Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike

• 27-10-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi so my last bike was stolen and i have given up on it now so looking to invest in a new bike and i have had my eye on the Giant Escape 0 and 1.

I like them for there lightweight frames and C.F fork. is there another bike of this high standard out there that i should look at ?

Its for zipping about the city and long to medium distance day drips so a hybrid is what I have in mind.

Cheers

G.C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Genghiscol wrote: »
    Hi so my last bike was stolen and i have given up on it now so looking to invest in a new bike and i have had my eye on the Giant Escape 0 and 1.

I like them for there lightweight frames and C.F fork. is there another bike of this high standard out there that i should look at ?

Its for zipping about the city and long to medium distance day drips so a hybrid is what I have in mind.

Cheers

G.C
    Forget about a hybrid, get a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Genghiscol

But why and what models should I look into ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If you intend to do long to medium day trips on it then definitely a road bike. Most people will get uncomfortable doing long trips on a hybrid as there is only one hand position. So you can't move your hands to relieve them or your shoulders. I don't like doing more than 30k on my hybrid but can happily do 100 on the road bike.

Road bike positioning is also more aerodynamic and thus faster. I do slightly prefer the more upright hybrid position for city centre traffic though but find either fine.

You can get bar ends for a hybrid to give you a 2nd position but you can't reach the brakes or gears from them so they're limited value imo. Road bike. you can use them from two positions and have 3 more positions where you can't reach them.

I can't recommend any particular bike but there's lots of threads here doing so. There's a Giant road bike equivalent to the one you're interested in so why not check that out? Canyon are online only but amazing value and get good reviews - can be used with bike to work scheme. Cheap tour de France model from halfords to dip your toes, etc etc.

Advertisement