Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby won't nap :-(

Options
  • 27-10-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

My 6 month old hates to nap. Even when he's exhausted and obviously needs to sleep. He cries and cries and tosses and turns in the cot until I lift him. He won't sleep in my arms or the buggy either. At night he goes down with a bit of a fight but he's usually ok. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can get my lovely baby to nap?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have you tried a sling ? I found it to be a life saver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bouncy chair and buggy were the only things my 6 month old would sleep in during the day. Didn't want to be in the cot at all during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

Having lots of bother with my 5 month old napping as well. Won't go in cot during day to nap but will happily sleep in bouncer. Don't no what do to as she will eventually outgrow the bouncer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The pram / pushchair which reclines is fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Our pram reclines to flat and he naps in there. He refuses to sleep in his cot during the day. I am consistant with how I put him in the pram during the day so he knows the difference between going for a walk and nap time. ( curtains drawn, certain blanket etc. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

OP, is there anything in particular that helps him sleep at night or really seems to put him off? As mentioned above, some kids just aren't into the cot in the daytime. Some kids like a bouncy chair, although it's not ideal at least it means he's getting some rest. When you've got an exhausted baby it's hard to think straight but try and look out for signs of things he does or doesn't react well too around naptime. Aim for consistency and try not to get yourself stressed out. Have you tried putting him down a little earlier or going fort a walk in the buggy maybe half an hour before he'd be due a nap so that he can rest and sleep before getting overtired?

Good luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would bring him to the doctor to try ad find out what the underlying issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I don't think it's a medical issue, I just think he finds it hard to switch off when it's bright outside. He's super inquisitive which is fantastic as i can see him taking everything in but he just cant switch off during the day.

At night he's usually very good at going down and he sleeps all night ( a few times a night he'll wake up for the soother but goes straight back to sleep). I think I'll invest in some black out blinds and see if that helps him sleep in his cot during the day. He needs his naps and I need the break!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Thank you all for your advice and help. I have tried buggies/bouncers/sling etc but will keep trying everything. He is a fabulous little boy though so I'm lucky that so far this has been my only issue!

Moonbeam: I'd try absolutely everything before bringing my 6 month old baby to a GP's surgery and germ filled waiting room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would bring him to the doctor to try ad find out what the underlying issue is.

You can't be serious??

Some babies just aren't great at napping\sleeping. Try being consistant and if he does nod off in the bouncer try moving him to the cot then.

There's absolutely no need to bring your child to the GP because he won't nap. That is terrible advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Is the baby well-fed and otherwise comfortable?

Assuming the basics are sorted, in my (necessarily limited) experience it's down to individual differences.

One of ours loved being swaddled, the other hated it. Likewise with a sling. The one who liked the sling needed to be jiggled around, which involved me running around the house with the sling on!

The other would sleep in the car, but hated stopping, so red lights were a pure nuisance. Just yesterday I saw a child asleep in a (stationary) car with the radio blaring.

In other words, you need to try whatever works, however quirky, and that requires patience, trial and error. At the same time you don't want to become too dependent on gimmicks -- you may not always have a vacuum cleaner handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My little man wont sleep in cot during the day either, he used to and after the really warm weather he stopped..(upstairs was like an oven even with windows open) At night he goes up awake and in minutes is out like a light with no fuss so I know its not him been spoiled (he's almost 7 months) he just wont nap there day times. I find if he settles on the couch with me while I watch TV (somethin non childish so he gets bored) then I pop him in the travel cot/playpen and he naps 30 mins to an hour never any more than that and is happy when he wakes and lies there 10 mins after waking looking around at toys

Advertisement