Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not just about the pool! 3km run TT 2013-2014

Options
  • 28-10-2013 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Seeing as the 400m swim thread is so popular, just wondering would there be any interest in doing a monthly run TT? I thought 3km might be a good distance but open to any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

5km easier to track? people can use park run and 5km races around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 krowan008

5k is best!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Yeah cool, 5km is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Would have to say a 3k tt is best for judging current fitness.
    As it is as close as you can get to Vo2. And is easy to calculate training paces from.
    It is also easier to recover from a 3k and dosent impinge on other training.

I take the point that some could do the 5k park runs. But that is only if you live near them. 5k road races are very few and far between this time of year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

3k for me too, what ceepo said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Agree on the 3k, nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Id go with 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yep go with the 3k, a 2mile TT is a staple of testing, here's why http://www.examiner.com/article/speed-workout-two-mile-time-trial

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Yes agree 3km, not near a park run. TT on own would be a better indication of fitness level. Easier to recover from too.

So who is good at tables?

Would doing this as a Google spreadsheet make more sense?

• Advertisement

So who is good at tables?

Would doing this as a Google spreadsheet make more sense?

Yeah....I'm just an ideas man/woman:) not the best with the techy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

Using the McMillan calculator, people could run any distance that suits their training and uses an 3km equivalent time for the table. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Name|Surface|Nov '13|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|Jun|July'14
    littlemsfickle|Road|19:59|||||||

No need to reinvented the wheel :). Can amend as necessary. So, do we need a bike one too?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

No need to reinvented the wheel :). Can amend as necessary. So, do we need a bike one too?!

Is the bike one not essentially the FTP thread that was knocking around last year?

Fyi

3k is = to 100% of vo2
    97% is = to 5k pace
    93% is = to 10k pace
    89% is = to hmp
    85 % is = to Mar

It should be stressed that this is in a well trained athlete and used as a guide only

BTH wrote: »
    Is the bike one not essentially the FTP thread that was knocking around last year?
    Ah yes, forgot about that. My turbo hasn't seen light this year :rolleyes:

Fyi

3k is = to 100% of vo2
    97% is = to 5k pace
    93% is = to 10k pace
    89% is = to hmp
    85 % is = to Mar

It should be stressed that this is in a well trained athlete and used as a guide only

Name|Surface|Nov '13|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|Jun|July'14
    littlemsfickle|Road|19:59|||||||

Thanks for putting the table together....but if that's an estimated 3km time I'm a little offended:mad:

Thanks for putting the table together....but if that's an estimated 3km time I'm a little offended:mad:
    Of course not. Sure I've stalked you enough to know you are one of our speedy hoochies ;). Just needed to put some format in for people to follow. I know your 3km will put blushes on most of the boys :)

Of course not. Sure I've stalked you enough to know you are one of our speedy hoochies ;). Just needed to put some format in for people to follow. I know your 3km will put blushes on most of the boys :)

It's on like Donkey Kong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would not think 3 kk is best for judging current fitness . what a 3 k tt tells you is more about potential what you can run with some training in the future for longer distances or so to speak more a speed indicator and future predictor rather than judging current fitness
    unless you are running only for 1 or 3 month as in AKW s article

Ceepo wrote: »
    Would have to say a 3k tt is best for judging current fitness.
    As it is as close as you can get to Vo2. And is easy to calculate training paces from.
    It is also easier to recover from a 3k and dosent impinge on other training.

I take the point that some could do the 5k park runs. But that is only if you live near them. 5k road races are very few and far between this time of year as well.

peter kern wrote: »
    I would not think 3 kk is best for judging current fitness . what a 3 k tt tells you is more about potential what you can run with some training in the future for longer distances or so to speak more a speed indicator and future predictor rather than judging current fitness

Agree and disagree.

I never said it was the best. Just better than 5k. That's wad the debate. For some reasons below

It's good for gauging aerobic power. Calculating training paces.
    Predicting potential times.
    Can be done ad part of regular training without impinging on training.
    Is a guide to measurable improvement.

Agree and disagree.

I never said it was the best. Just better than 5k. For some reasons below

Its just a measure in the same way a bike FTP or swim 400m TT can be an indicator of improvement over a training block.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

3km TTs are a good KPI for potential youth talent identification.

Are they relevant for benchmarking adult trained amateur triathletes? I don't think so.

30 minute TTs are my preference.

But the elephant in the room is in the absence of a metric that is independent of course no one has discussed course and condition normalisation. Unless of course the purpose of the thread is the proverbial reach around.

tunney wrote: »
    3km TTs are a good KPI for potential youth talent identification.

Are they relevant for benchmarking adult trained amateur triathletes? I don't think so.

30 minute TTs are my preference.

But the elephant in the room is in the absence of a metric that is independent of course no one has discussed course and condition normalisation. Unless of course the purpose of the thread is the proverbial reach around.

....go out and run 3km. Time it. Preferably with a watch but if a sand timer is all you can get your hands on, don't sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Sorry just to claryfy this as I dodnt want to split hairs. I was just pointing out that your argument is not entirley correct ( you said it was the better fitness indicator than a 5k tt and this is wrong. the longer a tt is the better the fitness indicator is )
    as i said 3k tt its a good indicator of speed and talent and where an athlete could be in 2 years time over longer distances.

you also said its better for prediting race times
    you are right if you want to predict 4k performace and bellow. for anything over 4km a 5 k tt is better to predict race times.
    ps iam not sayin it makes a huger difference but when you say its better than this is not correct.

if it was me from the distances offered so far i would do 1 month a 3 k tt and the next month a 30 min test. you would get more info then just from a 3 k tt ( or for that matter a 400m swim tt)
    ps if i have a client to train for an ironman I would not be telling him or her you are improving because 3 k tt gets faster( for an advanced athelte i would be kind of worried if they would not get slower over 3 k )

ps ceepo just to make it clear i was trying to help not haiving a go at you.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Agree and disagree.

I never said it was the best. Just better than 5k. For some reasons below

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Why dont we just use a 5k TT?
    There are plenty of parkruns nationwide and if you're doing the same one then at least one parameter is stablised

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Green&Red wrote: »
    Why dont we just use a 5k TT?
    There are plenty of parkruns nationwide and if you're doing the same one then at least one parameter is stablised

There are parkruns in Dublin, one in Cork, one in Mayo and a few up North. Hardly convenient for the rest of the country!

• Advertisement

So anyone even do a 3km jog today to kick this off?

Advertisement