Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car park storage

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi there
    Wondering if any one has put a steel shed or some sort of storage box in their apartment car space.

Our building is now a haven for bush drinking and the design of the building adds to the situation , two entrances, neither of which can be gated,

Over the weekend my motorbike was kicked over and and mow looking at replacing the fairings.
    I have called the Gardai in the past, they do come and move the scrotes off, but inevitably they return.
    CCTV is in place but the quality is next to useless.

My landlord has agreed in principle to allow a shed, but its my responsibility.

Can a management company legally direct me to remove a shed?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I would think that the management company would not agree to this. There would be an insurance issue with the installation of this type of storage shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'm not sure about the management co issue, I'm sure a phone call to them tomorrow could sort that out - what I would be more worried about is setting a challenge for the numptys drinking outside to damage/break into/set fire to your storage container. It sounds like it would be in a communal parking area, so therefore quite open and visible....you could come out some morning to find your lock, or the shed itself, badly damaged or broken. Sounds like it would be a handy toilet too :( sorry, just trying to be devils advocate here...I don't have any solutions other than trying to get the management company to take the issue of security around the block more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

what? wrote: »
    Wondering if any one has put a steel shed or some sort of storage box in their apartment car space.

Can a management company legally direct me to remove a shed?

The management company can prohibit the shed on many reasons, especially insurance. They can also remove it, and charge your landlord for the costs. The landlord would then pass on those costs to you.

You are not entitled to put any structure on a parking space, because it is not owned by you (nor your landlord). You would need the permission of the management company, which they will not give you, due to insurance implications and also planning regulations.

Your only approach would be to chase the Gardai to deal with the anti-social issue. Sorry to hear about your issues, but a shed is not the way to go. At least, since you are renting, you can look elsewhere for a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

no go so.
    thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Well you could always get a covered trailer and put it in the space? let the air out or remove one of the tyres.

I doubt there's anything the management co could say about that. Might not be worth the hassle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's an awful lot of hassle to protect your hard earned property (hassle you shouldn't have to go through if Ireland was a half decent society prepared to stand up to scumbags like this). I'd genuinely look at moving. If your bike has already been targeted then anything you do to secure it in future will be seen as a challenge by these wasters.

A real shame and an indictment of modern Ireland. You can park a bike pretty much anywhere in Berlin (and Berlin has poverty like people in Ireland wouldn't believe!) and it'll generally not be touched. It still amazes me to see high end bikes just with a disc lock on, not even chained to a lamp post. Obviously sometimes bikes do get robbed, but it must be very rare or people would take more precautions.

In Dublin a high end bike on the footpath wouldn't last a week, even if chained to said lamp post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Well you could always get a covered trailer and put it in the space? let the air out or remove one of the tyres.

I doubt there's anything the management co could say about that. Might not be worth the hassle though.

Most management company leases will stipulate what can be parked in a parking space - the words "motorised vehicle" being the very minimum. A trailer would not comply with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Someone could fix both tyres, and get a free bike and trailer.

Maybe look into a shed nearby that you could rent? And/or a better apartment with a gated parking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

the_syco wrote: »
    Someone could fix both tyres, and get a free bike and trailer..

Well obviously you'd put a bit more thought into it than just letting the air out smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd genuinely look at moving. If your bike has already been targeted then anything you do to secure it in future will be seen as a challenge by these wasters.

Agreed. I had a similar problem with my car in my last place and the easiest solution was just to move. If the complex isnt secure then no matter what you do (short of building your own structure to house your bike) you wont ever properly have piece of mind knowing these little pricks are hanging out around your property.

There are plenty of decent complexes out there with proper secure parking; there is no need to live in one that isnt secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Tow

[QUOTE=what?;87226615Our building is now a haven for bush drinking and the design of the building adds to the situation , two entrances, neither of which can be gated[/QUOTE]

Get onto the management company to get the the bushes cleared and maybe a few security cameras (or dummies) installed. I have seen the ESB clearing a site they owned with the same problem. No (or reduced) bushes to hide behind and the problem will vanish.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Friend of mine had a similar problem. He noticed there was a locked cage that housed some of the ESB boxes etc. There was enough roon in there to keep a bike so he got a key for it and uses that. Prob not applicable to your situation, but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well obviously you'd put a bit more thought into it than just letting the air out smart arse.
    My point is that if the trailer is in any way mobile, it could go against the OP, and if it isn't mobile, it may be costly moving it if cautioned by the MC.
    Tow wrote: »
    what? wrote: »
    Our building is now a haven for bush drinking and the design of the building adds to the situation , two entrances, neither of which can be gated
    Get onto the management company to get the the bushes cleared and maybe a few security cameras (or dummies) installed. I have seen the ESB clearing a site they owned with the same problem. No (or reduced) bushes to hide behind and the problem will vanish.
    I'm thinking the OP means "bush drinking" as the term, as opposed to there being actually bushes there.

Advertisement