just 16 tests? Obviously they average no less than 40, 5 min calls a day(Ignoring the fact that most are actually booked online). 2 hours work doing what they are paid for is hardly much to ask in an 8 hour shift.

70 a day on minimum wage. 40/70 = 1.75 a call. So thats 30 bucks a day for agents to book those tests. Lets even triple or quadruple that. Who knows maybe them agents are on a grand a week and take only 4, 5 min calls a shift.

Also i can only talk about my local center and the 2 testers that ive seen are like beached whales. maybe its different elsewhere but these boys are no less than 23 stone each.

Still cant figure out where the 7k a week expenses come from? Do you know seeing as my maths is "Daft".

It takes 50 minutes to conduct a test from start to finish. Add in a little more time to log paperwork in the system and there's maybe a 5 minute break between tests.

Do they need that break? My thinking is that if the driver ahead of me was rubbish... And frightened the tester frequently... I'd like them to have a few minutes to settle their nerves before my test starts :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Days 298 wrote: »
    The test centres arent made for money making thats gatso vans!
    And they're running at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

It takes 50 minutes to conduct a test from start to finish. Add in a little more time to log paperwork in the system and there's maybe a 5 minute break between tests.

Do they need that break? My thinking is that if the driver ahead of me was rubbish... And frightened the tester frequently... I'd like them to have a few minutes to settle their nerves before my test starts :p

Now someone with a bit of sense, of course the 50 mins was from start of test 1 to start of test 2.
    I wonder if all the posters on here are returning 45 mins of actual work in every 50 mins, I think not.
    Not even gonna bother answering the rest of the clueless rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    Now someone with a bit of sense, of course the 50 mins was from start of test 1 to start of test 2.
    I wonder if all the posters on here are returning 45 mins of actual work in every 50 mins, I think not.
    Not even gonna bother answering the rest of the clueless rant.

Why did you not just say that so? Do you know what turnaround actually means? Clearly doesnt mean what you think it means

Also you still havent explained where the 7k a week goes or explained how its "Clueless" and "Daft".

Where does it go that they run at a loss?

Are you gonna just continue avoiding the question or are you gonna continue talkiing ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement