Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with mobile networks

Options
  • 27-10-2013 9:21pm

I'm having a hard time with the mobile networks as of late. I've been jumping between a few of them over the last few months and have found problems with them all:

Meteor:
    I'm having an ongoing problem where the 3G data session seems to drop when the phone is idle, meaning that I receive no push notifications, messages (except SMS of course) or e-mail. Meteor are blaming both of my phones and telling me to use Fetch e-mail as a workaround but this is unacceptable to me. I had this problem before and decided to give them another chance in case it was a bad port, but it happened again as soon as I returned. I've had my SIM replaced twice and set up my phone as a new device with no backup. Having the same problem with both an iPhone 4 and a 5S. Yesterday an in-store rep told me to contact Apple and get a written statement that it's not a phone issue. But I don't know if that would even be possible.

Vodafone:
    Flaky coverage in my apartment. I was with them before and had to use a Sure Signal to help things along. This, despite me living in Fairview. I tried a prepay SIM today and it hasn't improved, -109dBm on 3G in my living room and only GPRS on 2G, no EDGE. I was hoping that the LTE and UMTS 900 rollout might have helped me, but it hasn't as of yet.

Tesco:
    I was with them for a few months and for the most part they were alright. Coverage was good and data worked, albeit slowly. However I've lost confidence in them since the last long outage recently. It was the third time it happened since I joined them. The whole thing made me feel as if they have no real control over the network and I suppose the same would apply to any of the MVNOs.

I haven't tried O2 or 3. O2, it seems, are just ridiculously expensive with puny data allowances. If I join 3 I suspect I'll have 3G/2G switching problems as is often reported on here.

I suppose the reason I'm posting this is, what would you do in my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I might consider a change of phone tbh.

Try 3 if you have already tried the others.

Vodafone and meteor with 4g might be something to think about.

You might have been a bit unlucky with tesco, might be worth another chance.

Advertisement