Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem trying to Install Windows 7

Options
  • 27-10-2013 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi, I recently purchased a computer from Hardareversand.

I also bought the Windows 7 Home Premum OS from them.

Initially when I put in the disc and turned on the computer it asked me to select a language and keyboard configuration and then asked me to select an installation, however I keep getting the following message

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I do this, however nothing seems to happen.

Any ideas on what to do?

Is it possible that my build cannot play/use DVD-ROMs?

http://www.liteonit.eu/en/optical-storage-dvd-rw-internal/ihas124-04.html

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I'd take a guess that you DVD drive is working fine and the reason you are getting that msg is that your motherboards bios isn't set to boot from it.

So either temporarily change the boot order in the bios or press whatever key is needed on boot up that gives you the boot order menu on my current PC that's F8 but it could be F2 or another key depending on the motherboard manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I'd take a guess that you DVD drive is working fine and the reason you are getting that msg is that your motherboards bios isn't set to boot from it.

Apparently it does boot from DVD or else the OP would not get to the language and keyboard selection menu in Windows setup. ;)

My guess, it's a UEFI motherboard. Either disable UEFI or follow these instructions to install Windows 7 with UEFI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Torqay wrote: »
    Apparently it does boot from DVD or else the OP would not get to the language and keyboard selection menu in Windows setup. ;)

My guess, it's a UEFI motherboard. Either disable UEFI or follow these instructions to install Windows 7 with UEFI.

Hi Yes,

I think it is a UEFI motherboard, my knowledge of computers is very low.

I'm nearly regretting going with this build option from hardwareversand than buying a ready made from the shop.

Before I read your post, I had hit F8 and gone into advanced boot and selected Boot Logging (iirc), it is trying to install windows this way at present but may not work.

I tried to change earlier in the setup where to boot from but it didn't seem to make a difference. I have checked the DISC on my laptop and it seems to be working fine.

If what it is doing at present doesn't work I will proceed to your suggestion.

Thank you for your help

That was my first thought but then I remembered I'd had the same thing happen after putting in a new hard drive in a system, first boot with new HDD used the DVD drive and subsequent boots went back to using the HDD as primary boot device.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

Sounds like the cables from your hard drive have come loose. Unplug the PC and make sure there connected correctly. Your PC isn't detecting the hard drive. Happened my new build from hardware versansd as well and that was the problem. Got the same error message

If it is an SSD your installing windows to, disconnect the other hard drive as well before installing

• Advertisement

creep wrote: »
    Sounds like the cables from your hard drive have come loose. Unplug the PC and make sure there connected correctly. Your PC isn't detecting the hard drive. Happened my new build from hardware versansd as well and that was the problem. Got the same error message

If it is an SSD your installing windows to, disconnect the other hard drive as well before installing

Thank you for your reply, I will check the cable from the back of the computer is in correctly.
    While the computer is from hardwareversand, I paid the €5 to have them build the computer but it is possible the other cable is not in correctly.

Ok, after I got a bit further through the boot logging, the screen went blue and quickly changed to an error message

Install Windows

The computer restarted unexpectedly or enountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installtion.

If I hit OK, the computer restarts and brings me back to the same message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

Thank you for your reply, I will check the cable from the back of the computer is in correctly.
    While the computer is from hardwareversand, I paid the €5 to have them build the computer but it is possible the other cable is not in correctly.

I paid them as well to build mine. Just check the hard drive cables. Mine were half loose with a lot of pressure on them going into the main board as they cable tied the cables to short

The easiest way is to disable UEFI boot, look for an option called Legacy Boot or CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and enable it.

UEFI is required if you want to boot from a HDD > 2TiB.

The easiest way is to disable UEFI boot, look for an option called Legacy Boot or CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and enable it.

UEFI is required if you want to boot from a HDD > 2TiB.

Hi,

Where would I find that Legacy Boot or CSM option?

I have hit F2 after restarting the comp but the only optios I get under Boot are Boot Option Priorities
    Fast Boot
    Boot from Onboard Lan
    Setup Prompt Timeout
    Bootup-Num-Lock
    Full Screen Logo
    Boot Failure Guard
    Boot Failure Guard Count

• Advertisement

I now seem to be getting this Windows Error Recovery message

Then a message saying Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt

Refer to the motherboard manual.

Make and model?

What is the size of your HDD?

Name: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M, FM2, mATX

8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9

AMD A8-5600K Accelerated Processor mit AMD Radeon HD 7560D Grafik Box

Enter the UEFI Setup Utility (F2 or DEL), go to Security menu, disable Secure Boot Control, save the settings and try again.

Secure Boot state is already disabled mate I just checked there.

