Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breastfeeding in public

Options
  • 27-10-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am breastfeeding my two week old son on demand which can be every three hours or every twenty minutes. So far I have fed him once in public, food hall of shopping centre. other than that though it was just in front of family in my home
    The problem is with my mam in law. When she visited she made a comment about how my father and sister in law were uncomfortable when my other sister in law breastfed in front of them. (This was while I was breastfeeding) I replied fair play to her, baby has to be fed. Today we went to her house for dinner and I knew that I would be feeding my son at some stage. when I got there she said I have the den ready for you, I put a blanket in there for you as it can be cold, I told her I had no problem feeding him in the sitting room as it can take an hour and left it at that.
    When it came to feeding him she again said the den is ready for you so I just went into the other room and fed him. My husband came in with us and we left shortly after
    I am upset that she was determined to have me breastfed in the other room. At the same time I respect it's her house and she is clearly uncomfortable with breastfeeding. I am now planning on not going back to her house until we are done with breastfeeding. I feel real disappointed and upset too. Am I over reacting? Anybody got advice on how to deal with this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

yes you are get over yourself..........................the father in law probably wanted to launch onto one of your bosoms for a sample

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I can understand your upset, my in laws were similar, suggesting I use a different room without actually saying it. A lot of Irish people are weird about breastfeeding, even young people.

I completely understand why you wouldn't want to go over now. Perhaps leave it a few weeks and see how you feel then. Then maybe invite them over to your house so you can do what you want. In the meantime if they live close by, could your husband bring baby over for an hour after baby has been fed.

Don't let her put you off breastfeeding but try not to fall out over it either as grandparents ate so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

yes you are get over yourself..........................the father in law probably wanted to launch onto one of your bosoms for a sample

Unhelpful posting will not be tolerated here. Post like that again and you will receive a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I knew my FIL was uncomfortable with breastfeeding so instead of leaving the room I just threw a cellular blanket over me and baby. I didn't breastfeed for long enough for it to become a problem though. Get a breastfeeding shawl and don't worry about her trying to shoo you into the den in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It's her house, I don't think its unreasonable for her to prepare an alternative room for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As long as you are discreet I don't see why it is an issue, I'd a friend who breastfed, and tbh you'd be hard pressed to distinguish between her child snuggling up and breastfeeding

Your in laws sound a bit controlling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Get a shawl and use it when feeding baby if you like. It's the most natural thing in the world so never let anybody make you feel bad for doing it, or shoo you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Stheno wrote: »
    As long as you are discreet I don't see why it is an issue, I'd a friend who breastfed, and tbh you'd be hard pressed to distinguish between her child snuggling up and breastfeeding

Your in laws sound a bit controlling.

Have to agree. Have you had problems with your MIL before this? If so, then I think she is just using this to make you feel uncomfortable. If not, then maybe you should try having a heart to heart with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Your baby has to be fed, it's a basic need. I think your mother in law needs to get over it, as well as anyone else there.
    It's not like your stripping down and doing a dance, I'm sure you're being relatively discreet.
    If you were anywhere but in their home, they would be breaking the law.
    My mother in law isn't entirely comfortable with me breadtfeeding my child but she's realised it's not going to change. If I'm going to be shooed or hidden away to nurse, My child and i won't be visiting.
    I hope your partner is supportive, it can make it so difficult otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blocktober

Thanks for the replies

I had a cover that is specific for breastfeeding. It's draws attention to the fact that I'm breastfeeding but covers everything.

We get on fairly well. I suppose that I'll just have to stick it out and leave the visits until I have a better feeding routine established.

I have no problem visiting her, I'm not falling out with her over it, I just plan on avoiding visiting as I felt a bit embarrassed and excluded which I disliked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

God I hate those covers, I think if anything they just draw attention to the whole affair.... It's like saying "don't think about a pink elephant". Maybe a muslin or something if you are uncomfortable and at least it can double as a burp cloth.

