Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City compare prices

Options
  • 27-10-2013 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Right simple question to compare the cost of living in cities.

What is the best deal you can get on a product in your local shop.

Example
    In 2008 i could pick up two slabs of Carlton draught or similar for 60 bucks. On special of course. Now a special is 80 bucks for the same product.

I used to get 2 loaves of abbots village bread for 5 bucks then as well. Now it's 7 bucks on special.

Now all that is in Melbourne how do other states fare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Are you the Meerkat ?

Yes everything is more expensive than 5 years ago.
    Inflation, mostly.

Also a little to do with Petrol Prices

For Brisbane

2008 March n.a. 131
    June n.a. 143
    September n.a. 147
    December n.a. 118
    2009 March n.a. 110
    June n.a. 113
    September n.a. 125
    December n.a. 122
    2010 March n.a. 127
    June n.a. 130
    September n.a. 125
    December n.a. 128
    2011 March n.a. 139
    June n.a. 144

Currently around the 148 mark.

(Averaged over the 2008 quarterly prices) This is an increase of : 9.8% over 5 years.

Price increases are quite similar across the board.
    As long as we are dependent on oil for our food, this trend will continue, and may even accelerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Petrol currently 1.36-1.39 per litre in Melbourne which is the lowest we've had in a while. Last few months have been jumping between 1.40-1.60. Went below 1.40 last week for the first time in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't think we've had over the mid-1.50s petrol wise in Perth.

I remember when it was $1 or a litre a few years ago, good times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Don't think we've had over the mid-1.50s petrol wise in Perth.

I remember when it was $1 or a litre a few years ago, good times :o

It was 1.58 when I was there about 6 weeks ago - that was around Leederville direction. It was €1.60 when I was in Ireland last xmas - madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I filled up for 1.39 yesterday

I am really looking for price comparisons state to state.

As in does a slab of local beer cost about 38-40 in every state at its best?

(To explain the price of a slab of lets say VB can be as high as 45 dollars one week and 38 the next).

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    I filled up for 1.39 yesterday

I am really looking for price comparisons state to state.

As in does a slab of local beer cost about 38-40 in every state at its best?

(To explain the price of a slab of lets say VB can be as high as 45 dollars one week and 38 the next).

The Sail and Anchor crowd in Fremantle do a $36.99 carton of draught and it's not bad. Their Castaway cider is very nice too and is $38.99 in Dan Murphy's. I've gotten both for $35 on special at various times and that's the absolute best price I've paid for a 24 pack of full strength.

Petrol today at my local Shell is 142.9 (a reasonable 134.9 with a Coles voucher).

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Currently paying $44 a week for a MyMulti Zone 1 here in Sydney. This covers all Trains, Buses & Ferries within a certain zone.

Interested to know what the Myki comes to in Melbourne or the relevant all-singing/all dancing-ticket in other states.

However, when I first came over (in 2009) this ticket was $36. Sydney inflation at it's finest.

The Perth SmartRider (bus, train, ferry) goes up every year by a few cents per journey. I live in in Zone 3 which is just under 30kms, or a 25 minute train journey, from Perth CBD. You get a 25% reduction if you add value via direct debit which is very handy.

I top up fortnightly and it costs me just under $80 to get in and out of work Monday to Friday for that two week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Myki 7 day Zone 1 pass is $35

Back in 08/09 it was $27.90

And it's $6 one off charge for the card

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Currently paying $2.95 for 5 packets of Mi Goreng noodles in Coles here in Melbourne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Rents have definitely dropped in perth with the mining slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

catbear wrote: »
    Rents have definitely dropped in perth with the mining slowdown.

Hopefully the price of property will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's not necessarily a mining slow down. Rents dropping are mainly due to the establishment of workers camps being built and completed. Gladstone used to have rents of up to $900-1400 per week for a 3-4 bedroom house. Now all the workers camps have been completed rents have dropped to $300-400 a week for the same properties.

When you think some of these camps hold 2000 men, on a rotating shift pattern so could be housing up to 4000 men on rotation, it pulls a lot of demand from the local rental sector.

Workers camps aren't cheap for mining companies though. Approx $180-$200 per night per person. The advantage is everyone is at the same location, easier to know where people are etc... Everything is provided in that price though...food, laundry cleaning, maintnance etc...

Advertisement