Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are resistance bands any good?

• 27-10-2013 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

Anyone here use them? Are they a good alternative to the dumbbell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

They aren't an alternative to Dumbbells but I think they are an excellent training tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use mountain bike inner tubes, got some cheap as the valves were water damaged. You might have some available to you if you wanted an idea of what they will be like. I use them mainly for warming up.

Wider puncture resistant tubes will typically have more elastic resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

rubadub wrote: »
    I use mountain bike inner tubes, got some cheap as the valves were water damaged. You might have some available to you if you wanted an idea of what they will be like. I use them mainly for warming up.

Wider puncture resistant tubes will typically have more elastic resistance.

Thanks for the tip, was looking at getting bands, now realise i have an old mountain bike with flat tires rusting away in the shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I got some yesterday in Argos. I find them great for working the shoulders. After a few military presses my shoulders were burning. Bicep curls did nothing for the arms though. The triceps exercises don't do much either, but I suppose they're good for warming up before barbell curls and bench presses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Movements I use bands for mainly

Face pulls
    Band pull aparts
    X band walks
    Assistance on dips and pull ups
    IYT's
    Stretching daily with them

Get them in d8fitness

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I got some yesterday in Argos.
    Regular shops like argos or elverys will only have fairly weak resistance bands, and weak other things like those hand gripper things, even if they say they are heavy duty.

The iron woody ones get recommended a lot. Or that D8 place would have good strong ones.

Transform wrote: »

Face pulls
    Band pull aparts
    X band walks
    IYT's

Get them in d8fitness

I had to google most of them. They weren't in the manual. ;) I'll have to try a few of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Regular shops like argos or elverys will only have fairly weak resistance bands, and weak other things like those hand gripper things, even if they say they are heavy duty.

The iron woody ones get recommended a lot. Or that D8 place would have good strong ones.

I got some 300lb grippers in Elvery's in Dundrum. Haven't managed to close them yet though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good non latex resistance band?

• Advertisement

should be able to get them from any of the physio supply companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Transform wrote: »

Face pulls
    Band pull aparts
    X band walks
    IYT's

Get them in d8fitness

Ordered Tuesday evening and just arrived.

Along with a world of pain lacrosse ball.

I got some 300lb grippers in Elvery's in Dundrum. Haven't managed to close them yet though...
    I stand corrected, good to hear. In the past shops like this have had only "heavy duty" ones like these

"Everlast Extra Strength Push Up Hand Grips"
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9268829/Trail/searchtext%3EGRIP.htm

which you could do endless reps on all day long if you were just reasonably strong.

I stand corrected, good to hear. In the past shops like this have had only "heavy duty" ones like these

"Everlast Extra Strength Push Up Hand Grips"
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9268829/Trail/searchtext%3EGRIP.htm

which you could do endless reps on all day long if you were just reasonably strong.

The powerball is better.

Advertisement