Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug Question

Options
  • 27-10-2013 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I have purchased a new Computer which came with German (European) mains cables. This is a 2 pin plug.

On this 2 pin plug it says 16A 250V~

I however purchased in Power City a similar cable except it is 3 pins for use here in Ireland.

However this plug says 13A 250V~.

What exactly is the 13A & 16A and is there much difference? Especially if it comes to powering a Desktop Computer Processor?

I can either use the new cable I bought (13A 250V~) or I can also use an plug adaptor which will enable the 2 pin German cable convert into a 3 pin plug. However this plug adaptor says on it 13 AMP max so may not work with the German 16A plug?

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Use the new cable it will be ok.

The 13A and 16A refers to the max current that can be drawn using that type of plug, a computer won't use anything near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

you can use the new cable with the 13amp plug and iec socket(connects to computer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Use the new cable it will be ok.

The 13A and 16A refers to the max current that can be drawn using that type of plug, a computer won't use anything near it.
    you can use the new cable with the 13amp plug and iec socket(connects to computer)

Thanks lads for your reply, so are you saying use the new cable I bought from Power City? or use the 16A cable that came with the computer and the 13AMP max Adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Either is ok, personally I'd use the cable, the less connections etc the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

More often than not, the earthing doesn't work properly on 2-3pin adapters, so use the 13A 3pin cable.

If you bought the computer in Ireland, they are obliged to supply the 3pin plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

whizbang wrote: »
    the earthing doesn't work properly on 2-3pin adapters

Works ok if you get proper adapter. That one is proper earthed.

1175099238.jpg

That one is not earthed for European plug, earth works only with US plug.

367_-_foreign_vistitor.jpg

Main problem is that most laptop power adapter is not earthed, some of them use 2 pin plug, other use 3 pin plug but earth cable is not connected to board when you open adaptor.

Not earthed adaptor, 2 pin:

get_image.php?x=564&y=600&img=1752.jpg

In theory earthed adaptor, 3 pin:

get_image.php?x=564&y=600&img=267.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

dont both adaptors have the double insulated symbol on them?
    class 2 equipment, does not require an earth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i wouldn't bother with adapters at all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP mentioned 'desktop computer' so likelihood that it does need earthing. He should use the cable he bought in Power City as advised by other posters since in all probability the adapter he has is designed for electric shavers or two-pin phone chargers and does not connect to the side earth which I assume is on the German plug.

A laptop AC adapter brick with a clover-leaf connector may have three pins but the DC jack that goes into the laptop only provides positive and negative with no third connection so it can't be earthed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

OP, why didn't you just lop the european plug off the cable and wire on a 3 pin plug??

• Advertisement
Advertisement