Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgeting costs for a one year old

Options
  • 27-10-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I have a one year old daughter and I'm trying to work out a monthly budget.
    Given how fast they grow out of clothes at this age what would be a reasonable monthly clothes bill for her for the next 6 months?
    Looking at middle of the range clothes, not designer, not bargain basement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I would be interested in this too. I like the children's clothes from H&M. I'm thinking that when my LO can fit into the 4month-2year range that I would buy maybe a top/dress/leggings outfit for each day of the week, so say 7 outfits and then mix and match the leggings, dresses, tops to create different outfits. Tops and dresses are priced around €4.95-€6.95. Jeans/leggings are the same. You could spend €50 on buying the outfits for each age group which seem to go up 2-3 months. Maybe this is too much but I want to solely spend her child benefit on her and only her and would use this money as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Well this is just me and a lot of people may not like this but I check out a lot of the charity shops. There are so many new or almost new clothes for small babies (up to 2-3 years). I find a lot of pants there and then get shirts from tesco, penneys, dunnes. Between those three stores there are always baby clothes reduced or on sale. I buy bigger sizes as I see them on sale. The last two sizes I've only had to buy him socks and a pack of vests. we have a super tight budget and im able to clothe my little boy well and stylish by doing this. I have lots for all the way up through 18-24.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Tescos are great for kids clothes and the quality is excellent despite the cheap price.

After that I'd suggest buying bundles of clothes on adverts or similar sites for day to day stuff. You can always go to next for the good clothes.

Buying on sale is a great idea especially for big items like coats.

In hindsight you realise they grow our of clothes so quickly up to 2 years that buying new clothes really is money down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Tescos are great for kids clothes and the quality is excellent despite the cheap price.

After that I'd suggest buying bundles of clothes on adverts or similar sites for day to day stuff. You can always go to next for the good clothes.

Buying on sale is a great idea especially for big items like coats.

In hindsight you realise they grow our of clothes so quickly up to 2 years that buying new clothes really is money down the drain.

I agree with you about money down the drain to a certain extent but I'm going to justify spending money on my babies clothes as I'm the first of my sisters/friends to have a baby and have no hand me downs. The middle range clothes do wash better and so will get more wears eventually when my friends/sisters might have babies. Also as I said, if you work it out it's only a small bit from her child benefit per week. Not sure why I'm justifying really, I just like nice clothes on my baby and know the clothes will always get worn again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I found that after about 18 months, my LO stopped growing out of clothes as fast as she had been. She's nearly 3 now and there's still some things shw's wearing that she had this time last year.

For clothes, I get by with a few pairs of leggings, a couple of pairs of jeans/trousers, a couple of skirts and I find a denim pinafore dress absolutely invaluable. Then I have a ton of tops, both short and long sleeved and about half a dozen cardigans (which is probably too much...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I reckon about 30 euro a month at that age would be about right on average.
    Shoes are expensive but Tesco,Boots,Next and H&M do great clothes and their sales are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Thanks for the replies.
    I used to get nappies in aldi which were great and good value.
    Was looking to buy some today but they dont seem to do any over size 5. We are up to size 5+ now.
    Anyone who where the best value good quality nappies are for size 5+ and above?

Lidl do size 5+. I use them and have had no problems

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

3 for 2 nappies in Boots are great value aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

We stock up when anything is on sale like wipes/nappies etc.
    I think Penney's are great. Two pairs of trousers 4 euro, jumpers for 4 euro, age 12-18months, H&M have great sales and Tesco has a sale rail sometimes.
    I really don't bother buying expensive clothes as my little man, crawls all over the place and spills everything on them!!
    I got a winter snowsuit for 12 euro in Penny's. Gloves and feet removable.
    Also got a winter jacket for 3 euro in Aldi on sale.
    I'm always buying clothes in advance when on sale and I tend to get bigger clothes so we get a bit longer.
    I find aldi nappies are great but sometimes tesco has great sales on pampers.
    I just got 12 packets of wipes for 12 euro in tesco. Not bad although have got it cheaper before.

sign up to tesco baby club as well because they send you out vouchers! Which are really great sometimes!!

