Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the hdd gone

Options
  • 27-10-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi folks

Been having problem with the PC on win 7 for a while crashing. Reinstalled win 7. Worked for a while and started crashing again. Now PC will start windows and goes into a check disc or repair. The attached pic is coming up on screen achi port is bad so assuming hdd is at fault.

I am not a PC guru advise welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

try boot to bios and changing ahci to ide mode to see if the drive will boot... if it does then backup your stuff asap then try wiping the existing partition then create a new partition and format it.

worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 yossor

Restarted made no changes and it's now gone into start up repair checking your system for problems ....

Trying to repair disk errors now and restarting will see what happens!

I have a recent back up of the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 24 yossor

Thanks Bog

Switched to IDE and now got ntldr missing . Did this happen you

SMART status bad. It means your HDD is dead/dying.

A bad SATA port on your mobo (or bad cable) could lead the drive to throw up errors and think that it is failing. Its a long shot, I suspect the drive is simply bad.

So switch the drive to another port and cable. Boot from bootable ISO with a HDD diagnostic tool and check the drive.

Here is the WD one
    http://support.wdc.com/download/dlg/Diag504cCD.iso

If the drive is bad you'll need to replace it and do a clean installation of Windows. You may still be able to get into your old drive then and save any important files. You could do this with a bootable Live OS also right now once you have somewhere to copy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Could be RAM too. Something similar happened me, check all your sticks individually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

yossor wrote: »
    Thanks Bog

Switched to IDE and now got ntldr missing . Did this happen you

yup

insert windows disk and do a repair install to fix the bootloader

Advertisement