Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can cat5e be used for an outdoor camera

Options
  • 27-10-2013 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭

hi i was told by a sales chap in maplins today that a cat5e cable is all thats needed to power an outdoor camera .
    is this correct ? could i simply use one of the 4 spare cat5e cables that the electrican wired into the house .
    also can anyone reccomend an external camera that will work well in day and nighttime too ? something that wont break the bank as ima tad short on cash at the moment saving for christmas but want to get some sort of camera or cameras up and running to deter any potential thieves .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    hi i was told by a sales chap in maplins today that a cat5e cable is all thats needed to power an outdoor camera .
    is this correct ?
    could i simply use one of the 4 spare cat5e cables that the electrican wired into the house .
    also can anyone reccomend an external camera that will work well in day and nighttime too ? something that wont break the bank as we are a tad short on cash at the moment saving for christmas but want to get some sort of camera or cameras up and running to deter any potential thieves .
    Depends on the distance between camera and switch but generally CAT 5e is fine.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

kippy wrote: »
    Depends on the distance between camera and switch but generally CAT 5e is fine.....

not that clued up on this security camera stuff to be honest . what is a switch ?

chap in maplins said about using the tv screen in the main bedroom as a screen to also view the cameras on , as thats the best place to be able to view the cameras from if someone tries to break in at night or break into the car in the driveway . he seems to have a good point there .
    so with that in mind the distance from main bedroom to the front camera location would be roughly about 13 meters and 28 meters to the back of the house . so can cat5e be used ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any camera can be powered using cat5 & the video on a second pair using baluns like these
    _BALUN.GIF

If using IP cameras you need a POE switch & camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need "outdoor" cat5 if you are running it outdoors

-the ordinary stuff can split from the sunlight etc
    - Maplin are ok - they have stuff there and then but can be a little $$$

Loads of stuff out there eg :

http://www.cameras-cctv.com/ <-- free post on orders >150

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

These guys are pretty good to deal with..

• Advertisement

great to read that i can use cat5e , makes life a little easier so .
    thanks for the help aswell .

can anyone show me a good camera off of those 2 websites to buy ?
    dont have mad money to throw at this , but still lookin for a decent enough camera .
    or is there any good camera and recorder packages out there that will do the job for my house . want to get something up and running as soon as possible .

anyone able to show me a good pair od camers suitable for a house from the websites above , or a good camera and recorder kit that wont break the bank .

Take a look at eyespycctv. They are very good on offers with kits etc.
    Their details are in the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 erronagh

yes try adata .co.uk get a basic 600 line cam around 30 quid u can use cat 5 one pair for video other pairs for the 12 volt supply

• Advertisement

thanks to both of you .
    rise in house break ins and people being attacked in their house these days so want to protect house and myself too .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    thanks to both of you .
    rise in house break ins and people being attacked in their house these days so want to protect house and myself too .

Please tell me you already have an alarm.

kub wrote: »
    Please tell me you already have an alarm.
    i do a hkc alarm system . cctv is for a further visual deterent aswell as catching any potential thieveing scum on camera .

Advertisement