Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glove Rec Please

Options
  • 27-10-2013 10:20pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Out on Tonegalee today and it was wet.
    Had a cheap pair of moutain bike full finger gloves with me but they got wet and very cold and uncomfortable. Also had a liner pair which I used after but it dried up and was ok.

But could have been caught out big time if the walk/weather was longer.

So, recs on good winter wet weather hiking gloves.
    dexterity is not important - as it's hard to combine both dexterity and cold/wet properties.

waterproof mtb gloves ?
    seal skinz ?

Thx

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

according to the guy below Marigolds ;-) . I was out camping over the weekend and I didn't wear any during the day (WW from Lough Dan to Marley) for now I just have a cheap wool pair for nights and I have a pair of Gill sailing gloves but havnt used them but I'd reckon they would be fine for any bad conditions. When it was raining I was using a poncho so my hands weren't getting wet.

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_gloves

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have to say my hands don't suffer too much from the cold, so I don't wear gloves that frequently, but when I do I wear a pair of what I believe are sometimes called 'shooter's mitts'. They're effectively fingerless gloves with a mitten and thumb that folds back and secures with velcro when not needed. That way I can fiddle around with map, compass and GPS using my fingers, and when I'm done, cover them back up again if needed. These are they ... http://www.lowealpine.com/convert-mitten-glove

Now when it comes to waterproof, I don't think there's anything that really fits into that category, apart from maybe Sealskinz, but again in my case, I don't bother. My mitts are fleece, and I just let them get wet, as I find that even when completely sodden, they still actually keep my hands warm, as if there's a kind of wetsuit effect going on.

I should also say I have a drawer full of various styles of glove I've tried over the years, but none of them really lived up to their expectations. The most 'waterproof', but most disappointing, are probably a pair of full-on Mountain equipment winter gloves, that are great when you can put them on when your hands are warm and dry, but defy all attempts at same when trying to put them on in a howling gale in a snow storm when you actually need them. Your wet hands just stick to the lining. And if you do actually manage to get them on, you can do bugger all with them on as it makes your hands the size of a gorilla's!

The only other pair I have that come close to being useful in my opinion are a pair of North Face Polartec soft-shell style gloves which again aren't waterproof by any means, but again still manage to keep my hands warm when wet, and are thin enough to allow some degree of finger movement. These are what I have http://www.thenorthface.ie/tnf-ie-en/powerstretch-gloves/p51646.html

Probably the best compromise I reckon would be a pair something like the above, plus a separate waterproof glove you could wear over the top when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Like above I have tried lots of different styles. I use a pair of seal skins when snowboarding as I need the dexterity for my bindings.

As for hiking, I tend to run hot; but when I need gloves I like using a thin pair of powerstretch gloves. They are not too warm or bulky, its very easy to use a compass etc with them on.
    When it gets wet the best I have ever seen is a simple pair of Gore-tex over-mitts. Probably the best well known being the Tuff Bags from Terra Nova. They work great and are very easy to put on and take off.(I always have a spare pair of warm gloves in the bag though for those unforeseen circumstances.)

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/clothing-accessories/all-gloves-mitts/tuff-bags/
    http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/gloves/-powerstretch-grip-glove.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

thanks folks - appreciate that info.
    Will try a pair of those Rab Power stretch gloves and some pair of waterproof mittens.

As above - some gloves are ok - even when slightly wet - but don't attempt to remove and put back on - damp/wet hands into gloves does not mix well.

Will try my chossen mix out and report back for future/fellow queries.

thanks

K

karltimber wrote: »
    As above - some gloves are ok - even when slightly wet - but don't attempt to remove and put back on - damp/wet hands into gloves does not mix well.
    Agreed. That's kind of the advantage of the mitts I have, i.e. you don't have to take them off in order to do anything fiddly, so can keep them on all day.