By the way we buy our milk (powder) at boots because it's 1 euro cheaper than tesco or other shops!

Finally Ikea for stuff like spoons and bowls, bibs, playmats and accessories.
    Get an Ikea family card and it's a bit cheaper! Heatons has some amazing sales from time to time! Got some lovely winter PJs for my little one.

• Advertisement

My monthly budget for nappies wipes milk food and clothes is coming to €180.
    Does that seem a bit low or am I missing a few things?

I have a 9 month old boy and he costs me roughly

12.15 x3 for Formula 36.45

Nappies 12 ( Boots own brand 15 euro for 156)
    Wipes 4 (Boots,pampers lidl or Johnsons whichever I get for a euro or under)

Clothes 20 (he has his sisters vests and socks otherwise Next,Lidl and Tesco)

so about 72.45

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have a 9 month old boy and he costs me roughly

12.15 x3 for Formula 36.45

Nappies 12 ( Boots own brand 15 euro for 156)
    Wipes 4 (Boots,pampers lidl or Johnsons whichever I get for a euro or under)

Clothes 20 (he has his sisters vests and socks otherwise Next,Lidl and Tesco)

so about 72.45

What about food?
    I would budget €50 a month for food.

He mostly eats what we eat now so I am not very sure but 50 a month would be close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Hi very interested in this thread as have a 1 year old myself, with regards to clothes so far I have been putting money aside each month and then bought in the next sales for the following year, so what she is wearing now was bought in the sale last Stephen's day,but also have got pressies of clothes and kinda surprisingly found the tesco clothes quite good, in fact I swear by the tesco vests which I keep an eye out for on sale as quiet often get a 5 pack for half price so as little as €3-4 and find the long sleeve vests can be great under shorter sleeve t-shirts too. Tend to pick up the pampers sensitive wipes whenever they on special offer so generally €1 each, use Aldi nappies too and she generally eats whatever we are eating. But what I'm not sure how to budget for are her shoes? she only started walking properly last week so havn't bought any yet but no idea how often we will have to get her new pairs?? any tips?

I'd say avoid Clarks for shoes as they have a tendency to measure incorrectly or do half sizes so you'll be going back for a new pair within 6 weeks. Independent shoe shops are much better as they will stock more than one brand. They might be dearer than Clarks but they work out cheaper if the child is measured correctly and takes a few months to grow into the shoes.

The last pair of shoes I bought for me son in Cripps cost around €60 but the sales assistant said he should have them for around 4-5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Thanks how strange, can I ask when you say independent shoe shops do you mean shops that sell a number of different ranges? sorry prob stupid question, will have to research to see if there shops in the area

Yes that's what I mean such as Cripps in Terenure or Grahams on Exchequer St

we tend to buy Clarks and they need about 2 pairs each a year,we found the smaller shoe shops not as good. It depends on your local shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I'd say avoid Clarks for shoes as they have a tendency to measure incorrectly or do half sizes so you'll be going back for a new pair within 6 weeks. Independent shoe shops are much better as they will stock more than one brand. They might be dearer than Clarks but they work out cheaper if the child is measured correctly and takes a few months to grow into the shoes.

The last pair of shoes I bought for me son in Cripps cost around €60 but the sales assistant said he should have them for around 4-5 months.

But if the child requires the half size in the shoe isn't it important that they wear the half size, too big surely wouldn't be beneficial especially to a new walker. I think be prepared on the shoes front, the best are expensive and their feet grow quickly aswell, i personally bought the Clarks shoes as first shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Moonbeam wrote: »
    we tend to buy Clarks and they need about 2 pairs each a year,we found the smaller shoe shops not as good. It depends on your local shop!

Same here. I'm going to get her fourth pair of shoes at the weekend - this is over about a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've often gotten bundles on Adverts. I've been very lucky, the clothes I got were gorgeous & well looked after.

Tescos clothes I don't find that cheap but they are definitely good. The range is F&F which is what Target in the states use as well, and it generally is good quality - so it's not a Tesco brand per se.

Advertisement