As stheno says, a breastfeeding child just looks like one who is snuggling. And with looser tops or the special breastfeeding ones you can hardly tell at all. I recently fed my daughter while walking around Kinsale and no one was any the wiser. My teenage daughter said she didn't even realise until she bent over the baby.

This is your mil's issue, not yours. (And she puts you in a room that gets a bit cold???!!) You are giving her grandchild the absolute best start in life and are being made to feel weird about it? Breastfeeding can be isolating enough sometimes when you feel tied to the baby, so the last thing you need is to be put in another room. As liliq said, anywhere else it would be illegal to ask. I'm all for respecting people's house rules, but this is hardly lighting up a fag in a non-smoking house.

Stick to your guns. They'll get used to it. My dad was a bit weird about it at first but after a short while didn't even notice.

Sorry if I sound a bit ranty. Probably because I am :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I do think its unreasonable to expect you to move when your feeding your baby.

In all seriousness though my in laws had no experience of anyone breastfeeding ever. And I mean ever! They were horribly uncomfortable at the start. And that wasn't in their house, but in mine where I certainly was not moving. When we started visiting them after the first few weeks I did occasionally feed in the sitting room, but normally threw myself in the armchair in the corner of the kitchen and always made sure I was wearing a breastfeeding top, or a vest top and regular top in the same colour. That way they didn't even realise I was feeding the majority of the time. If I hadn't I would feed elsewhere, just because I do get on very well with them, and I was doing my best to make sure they were comfortable, after the comfort of my baby. I fed until she was 15 months so really and truly they just got used to it, and both say now how good a start she got. Muslins and covers really can draw more attention to it I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Would your husband talk to his mother. He could be really straightforward and tell her just how upset, disappointed and unwelcome she made you feel today and that you don't think you will be comfortable in their house as long as you are breastfeeding if visits are going to be like that. It's her home and it's her choice, she can either accept you feeding your son when necessary without excluding you or she can lay down conditions but accept that you won't then be visiting.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think my in-laws were unused to breastfeeding in front of them, so I used to go into the other sitting room, especially when the baby got a bit older and was more curious meaning he would stop feeding for a good look around.

Having said that, MIL would have a fire on (even during mild weather) in that room so it would be warm for us and would pop in to check if I needed a cuppa or anything else.

I would not visit again to be honest, and be straight with her (or rather get your husband to say this) the reason why. That you were upset at being evicted to a cold room to feed your child, and that she made it clear she was embarrassed, and since you don't wish to embarrass her further and you will be breastfeeding your baby until [insert whatever age] she is welcome to visit her grandchild in your home, or wait until they are weaned to visit their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My dad is the type of man who would spontaneously combust if he caught sight of a nipple key alone his daughters nipple. When I started feeding my son I used to go into the sitting room where my mam had a fire lighting especially for us but after a few weeks I thought sod this and I just started lifting my top and feeding.

There was a lot of intense staring at TV or newspaper but within weeks my quintessential prude of a dad went from running out of the room to sitting there and chatting to me.

When I had my daughter it was so much easier as the ground was broken.

I'd say don't get confrontational about it but don't go to a different room either. Just feed your baby. They'll get used to it. Use a muslin cloth or scarf if it makes it easier for you.

Congrats on your little one btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

OK, it's a dilemma, I was even embarrassed at my wife feeding our children. Odd seeing as I was [am] a supporter of breast feeding so I was surprised at myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Get your husband to tell his mother that if she wants to support you and her grandchild that she's going about it the wrong way - you need inclusion not exclusion.

She might think she's doing you a favour because she would be mortified if anybody saw her breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

3DataModem wrote: »
    It's her house, I don't think its unreasonable for her to prepare an alternative room for you.

