Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media player beginner

• 28-10-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just moved to a rented house and they have a huge samsung tele hd mounted to the wall with limited ports. Ie one hdmi, pc, scartx 2.
    Problem is the tv needs a digital tuner deprecate to get the digital channels. We are based in Louth so get most of uk stuff. Previously had just a hard drive with torrent downloads attached to smart tv directly which could play all files directly. This set up won't work with this tele . Can you tell me ever media player I can get that will download tv series and let me play directly to tv? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If you had the money i would say replace the tv with one of the newer models with the saorview capabilities. The newer tvs like the one you had before can play media files off any hard drive through their usb ports too... any of the new samsung tvs have this capability.

If you have not got the funds to totally replace the tv, you could buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player/dp/B0073DN8HE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382918949&sr=8-2&keywords=sumvision+micro

The sumvision micro 3 is a tiny box that you plug your hard drive into and it connects to your tv via HDMI. the sumvision comes with a small remote to navigate the folders and select your movies/tv shows to play on your tv.

It handles any files you can throw at it... avi/mkv/mp4 etc.

I would recommend it as a few people i know have it and it works great for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

thanks for the info that looks like the right job allright! But unfortunately the tv only has one hdmi port and at present the digital tuner reciever is plugged into it. there is also a scart connection on the tv I could use for that but then you loose any hd quality on the tv stations for the sake of the media player being connected. Is there any hd digital terrestial recievers that have the ability to have a 1 tb harddrive connected to it and play all media files? Bit much to be asking I reckon.
    I may have to play around with the option you gave and have scart connection on digital tv!

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

I also love the idea of a media player that can down load torrents and have them all ready for playin! Our interweb is pretty attrocious in the country side as only max 4 mb on the line and reality of 2mb download speed compared to 200md download speed we used to have in the city! They say country life is slower and quieter!!! Did not think it would be this slow!!! aaarrrgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Try 1mb here! And sometimes not even that!

That sumvision can connect to your tv via composite too... Yellow, red, white cables so you could have your saorview box connected via hdmi and media player connected via composite cables.

There are saorview boxes that will play medis files from its usb connection, but they are hit and miss and wont play all types of files.

Leave the torrents to your pc or laptop... Its easier.

Advertisement