Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overly demanding tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

djimi wrote: »
    And in all of those (the ones that count at least; antisocial behaviour and destroying post especially are not going to come into play) the OP must be able to back up their claim. The cabinets would be the easiest one to use, and possibly the only one that could be backed up, assuming the OP has taken a full inventory, preferably with pictures, of the property prior to the tenant moving in.

Im not saying that the OP shouldnt look to terminate the lease, of course she should, not am I saying that she has no valid reason; Im simply saying that she needs to make sure that she gives watertight notice and can back up the case if/when needed to do so, because an eviction of this nature could be a potential minefield if not handled properly. There seems to be a lot of people saying get rid of her, issue termination notice etc; its not as straightforward as that where a fixed term lease is in place, and the OP much play it properly and carefully.

The OP didnt take pictures this time around apparently she did before the previous tenants moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Can I ask OP , in a previous post you talked about a potential tenant having their landlord giving a reference before the viewing, was this the same person?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86992473

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

And i am only being nosy asking , good luck on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

OP, hope "The Talk" is going OK, and that nutty tenant is retaining some semblance of normality for the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Any updates for us? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any updates for us? :)

Its not a soap opera........

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

I know, 'tis a terrible situation to be in.
    I'd just like to know if the tenant agreed to move out peacefully/easily or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

I have been following this thread and am wondering what's the latest? Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

The reason I am interested is that I know a landlord who is experiencing the tenant from hell. Its beyond belief what this guy is demanding... my friend, the landlord, had to re paint all the walls as the bright colours gave the tenant a headache. Then the curtains all had to be changed to match. The latest I have heard is that my friend has to drive 20 miles each way every second wednesday to put out the bin as the tenant " doesnt do bins". You know most of the time its the landlords who are the problem but it can on occassion be the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The reason I am interested is that I know a landlord who is experiencing the tenant from hell. Its beyond belief what this guy is demanding... my friend, the landlord, had to re paint all the walls as the bright colours gave the tenant a headache. Then the curtains all had to be changed to match. The latest I have heard is that my friend has to drive 20 miles each way every second wednesday to put out the bin as the tenant " doesnt do bins". You know most of the time its the landlords who are the problem but it can on occassion be the tenants.
    If true then you're friend is soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If your friend is actually bowing to these demands then the landlord is most definitely the problem in this case! Taking out the bins for the tenant? To be honest, Im close to calling this a wind up; surely nobody would be that stupid as to agree to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Well isn't your friend some gob****e for one gob****e all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I don't do rent...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Well she's gone, but she didn't do it quietly. First begged, then kicked and screamed then begged again. Told her enough was enough.

Went around to collect keys and most of the stuff is gone from the house however, I have her deposit. Locks are changed and good riddance to a nut job!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

username_x wrote: »
    Well she's gone, but she didn't do it quietly. First begged, then kicked and screamed then begged again. Told her enough was enough.

Went around to collect keys and most of the stuff is gone from the house however, I have her deposit. Locks are changed and good riddance to a nut job!

What did she take?

Well done OP, glad you got rid of her in the end. An expensive lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I know your glad she's gone but seriously if she has taken stuff belonging to you then call the guards and report it as theft. (assume you had a signed inventory as part of the lease if not you should have !! )

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If your stuff is gone, goto the Gardai about her theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

How exactly did you get rid of her?

the_syco wrote: »
    If your stuff is gone, goto the Gardai about her theft.

I know it seems like the right thing to do but it would be a waste of time. The OP should put it behind her and move on. She's had enough stress and hassle for the last couple of months, bringing the guards into it will only cause more stress. She also shouldn't bring this woman back on herself. She's gone. She should leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

emeldc wrote: »
    I know it seems like the right thing to do but it would be a waste of time. The OP should put it behind her and move on. She's had enough stress and hassle for the last couple of months, bringing the guards into it will only cause more stress. She also shouldn't bring this woman back on herself. She's gone. She should leave it at that.

Reporting deliberate theft isn't really a waste of time.

This is completely the wrong attitude. Ah sure I got rid of her who cares is she took my TV, microwave etc etc etc.

If the toerag robbed stuff in revenge then you don't roll over and take it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

And leave the tenant to perpetrate the same thing on her new landlord? The "it's someone elses problem now" mentality is what landed the OP in this mess in the first place from the nutjob's previous landlord.

Reporting deliberate theft isn't really a waste of time.

I didn't mean reporting it would be a waste of time, but the outcome would be.
    D3PO wrote: »
    This is completely the wrong attitude. Ah sure I got rid of her who cares is she took my TV, microwave etc etc etc.

If the toerag robbed stuff in revenge then you don't roll over and take it regardless.

She has her house back, that's the main thing. This nutcase could still go to the PRTB and make all sorts of accusations. She's gone, let her go, I have the T-shirt.

I know your glad she's gone but seriously if she has taken stuff belonging to you then call the guards and report it as theft. (assume you had a signed inventory as part of the lease if not you should have !! )

Would this not need to go through the PRTB? I know it is theft, but ultimtely it is a matter arising from a tenancy, for which the OP has a deposit to be used to cover the loss, and if they wish to pursue the tenant further would they not need a ruling from the PRTB first in order to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

This all depends on what's been taken. Maybe the OP could clarify. If it is a TV, computer, home cinema system etc, then that is obviuosly a matter for the Gardai.

If it is a kettle, a microwave and a duvet, then its obviously time to walk away. I assume it is the latter, otherwise the OP would be a little more stressed!

djimi wrote: »
    Would this not need to go through the PRTB? I know it is theft, but ultimtely it is a matter arising from a tenancy, for which the OP has a deposit to be used to cover the loss, and if they wish to pursue the tenant further would they not need a ruling from the PRTB first in order to do so?

Theft is theft the fact it is a tenancy has no bearing on it.

That's like saying that theft from a workplace should go before the LRC and not the gardai ...

This all depends on what's been taken. Maybe the OP could clarify. If it is a TV, computer, home cinema system etc, then that is obviuosly a matter for the Gardai.

If it is a kettle, a microwave and a duvet, then its obviously time to walk away. I assume it is the latter, otherwise the OP would be a little more stressed!

Well obviously common sense is needed. If a duvet was taken for example yeah don't waste your time its pointless. But if it were something or things more substantial then no way let it go.

She has her house back, that's the main thing. This nutcase could still go to the PRTB and make all sorts of accusations. She's gone, let her go, I have the T-shirt.

Just because you rolled over in similar circumstances previously doesn't make it good advice.

Let her go to the PRTB with accusations if she wishes she has to substantiate them so its a non issue.

• Advertisement

Theft is theft the fact it is a tenancy has no bearing on it.

That's like saying that theft from a workplace should go before the LRC and not the gardai ...

If it wasnt theft, if it was something like the tenant had knocked in an internal wall without permission for example, would the landlord be able to pursue for criminal damage, or would they have to pursue through the PRTB? I suspect the latter, but I may be wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement