Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best case for iPhone 5s?

• 27-10-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

As per title, looking for good protection for iPhone 5s. As it's my first one, I want to look after it!
    Is the Otterbox the best option? Don't really want anything too bulky, so am looking at the "Commuter" series. Are there any other cases I could look at? Preferably something colourful :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Personally not a fan of cases as they ruin nice apple designs but I appreciate what they do.

I would not spend crazy money on them like Otterbox and just buy one off E-bay.
    A €5 case there will do just as good a job and come in a wide selection.

Have a look here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

I use the commuter - excellent case. The phone is worth a lot so get a good case for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

ive had an iphone for 3 years, i have worked in some of the dirtiest holes u could imagine and all i use is a screen protector and just a normal rubber case with a hardback. i find if you just clean the dust out of the case every week or 2 it does the job. also have dropped it in these cases plenty of times. not hard falls i must add. i gave my iphone 4 to my bro after having it for 2 years and it was in very good nick.

no need for a big case like the Otterbox i find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've. Cygnett Urban Shield cover on my iPhone 4. I plan on getting the same one for the 5s I intend getting within the next few weeks. They're tough but very neat and well made and look brilliant on the phone. The aluminium backing is fairly scratch resistant (within reason) and looks the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

jamesd wrote: »
    I use the commuter - excellent case. The phone is worth a lot so get a good case for it.

+1
    For commuter case it's had a few small falls and no worries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

murpho999 wrote: »

I would not spend crazy money on them like Otterbox and just buy one off E-bay.
    A €5 case there will do just as good a job].

Phone costs a minimum of 700, don't think I'll place it in the cheapest cover I can find

rodento wrote: »
    Phone costs a minimum of 700, don't think I'll place it in the cheapest cover I can find

Why not?

It's expensive because of technology packed inside.

Why do you need a case? Mainly to protect a delicate sceen from breakage.

A cheap case can do that job just as any of those overpriced ones.

My wife got this for her iPhone 5 last year and both the case and phone are in perfect condition.

"Fools and their money" spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

More a question of weather or not you consider 35 euro's a lot of money to protect a phone

Anyone got recommendations for screen protectors? I have a cheap one on it at the moment to protect it until I find something better (has lots of air bubbles :(). I've used an Invisible Shield on my iPod Touch before but didn't like it; hassle to put it on and don't like how it feels when it's on, too thick and tacky.

Ideally something thin, scratch resistant and easy to apply without air bubbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MF045ZM/A/iphone-5s-case-black?fnode=47

leather and micro suede on the inside to stop lint collecting in the cracks where the phone meets case.

• Advertisement

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MF045ZM/A/iphone-5s-case-black?fnode=47

leather and micro suede on the inside to stop lint collecting in the cracks where the phone meets case.

Read some of the reviews there.

Cases get dirty and openings not wide enough to fit Apple adaptors.

Really don't see why people assume that Apple would have the best ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »
    Read some of the reviews there.

Cases get dirty and openings not wide enough to fit Apple adaptors.

Really don't see why people assume that Apple would have the best ones.
    never had any of those problems, have the red leather on my iPhone 5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattgemmell/10099191316/

holes look plenty big there.

the apple one for me is the perfect choice, it's slim, it's beautifully crafted and looks gorgeous.

otterboxes are the exact opposite. they wrap the phone in cotton wool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

I use a Moshi screen protector on my 5 - no bubbles and can be reused and washed.

I use the Zagg ultimate shield or whatever it's called. Very good. Very strong also. Had one on my iPhone 4 for over a year took it off and perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

SPIGEN iPhone 5S Case Bumper [Ultra Hybrid] [Black] Slim Fit Shock Absorption Protective Bumper with CLEAR Back Panel for iPhone 5 - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Black
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E5YQ0TC

Recommend the Spigen for only 8.50 sterling (plus parcel motel)
    Quality feel to it and screen protector went on surprisingly well (for me anyhow) with no bubbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LeaveitOff

I got the Commuter series case also, it's a perfect job and comes with a good screen protector aswell. I chose to invest in a decent case over paying monthly insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Lad that sets beside me at work got one of this cover. http://www.tech21.uk.com/Product/impact_snap_iphone_5_5s_white Might get one myself when I get the iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Elago slim fit 2 covers are fantastic. Extremely slim but very well built and with a minimalist design. Bought the elago outfit and slim fit 2 as gifts for people and they love them and highly recommend.

Lad that sets beside me at work got one of this cover. http://www.tech21.uk.com/Product/impact_snap_iphone_5_5s_white Might get one myself when I get the iPhone.

They are good but I had one and after a few weeks of use, and taking it off and putting it back on a few times it had cracked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If you're worried about breaking the phone just buy Applecare+. That way you don't have to put a manky cover on it, and if it breaks you're only out 69 blips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I got a beautiful leather case on eBay last week. Gorgeous leather.Though it was 10 quid cheaper then. Still lovely. Good eBayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Try spigen.com. One of the best quality cases u will buy. Comes with front and rear screen protectors.
    Just ordered the bumper one off them for my 5s.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Try spigen.com. One of the best quality cases u will buy. Comes with front and rear screen protectors.
    Just ordered the bumper one off them for my 5s.

2nd that - available on Amazon for only £8.50

keith_d99 wrote: »
    2nd that - available on Amazon for only £8.50
    Watch out for fakes there that price. Real spigen covers are €25.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Watch out for fakes there that price. Real spigen covers are €25.

Checked on a UK forum before I purchased .. the seller is an official distributer in the UK

Received it (via Parcel Motel) in official packaging etc. - works a treat.

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'd never use a case, Always amazes me when everyone goes on about style and cool and build quality and ooh i love the look and then stick it in a case??? (But I Want To Sell It) Anyway..

That's what you want.

http://www.zoogue.com/iphone-5s-5-social-pro-cases/

Cheap, Good Material, Good Grip, And No Bulk

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I'd never use a case, Always amazes me when everyone goes on about style and cool and build quality and ooh i love the look and then stick it in a case??? (But I Want To Sell It) Anyway..

That's what you want.

http://www.zoogue.com/iphone-5s-5-social-pro-cases/

Cheap, Good Material, Good Grip, And No Bulk

Have you not seen the posts above. You can't put a cheap cover on an expensive phone.

Would be like putting cheap laces into a pair of Nike's!

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Checked on a UK forum before I purchased .. the seller is an official distributer in the UK

Received it (via Parcel Motel) in official packaging etc. - works a treat.

link

Iv seen fAkes they look very good. U won't buy a genuine spigen cAse for that price.
    Have u a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Bought the Apple iPhone 5s case black leather really nice case wasn't exepecting it to be so rigid. It's a little hard to take off but otherwise I'm really happy with it, quality case and adds very little bulk to the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I'd never use a case, Always amazes me when everyone goes on about style and cool and build quality and ooh i love the look and then stick it in a case???

All cases don't hide the beauty of the iPhone. Mine shows it in all it's glory.

Advertisement