Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic to merchants quay

• 27-10-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Looking at a job around the merchants quay area in limerick city. I would be coming from the Mountrath/Portlaoise side of the country and I know the road is surprisingly quick to limerick city, but, what is traffic like once you hit Castletroy and Dublin road heading to town. My plan would be to reach the outer city before 8. Would that keep me ahead of any major hold ups. Also, what's the traffic like at say 4.30 and 5.30 and 6 in the evenings?

I know a trial run is a great way of checking it out, but some advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

One of the issues I have with the motorway/bypass around Limerick is it doesn't serve the access to/from the city very well.

The exit that suits you best would probably be near Finnegans, Annacotty but I've no idea what the build up is along the "last mile" you will be passing near UL so that will probably add to your woes.

The two schools near Frank Hogans doesn't help your cause either, parents there think the road is their personal car park until it's their time to pull away :mad:

Anyone using the road from Annacotty/Castletroy might give you an account of their average travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

You'll have no problems if you hit outer city before 8, should be a clear run in. Generally in the evening it would take approx. half an hour to get from city to motorway, quicker if you can get going before 5

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    You'll have no problems if you hit outer city before 8, should be a clear run in. Generally in the evening it would take approx. half an hour to get from city to motorway, quicker if you can get going before 5

Getting to the motorway.

I'd chance, heading out Dublin Rd to Groody roundabout, over to Tipp Rd., up to motorway from there. Might be faster than queuing at Finnegans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

phog wrote: »
    Getting to the motorway.

I'd chance, heading out Dublin Rd to Groody roundabout, over to Tipp Rd., up to motorway from there. Might be faster than queuing at Finnegans.

First time I read that I thought it was silly, but now I look at the map I see I'd be on the motorway sooner by your suggestion.

Thanks for the replies folks, it's good to know the option might be a runner commute wise. Just the other 10 dilemmas to navigate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In fact I wouldn't turn right at Groody because there is always a back up at the roundabout by Conlans BMW to turn left onto the Tipperary road. I'd actually, knowing Limerick, head down Childers Road, turn left and head out Bloodmill road OR just go out Mulgrave Street and onto the Tipperary Road.

Coming in the traffic has pockets of tailbacks. By Finnegans because of the new traffic lights. By the Ulster Bank on the Dublin Road because the lights take an age to get through because the UL side and the Golf Links road side each have their own green light working seperately.

Parkway roundabout because of the Dublin road lights by the Maxol and people just being arseholes.

Clare Street/Dublin Road because parents stop wherever they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Beer Baron wrote: »
    In fact I wouldn't turn right at Groody because there is always a back up at the roundabout by Conlans BMW to turn left onto the Tipperary road. I'd actually, knowing Limerick, head down Childers Road, turn left and head out Bloodmill road OR just go out Mulgrave Street and onto the Tipperary Road.

Coming in the traffic has pockets of tailbacks. By Finnegans because of the new traffic lights. By the Ulster Bank on the Dublin Road because the lights take an age to get through because the UL side and the Golf Links road side each have their own green light working seperately.

Parkway roundabout because of the Dublin road lights by the Maxol and people just being arseholes.

Would those issues be major at 7.45 in the morning or is that hassle more of an 8.30 to 9 o'clock thing?

Beer Baron wrote: »

I'd go by Bloodmill Road too but I thought I wouldn't recomend it here, it's narrow in spots and a few lunatics use it at speed.

lfp wrote: »
    Would those issues be major at 7.45 in the morning or is that hassle more of an 8.30 to 9 o'clock thing?

I used to drop my daughter to UL for just after 8 and it wasn't too bad coming back in, I'd guess at 7.45 should be much easier. Anything after 8.20 and you're into national school times and there are two opposite each other on that road.

BTW, depending on where you want to park, you could turn right after the Grood Roaundabout and come in by Rhebouge and head for Grove Island, this is not an option for heading into the city as the Corbally road in must be the most congested road in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you own the car you are driving or simply just care about it then my advice is avoid the Bloodmill Road altogether. It's narrow, the side verges are overgrown, it's full of potholes and regularly used by muppets who see it as a rally track.

Advertisement