Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore - great place altogether, I love it for sure. <3 Oran!!

Options
  • 28-10-2013 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Oranmore anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Love it.

Hi Rubygirl, u renting or bought property there ? Apartment of house ??
    Considering this area also , thus the interest .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Living here, find it grand not sure about school's as we went to Athenry. Depends are u moving as couple, single family. Bus service is good, new train station. Night life is ok, disco there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Good commuter location. Good side of city if you need to travel alot. Plenty of business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭valknut

25 year veteran, great place to live imo. As others have said it's a great location from town from a drivers perspective and has great bus services to and from town regularly all day. There is a local industrial estate with a variety of business.

Schools include a boys and girls schools plus an Irish speaking school in the village. Secondary school was rebuilt a few years ago is a very modern school with great facilities.

Supervalu and tesco plus loads of coffee shops restaurants and decent pubs a cinema are all nearby. Reinville park and the golf club are a drive up the road from the village and there are hotels with leisure clubs as well.

Some locals think it's lost it's village charm but I think it's a brilliant place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work in Oranmore but no way would I live there, way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oran rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

we've been here two years and love it. Neither of us work here, its a mid way point. Very friendly, good athmosphere and still very close to the city. It is expensive which is the only downside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

valknut wrote: »
    Some locals think it's lost it's village charm but I think it's a brilliant place to live.

Darn tootin'! Damn blow-ins mucking up our parochial sense of community. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

the o-side. a great place to live and grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

the o-side. a great place to live and grow up!

Reminds me of this:

nn79.jpg

Myself and a mate, representing the O-Side in Berlin in '08. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Had to move to Galway a couple of years ago for work. Decided on Oranmore as my place to live. Was there 10 months, loved every minute of it. Back in Dublin now and miss Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

I went to college in Galway and when I moved to Oranmore thought I would be in the city a few times a week - but there's so much choice around Oranmore that I rarely go into the city at all.

Lots of shops:
    - Super Valu
    - Tesco
    - Lidl
    - Hardware / General Store
    - a couple of boutiques (one in Oran town centre and another on Castle road)
    - hairdressers & barbers

Great choice in restaurants:
    - The Boathouse
    - Pearla na Mara
    - Basilico
    - Santoor Indian
    - Asian Fusion

Plenty of pubs:
    - the Thatch
    - The Brewery (one of the cheapest pints in Ireland apparently!)
    - Keanes
    - Coach House
    - O'Riordans

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Anyone know the last time a bus leaves from town to Oranmore at the weekend?

Am I right in thinking it is about €20 in a taxi from town?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

verywell wrote: »

Bus from outside TK Maxx every hour on the half hour - last one at 02:30.

€15 from town to Oranmore with Orancabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Thanks very much x

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

14.50 with procabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

That cinema got a lot better ever since IMC bought it too, they actually turn the heating on and do the €10 wed deal for ticket drink and popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

yer man! wrote: »
    That cinema got a lot better ever since IMC bought it too, they actually turn the heating on and do the €10 wed deal for ticket drink and popcorn.

That's interesting actually, because it was a total farce before. I don't live in Oranmore anymore, but when we did, we used to go into town to the Eye, and the odd time I'd go to the cinema with my parents, we still drive from Oranmore to the Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭basillarkin

verywell wrote: »

Ya it's about €20 in a taxi alright.

Bus timetable below.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360756796-410_Eyre-Square-Oranmore.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Oranmore has nearly everything you need without having to leave, even if Galway is only a stone's throw. Lived there for 3 or 4 months a few years ago and only I moved for work I would have stayed there much longer. True, its expensive for a small town, but I found it a lovely place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Overpriced Rent... Lots of scummers in the town.... knacks from limerick often pass through robbing.. Hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

houbie wrote: »
    Overpriced Rent... Lots of scummers in the town.... knacks from limerick often pass through robbing.. Hole

I live in Oranmore and never heard about any of this.... I think it's a very nice place to live and very accessible for when you want to go to Dublin or Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rent prices are nuts in Oranmore, still I suppose when ya get people who are still prepared to pay it it's hard to blame the landlords.

The people there must have well paid jobs, no way could I afford it.

As regards the cinema I can't understand it that they can't show the same amount of films as do be shown in the cinema on the Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

houbie, you are of course entitled to your opinion of Oran but using terminology like "knacks" is not on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Great village, lots of friendly people too.
    Rarely go to Galway city as plenty of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

full a knacks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

houbie, don't ignore mod instruction.

One more breach of the rules will result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

houbie wrote: »
    full a knacks

something bad must have happened to houbie out in oranmore?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

john locke wrote: »
    something bad must have happened to houbie out in oranmore?!

Ah, he is fairly new here. He will get the knack of things soon:D

Advertisement