Its breast feeding. It's perfectly normal, breasts are not in display, there's a babies head latched on to it. If my patents said that to my wife 'd met them know that either she breasts feeds where she wants out we won't come over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Wow, I can't believe she wanted to banish you and the baby to the cold den!! Especially when there was a sitting room no one else was in?? I sincerely believe this weird Irish breastfeeding issue will only go away when people like you good self assert their right and need to breastfeed wherever and whenever necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

I completely agree with sala, the more people out there who breastfeed in public will help it become the norm and maybe Irish society will not be so prudish about it. Well done you though. I would advise doing whatever makes your life easier, your a new mum who doesn't need this hassle, so pick and choose your battles on this one..to prevent a bigger fall out with your in laws.
    Breastfeed where ever, whenever you want, if your in laws are with you, but when it comes to their house perhaps go with the flow. Just perhaps limit the amount of time you spend in their house and let them come to yours.

I really hope it blows over for you, as I said you definitely don't need that kind of negativity in your life right now. Its such an amazing gift to give your child..good luck.

Omg just after watching holly McNish recite her poem 'embarrassed'...such a powerful and moving piece of work...a must see for every woman who has...'sat on a cold toilet seat' to feed her baby...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Yup, was in a shopping centre the other day and mentioned to a girl I know in a wheelchair I might need to feed the baby. She said loads of women use the disabled toilet if I wanted to go in there... It reminded me straight away of that poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

This is so rude of your MIL. Explain that you won't be going to her house in future because you don't want to be isolated when feeding your child. Breast feeding is pretty much on demand and it can get boring. Not fun sitting somewhere cold. Ask your mother in law when your baby is on solids will you be expected to put the highchair in the den too and feed him there??
    Breast feeding is food and I really don't understand why someone would be uncomfortable! :mad: Most natural thing in the world. She should be ashamed for being so close minded and making a new mother uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I breast feed in front of my partners parents and others at home but in their house they had a fire ready in the sitting room. It was easier especially if there were some other visitors around. I had no problem breastfeeding in public and have done it quite a bit but often I prefered somewhere quiet.

I don't think the mil was intentionally insulting and I also don't think it is the issue worth fighting over. I'd just make sure I could go somewhere warm and comfortable. It's not that easy for people to overcome their hang ups about human body.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I'm male and my kids were breast fed by their mother, the most natural thing in the world and lovely to watch. So I would support any woman doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was such a clutz at getting baby to latch in the beginning that I used to use use a muslin tucked into my neck as a cover, also i felt better as baby was still getting enough air to breath. I used to have to lift up the entire breast and stuff it into babies mouth to get him on though.

But if anyone was uncomfortable both me and the baby would have been outta there. They can come visit me at my home under my rules if they are 'uncomfortable'. Baby fed all the time, I was inseparable from him, if you wanted to see him, you had to see me, end of.

It was more my family that had the sever intense stars at the telly and the, 'anyone want tea' announcements but now they are over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sala wrote: »
    I sincerely believe this weird Irish breastfeeding issue will only go away when people like you good self assert their right and need to breastfeed wherever and whenever necessary.

Just to say my (irish) family never had a problem with me breastfeeding in front of them. It was the canadian and american visitors who were leaving the room. Plenty of irish people are like that too I'm sure, but generalisations by nationality are not fair. Plenty of irish people are perfectly fine with it. Even in the OP's extended family there is only one person making any fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I used to get my LO to latch on in another room in private and then re join everyone when I had a good latch. The amount of smiles and nods I got of people when feeding in public was very reasurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was only made to feel a little uncomfortable once. When it was suggested I move to a more 'private' (ie cold sitting room away from the group) area I politely said I was fine where I was and fed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blocktober

Thanks again for the replies.

I have discussed them with my husband and he suggested that we visit again and if I am asked to go to the other room he will say in a non confrontational way that I can feed here and if there is an issue with it then they may visit us in our home.

That way we don't just stop visiting while being honest with her. I don't want to be passive aggressive or confrontational but at the same time I don't want to be sitting on my own when we visit for the next six months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Blocktober that sounds like I good idea. I had the same problem with my in laws and there is 100s of them!! Surprisingly it was the women who had a problem with it, in the end it was one of the older men who stuck up for me saying that I could feed him wherever I wanted. He asked them how would they feel if they came to my house and I asked them to bottle feed in another room??

Advertisement