• Advertisement

I just have cheap Dare2B and Quiksilver gloves from TK Maxx that were in the €10-20 range. They both hold out enough water to stand most daytrips, unless its pouring down or hands are in constant contact with snow. Not sure you'll ever get the perfect glove, waterproof, warm and allowing enough movement, the only rule I have is to always bring both pairs when the weather gets cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I would actually second what Alun says re the Mountain Equipment gloves. I have tried various over the years but the ME guides are the best I have used and they have taken some real crap and still performed (like all ME gear to be honest). Would also agree that they are a glove that is not easily removed when wet or put onto a wet hand but that does not bother me too much; I just put them on in advance of the weather and find they stay warm even if they do let some moisture in after time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I found Sealskinz rubbish. Cold (even with liner), cold when wet and soak through.

Currently I'm using Lowe Alpine powerstretch gloves which seem to remain warm even when wet, and they're light enough that I can bring two or three pairs if needed. For very cold days, I'll bring a pair of Goretex mittens and wear them over the top of the Lowes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Neoprene gloves can be good for wet conditions (think wet suit).

I have a pair I got in Lidl/Aldi as fishing(/shooting?) gloves with a hole in the underside of each first finger and thumb section to pop the digits out, with velcro to hold the bits out of the way.

Winter (real winter) and wet gloves are somewhat different scenarios though...

Back in the day, Dachstein mitts were the bees knees for winter mountaineering/climbing. Just remember to fit them out with wrist loops, as you do not want to drop one (or worse, both) of them. I always carried a spare pair (also with loops) as well. In extremis you could make do with a sock...

For those of you not familiar with Dachstein mitts (what's this google thingy anyway? Harrumph!....) they were/are made by making a huge wool mitten then boiling it down so it shrinks substantially so that it resembles thick felt. At a push, it was no problem to wear them wrong-handed.

First result from the google thingy explains a bit more.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Esel wrote: »
    Back in the day, Dachstein mitts were the bees knees for winter mountaineering/climbing. Just remember to fit them out with wrist loops, as you do not want to drop one (or worse, both) of them. I always carried a spare pair (also with loops) as well. In extremis you could make do with a sock...

For those of you not familiar with Dachstein mitts (what's this google thingy anyway? Harrumph!....) they were/are made by making a huge wool mitten then boiling it down so it shrinks substantially so that it resembles thick felt. At a push, it was no problem to wear them wrong-handed.

First result from the google thingy explains a bit more.

off topic but my wife made me a pair of foot warmers using the same principle. I'll be camping over the winter so will be bringing them along for the nights. comfortable and warm.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd often have a need for dexterity, to take notes & push buttons etc. So tend to wear a thin pair of 'thermal' gloves so it's still easy to write etc. If wind/ rain picks up, I'd stick on a pair of thick woolly fingerless mitts over them - protects the main body of your hands and keeps the tendons etc working. Usually that does the trick but if conditions are worse, I'd replace those with a pair of thicker more windproof gloves with a thinsulate type lining. I'd find that in Irish conditions, it doesn't matter if your hands get a bit damp as long as the worst of the wind is kept off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

hmmm wrote: »
    I found Sealskinz rubbish. Cold (even with liner), cold when wet and soak through.

Currently I'm using Lowe Alpine powerstretch gloves which seem to remain warm even when wet, and they're light enough that I can bring two or three pairs if needed. For very cold days, I'll bring a pair of Goretex mittens and wear them over the top of the Lowes.

Second that on the sealskinz, that rubberised midlle layer means the gloves make my hands actively colder once on. Useless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Update:

So, went with a pair of Alun's recs - Lowe Alpine mitten.
    http://www.lowealpine.com/convert-mitten-glove

Great job indeed. Keep the hands warm on windy days and you have easy acess to fingers for phone,jacket or laces etc with no need to remove the glove.

As far as waterproof. I got a pair of these
    They are gore-tex so fully waterproof and my medium mittens fit into these medium army gloves perfectly. Large would be too big.

One note - I had to remove the velcro tabs off the Lowe-A mittens ( which aren't really needed) as they were really hampering the putting on and taking off, of the army gloves.

great all round combination.

Thx for all info.

K

Glad you got sorted, those Lowe Alpine convertible mitts are great. Most of the time I just wear them with the fingers exposed and only cover them up if it gets really cold.

Advertisement