Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting out of sheep

• 27-10-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Traditionally we had mainly sheep here and since I went to college back in late 90s sheep have being slowly disappearing and cattle increasing up 150between bulls and heifers
    now down to 60ewes I have no probs handling shearing etc just Have good Off farm job and young famly oh also works shifts
    Question is why would I stay with 60 as they seem to take as much work as the cattle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

epfff wrote: »
    Traditionally we had mainly sheep here and since I went to college back in late 90s sheep have being slowly disappearing and cattle increasing up 150between bulls and heifers
    now down to 60ewes I have no probs handling shearing etc just Have good Off farm job and young famly oh also works shifts
    Question is why would I stay with 60 as they seem to take as much work as the cattle

I like sheep, but in your situation I reckon 60 ewes isn't worth keeping

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Molly Bawn

. I am a part-time farmer and run about 80 ewes now on the land as well as dry stock. Sheep will graze off fields, eat ragwort, and produce at least one lamb each year. Sheep can live on very little grass unlike cattle. Sheep make land the old people said and in my case its very true. Maybe consider changing the breed of sheep / rams. I find mule type sheep (Cheviot or mountain sheep crossed with a Border Leicester or Blue Leicester ram) is a great mother, and produce prolifically. I often threaten that I will get rid of sheep especially when I have no one to help at lambing time but then when I am selling the lambs and getting a good price in the Mart, I can see the plus side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

epfff wrote: »

Good for the grass and land in general to be mixed farming? That's the benefit I can think of, but if the time doesn't allow that's another story.

Advertisement