The error I am getting now is this Windows Boot Manager error

I think I am making things worse with my own actions :( serious ballache this

34 indicates a device driver failure. Go to the Storage Menu, change the SATA settings to IDE and try again, you can install the chipset/controller driver later and change the setting to AHCI again.

34 indicates a device driver failure. Go to the Storage Menu, change the SATA settings to IDE and try again, you can install the chipset/controller driver later and change the setting to AHCI again.

Hi,

I went into Storage Menu and it says SATA IDE Combined Mode - Enabled.

I also seemto have deleted a disk of some sort it seems :mad:

When it asks you "Where do you want to install Windows"

There has been previously two options, one for around 100mb and the other option for 931.5gb which says Disk 0 unallocated space.

However I deleted the smaller disk one for around 100 mb and now it is not appearing :(

Never mind the 100 MB partition, only required if you want to use BitLocker.

Delete all partitions, create a new one and install Windows again (with SATA IDE).

I'm going for pints now, maybe you should walk away from it for a wee while too. ;)

Never mind the 100 MB partition, only required if you want to use BitLocker.

Delete all partitions, create a new one and install Windows again (with SATA IDE).

I'm going for pints now, maybe you should walk away from it for a wee while too. ;)

Thanks for all your help.

I finally got a bit further than I have all evening and it looked like it was close to finally installing till I then got a new message from Windows Boot Manager.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrn1.exe
    Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.

Maybe a break and a fresh head will help me.

Enjoy your pint Torqay.

• Advertisement

I am going to try this again later tonight, will delete all the partitions and try install Windows 7 again and hopefully I wont get any error messages.

Anyone any other ideas to try?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Have you tried another installation disk?
    It could be faulty install media.

You can download a genuine Win7 iso from here and burn it to a dvd (depending on your version) and then use the key that came with your disk to activate it...

Home Premium 64bit: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

Home Premium 32bit: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso

Worth a try, if only to rule out a dodgy DVD.

On a side note, whenever this type of thing has happened to me in the past, it was usually down to a bad Hard Drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

how about trying to eliminate a few tings at once ? download and burn to disk Gparted and see it see the drive and makes sure its nothing with the disk as i have had issues with CD/DVDs when attempting to install from them before.

or try the USB drive option which will also skip the DVD drive see if it sees the Hard disk and go from there. take pics (even with a camera if needed) if gparted wint boot there is a MB issue id say

hope this helps
    ZIM

So I turned on the computer on Thursday night and it actually allowed me straight away to go to the set-up screen to register a user name and a computer name and I had to enter the activation key, so I did all that.

So then it looked like it was doing the final steps and got to Preparing Desktop and then the computer just restarted and came back with an error message saying windows wasn't closed properly or something and I just selected Start Windows Normally.

So again it asked me for a user name and activation key, however when I entered the previous username it said it was already in use, so I just entered a new username and did the same steps and then it restarted again.

Now it tells me that both the previous usernames I entered are in use.

Any idea what is happening?

Is there a way I can uninstall it and try it fresh again? Like using the iso to dvd option mentioned in a couple of posts above?

**Update**

So I registered a third username and this time it allowed me get to the desktop maybe because I unticked the box saying "Automatically activate windows when I'm online", however the computer again restarted on me.

So after restarting again it gave me 3 usernames to log-in under, so I chose the latest one I selected.

So now if I go into the System & Security set-up in the Control Panel, it says down the bottom I have 24 days to activate windows.

So I haven't activated Windows as per my post above, but i went into the control panel to check for Windows Updates but a few seconds after it starts the system just restarts or freezes.

A couple of times after it restarts a blue screen comes up. x0000003b blue screen & blue screen x0000001e

The computer just constantly seems to be freezing and restarting.

Don't know what the hell is going on.

Have you run a full memory check yet?

Have you run a full memory check yet?

No I dont think so, how do I do that?

Ok I found this page
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff700221.aspx

I did what was suggested in the link above, but as it was around 8% through the testing the computer restarted again.

No I dont think so, how do I do that?

Ok I found this page
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff700221.aspx

I'll just check if its changed but http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/windows-vista/windows-memory-diagnostic-test-your-computer-ram-for-errors/ should help.

Just checked on Windows 7 (can't be bothered to sway drives at this time of night) and its...

F8>System Recovery Options>next>log in>Windows Memory Diagnostic

Hi,

I ran it again and it got to 10% complete of the first test and the computer rebooted :(

However a message during the test did say there are hardware problems detected and to contact the manufacturer

• Advertisement

OK so if it was the Windows Memory Diagnostic you were running then at least you know its a hardware issue and not your fault. Try and get some different memory first or if you have two or more sticks or RAM try them one at a time to see if you have at least one good stick.

Advertisement