Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing bottles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Once you have the bottles made up, with water that has been boiled and then left for 30 minutes, is it OK to then put hot bottles straight into the fridge to cool them?

I know the instructions say to cool in cold water first, but why can't you just cool them in the fridge, what's the difference ...? :confused:

• Administrators Posts: 14,081 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I always thought it was more to do with the temp of the bottle would heat up the fridge!
    Cooling in a sink of cold water is quicker, I find. Unless you're running out the door or something, then putting them in the fridge on the odd occassion might be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

we make a batch of 6 bottles at a time. We boil the kettle, add the water to the bottles, then let the water cool to 40 degrees (as instructed on the formula packet), then add the formula, give them a good shake and into the fridge.

We heat the bottle in the microwave when it is needed (the nurses in the hospital heated bottles the same way). Like another poster mentioned, my baby can go from 0 to hysterical in 10 seconds if he's hungry and there's no way I would have the time to add the formula and then wait for the bottle to cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

we make a batch of 6 bottles at a time. We boil the kettle, add the water to the bottles, then let the water cool to 40 degrees (as instructed on the formula packet), then add the formula, give them a good shake and into the fridge.

We heat the bottle in the microwave when it is needed (the nurses in the hospital heated bottles the same way). Like another poster mentioned, my baby can go from 0 to hysterical in 10 seconds if he's hungry and there's no way I would have the time to add the formula and then wait for the bottle to cool.

Do you mean 70 degrees?

That's what's usually on the pack, and that would be the temp required to sterilize the formula powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

No - just had another look and it definitely says 40 degrees on the pack. Also online http://www.nestlenutrition.se/infantnutrition/se/Material/Documents/nan1_se_eng.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ahhh, it's NAN 1. That's not your normal run of the mill formula, it's partly hydrolyzed etc. It must be already sterile?

The general rules are here, in the WHO guidelines. It's 70 in general.
    http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

Advertisement