Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem trying to Install Windows 7

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

OK so if it was the Windows Memory Diagnostic you were running then at least you know its a hardware issue and not your fault. Try and get some different memory first or if you have two or more sticks or RAM try them one at a time to see if you have at least one good stick.

The RAM I have is the below

http://www.hardwareversand.de/1600+Low+Voltage/44314/8GB-Kit+G-Skill+RipJaws+PC3-12800U+CL9.article?pcconfAddUri=/pcconfigurator.jsp%3FpcConfigurator.ram.ram.0%3D44314%3A3002&pcconfBackUri=/pcconfselect.jsp?pcConfigurator.catid=3&pcConfigurator.maid=0&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

Do I have to open up the Computer to check the RAM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Unfortunately you do have to open up the case.

If you take out one stick of RAM leaving the other in the slot nearest the processor and run the memtest again then you can see if that one stick is OK then take it out and put the other stick in the same slot run memtest again and you'll see if one stick is OK.

May not be the memory but that would now be top of my list to check.

how about trying to eliminate a few tings at once ? download and burn to disk Gparted and see it see the drive and makes sure its nothing with the disk as i have had issues with CD/DVDs when attempting to install from them before.

or try the USB drive option which will also skip the DVD drive see if it sees the Hard disk and go from there. take pics (even with a camera if needed) if gparted wint boot there is a MB issue id say

hope this helps
    ZIM

Hi Zim,

I downloaded gparted and ran the Memtest86, it got to a pass rate of just 20/21% and just then a load of red lines came up at the bottom half of the screen under failing address and then the computer froze :(

Unfortunately you do have to open up the case.

If you take out one stick of RAM leaving the other in the slot nearest the processor and run the memtest again then you can see if that one stick is OK then take it out and put the other stick in the same slot run memtest again and you'll see if one stick is OK.

May not be the memory but that would now be top of my list to check.

OK, is there a link to some instructions as I havent a clue what to do/look for?

Thanks

OK, is there a link to some instructions as I havent a clue what to do/look for?

Thanks

If you google something like replacing ram in pc or how to upgrade pc ram then you should get plenty of instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hi Zim,

I downloaded gparted and ran the Memtest86, it got to a pass rate of just 20/21% and just then a load of red lines came up at the bottom half of the screen under failing address and then the computer froze :(

Did you try partitioning the hdd with gparted? Gparted will tell you if the drive is faulty, usually a triangle will appear on the partition you're trying to create.

jca wrote: »
    Did you try partitioning the hdd with gparted? Gparted will tell you if the drive is faulty, usually a triangle will appear on the partition you're trying to create.

I won't be back in my parents house now till Thursday, so I will have a look thenn.

On Gparted, how would I go about partitioning the hdd?

The only potential issue is that the computer seems to reboot or freeze everytime I try to do something.

jca wrote: »

The OP can't even run a memory test without the system crashing so how is checking if the drive is faulty going to help here?

OP can if he likes run a memory test again with the HDD disconnected just to check if the HDD is part of the issue, it doesn't even take part in a memory test so nothing will change.

Whatever happens the OP is going to need to get inside the PC unless he wants to send the whole lot back.

Hi,

I opened up the computer there tonight and took out one piece of RAM.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic test on the one piece of RAM and it passed with no errors.

I then swapped it with the other piece of RAM and now I am getting an error that there is no signal with the monitor :(

I have even swapped monitors and its the same issue and even swapped the RAM.

I don't know what is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pollymike

Let me follow what you did.
    1. You took out one memory stick
    2. then ran the test and all was OK.
    3. Then you shut down the pc, took out the memory stick and put the other in the same slot and you got and issue.
    4. You shut down, took out the memory again and put back in the memory which passed the test into the same slot and you got an issue?

Try the same test in the other memory slot. When replacing the memory, be firm but don't force it. There should be fasteners which click into place when it is fully in.

If both memory sticks work in the other slot, then the issue is with the first slot and your motherboard needs to be replaced.

If only one of the memory sticks works in the other slot then put it in the first slot again just to test. If it works in the first slot then it's a memory issue.

• Advertisement

Hi,

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No I put the other in the original slot it was in before I took it out
    4. Yes

There is fasteners but they don't seem to click into place, like I put the memory card in and then I push the fasteners down over each end,

When the memory card is in and the fastener is pushed over the memory card, I am still practically able to pull the memory card towards me without any real pressure/effort.

Pollymike wrote: »
    Let me follow what you did.
    1. You took out one memory stick
    2. then ran the test and all was OK.
    3. Then you shut down the pc, took out the memory stick and put the other in the same slot and you got and issue.
    4. You shut down, took out the memory again and put back in the memory which passed the test into the same slot and you got an issue?

Try the same test in the other memory slot. When replacing the memory, be firm but don't force it. There should be fasteners which click into place when it is fully in.

If both memory sticks work in the other slot, then the issue is with the first slot and your motherboard needs to be replaced.

If only one of the memory sticks works in the other slot then put it in the first slot again just to test. If it works in the first slot then it's a memory issue.

3. No I put the other in the original slot it was in before I took it out

Do the RAM test in the same slot each time, there's a very small chance you have a Mobo that has to have the first slot filled before it will recognize anything in the second (next) slot. The SIM slots should be marked something like DIMM 1, DIMM 2 or DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 in which case do all your tests with only one stick in the slot with the lowest number. That first slot is normally physically nearer the CPU.
    There is fasteners but they don't seem to click into place, like I put the memory card in and then I push the fasteners down over each end,
    When the memory card is in and the fastener is pushed over the memory card, I am still practically able to pull the memory card towards me without any real pressure/effort.

Thats wrong, with the clips in place the RAM shouldn't move and certainly not come out unless you flip the clips down. Another small test is that when you push the clips down (outwards away from the RAM to remove it) then the RAM should be lifted slightly (if not completely) out of the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pollymike

Like the glass key said, test each memory stick in one slot at a time before moving to the other. How may slots do you have BTW. Is it just two or 4 and are they different colours?

Pollymike wrote: »
    Like the glass key said, test each memory stick in one slot at a time before moving to the other. How may slots do you have BTW. Is it just two or 4 and are they different colours?

4 slots, not sure if they are different colours, will check when back up in the parents house.

Just an update on this, I contacted Hardwareversand and returned the computer to them. It turned out there was a problem with faulty RAM, they replaced it and returned the computer to me.

I set it up a week ago and everything is working fine.

So thanks for all your help to everyone in this thread.

Just an update on this, I contacted Hardwareversand and returned the computer to them. It turned out there was a problem with faulty RAM, they replaced it and returned the computer to me.

I set it up a week ago and everything is working fine.

So thanks for all your help to everyone in this thread.

Think I am after giving it the kiss of death with the above post :mad: :( :eek:

The computer now won't boot at all, you couldn't make it up!!!! :mad:

Advertisement