Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Lou Reed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I'm so sad about this.

He was my hero - so many of his songs were very important to me.

Listening to this song at full volume is one of the greatest pleasures in life:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Ah thats ****e news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Music would have been very different without Lou, one of the most original and uncompromising musicians of the last century.

RIP Lou

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Lets post our favourite songs of his:

Here's mine:
    http://youtu.be/PK4DeMYtumc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was lucky enough to meet him ten years ago. Very gracious and polite, not at all like the grumpy curmudgeon he seemed to be generally perceived as. I knew he had been ill but I was shocked and saddened to get a text from a friend a short time ago with the news of his passing.
    I don't know if I have a favourite track, but right now, Coney Island Baby comes to mind.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

A huge talent loved the Velvet Underground. R.I.P Lou Reed
    Not such a perfect day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Very sad. The Velvet Underground were the soundtrack for a couple of very significant years of my life.. R.I. P. Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Absolutely shocking news. So many great songs and albums, so many fantastic turns of phrase. Even Metal Music Machine is better than most of the dross out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

rip lou
    musical and lyrical genius.
    a sad, sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,155 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

RIP, Your song made Trainspotting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

RIP Lou! Perfect day is one of my favourite tracks despite that celeb version which ruined it...even if was for charity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Gosh I'm shocked.....R.I.P Lou:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Rock N Roll Genius. He was never dull or boring. I will be giving Heavenly Arms a listen. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

A very sad day for rock 'n' roll. Lou gave us so many fantastic moments and some of the anecdotes about him from various other musicians and scribes are brilliant! This is just one of many amazing songs but this one is particularly magnificent...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just gutted, one of the most influential musicians ever. Sad sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Devastating news.
    Like most people when they first discover The Velvets I obsessed over all of their magical albums from Nico to Loaded and then got to explore the weird and wonderful world of Lou's solo career.
    It was frequently brilliant, sometimes baffling, occassionlly frustrating, but never for one moment dull!
    A huge loss and an irreplaceable genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

This is one of my favourite songs of his. He may even have approved of the two nutters miming to it. I like it anyway.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I have been to many concerts and have seen all the greats and still to this day maintain that a Lou Reed concert I was in mid 90's was the greatest concert I was ever at. Venue was only half full so everyone was encouraged to move to front by Lou when he came out and then started gig with Sweet Jane and it went from there at a 100mph! Even though there were only about 1000 people there they seemed to be all die hard fans and the atmosphere was incredible. No encore, he just played and played for about two hours and you were with him and his band with every note. Only saw him that one time and will never forget it. Legend. RIP Lou Reed.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,898 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have been to many concerts and have seen all the greats and still to this day maintain that a Lou Reed concert I was in mid 90's was the greatest concert I was ever at. Venue was only half full so everyone was encouraged to move to front by Lou when he came out and then started gig with Sweet Jane and it went from there at a 100mph! Even though there were only about 1000 people there they seemed to be all die hard fans and the atmosphere was incredible. No encore, he just played and played for about two hours and you were with him and his band with every note. Only saw him that one time and will never forget it. Legend. RIP Lou Reed.

The Point Depot - 1996: Me and the Mrs. were also one of the 1000 or so who turned up - a stunning gig and definitely one of the highlights of all the gigs I've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

RIP Lou Reed.

For me his New York album will always have a special place in my collection but at the moment, his Magic & Loss album seems most poignant.
    Now the coal black sea waits for me me me
    The coal black sea waits forever
    When I leave this joint
    at some further point
    The same coal black sea will it be waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

I was at that gig also 'Set the Twilight Reeling ' had been released I think.
    Saw him a few times, first was at Brixton Academy in 1983/ 84 can't remember exactly.
    Don't really have a favourite track they mean something at different times . This one kinda sums up how we all feel about him gone...

Lou Reed!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Up The Bare Stairs

Arts Tonight on RTE Radio 1 did a program remembering Lou on Monday night last http://www.rte.ie/radio1/arts-tonight/

Advertisement