If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42" & 32" TV Advice and Pricing request

Options
  • 28-10-2013 10:36am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've made a few posts in separate threads but with so many TV threads and a saturated market at 32" and 42" I'm creating this specific thread to bounce my questions.
    I'm looking at one, possibly two TVs

Most probable TV is...

Specifically
    42" - will consider a small drop to 40" minimum depending on your recommendations, don't mind an increase in size but not 50" +
    Bright enough room with high tendancy for reflections from sunlight, as it's the main living area the curtailment of light is not an option so my request is for as non-reflective a screen as possible
    Smart TV
    Saorview and Freesat
    Digital sound out, please advise whether optical or coaxial, and can the TV output DD5.1 broadcasts
    High refresh rate and 24FPS without judder
    Multimedia playback from USB, specifically .mkv files
    EDIT - Networking TV so it can access and playback movie/tv files from my (wired) network, typically .mkv files
    At least one component connection
    Not plasma

Long warranty

Would be nice
    3D (please advise whether active or passive, price of glasses and how many come with set)
    I've debated this as being as specific requirement but dropped it to being 'would be nice', record functionality via USB, and please advise whether USB 3.0 or not to allow recording to a UBS (not mains) powered device
    Rear cable input on right hand side as you look at the TV

Don't care about
    Wireless as will be hard coded but please advice network speed i.e. 10/100 or 10/100/1000
    Sound (that much)
    SCART
    Voice activation
    Stand features as will be mounted

Maybe TV
    32" are pretty cheap in the shops but we'll have a go anyhow...decent model, preferably a Smart TV but not if it pushes price up, Saorview, don't need that many HDMI inputs either.

Apologies for the long post, I want to make the right purchase without buyers regret and happy with my extensive RS purchasing history all the way back to my Marantz and Mission audio setup from Holborn back in 95! Price including delivery to Athlone please, feel free to post links as I don't mind knowing all the details but the point of the post is to slim it down to a reasonably manageable size.
    Budget, I think my requirement will drive my budget, don't quote me £900+ please for the big TV or £400 for smaller one.

Thanks in advance!
    S1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

slave1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've made a few posts in separate threads but with so many TV threads and a saturated market at 32" and 42" I'm creating this specific thread to bounce my questions.
    I'm looking at one, possibly two TVs

Most probable TV is...

Specifically
    42" - will consider a small drop to 40" minimum depending on your recommendations, don't mind an increase in size but not 50" +
    Bright enough room with high tendancy for reflections from sunlight, as it's the main living area the curtailment of light is not an option so my request is for as non-reflective a screen as possible

Smart TV - 
    Saorview and Freesat
    Digital sound out, please advise whether optical or coaxial, and can the TV output DD5.1 broadcasts
    High refresh rate and 24FPS without judder
    Multimedia playback from USB, specifically .mkv files
    EDIT - Networking TV so it can access and playback movie/tv files from my (wired) network, typically .mkv files
    At least one component connection
    Not plasma

Long warranty

Would be nice
    3D (please advise whether active or passive, price of glasses and how many come with set)
    I've debated this as being as specific requirement but dropped it to being 'would be nice', record functionality via USB, and please advise whether USB 3.0 or not to allow recording to a UBS (not mains) powered device
    Rear cable input on right hand side as you look at the TV

Don't care about
    Wireless as will be hard coded but please advice network speed i.e. 10/100 or 10/100/1000
    Sound (that much)
    SCART
    Voice activation
    Stand features as will be mounted

Maybe TV
    32" are pretty cheap in the shops but we'll have a go anyhow...decent model, preferably a Smart TV but not if it pushes price up, Saorview, don't need that many HDMI inputs either.

Apologies for the long post, I want to make the right purchase without buyers regret and happy with my extensive RS purchasing history all the way back to my Marantz and Mission audio setup from Holborn back in 95! Price including delivery to Athlone please, feel free to post links as I don't mind knowing all the details but the point of the post is to slim it down to a reasonably manageable size.
    Budget, I think my requirement will drive my budget, don't quote me £900+ please for the big TV or £400 for smaller one.

Thanks in advance!
    S1
    Hi S1.

Cheers for the post and the list of requirements is good to have as at least you know what you want...1/2 the battle.

Now the other 1/2....finding it.

The Freesat option makes the choice quite limited but in actual fact there is one TV that pretty much ticks the boxes.

Smart TV - YES
    Saorview and Freesat - YES
    Digital sound out, please advise whether optical or coaxial, and can the TV output DD5.1 broadcasts - OPTICAL
    High refresh rate and 24FPS without judder - 1600Hz and very good with although I would never say that any TV can be without judder.
    Multimedia playback from USB, specifically .mkv files - YES
    EDIT - Networking TV so it can access and playback movie/tv files from my (wired) network, typically .mkv files - YES (file format support can vary)
    At least one component connection - YES (1)
    Not plasma - YES LED

Long warranty - 5 Year

Would be nice
    3D (please advise whether active or passive, price of glasses and how many come with set) - Yes - 2 Pairs included
    I've debated this as being as specific requirement but dropped it to being 'would be nice', record functionality via USB, and please advise whether USB 3.0 or not to allow recording to a UBS (not mains) powered device - Can record onto USB but is specified for USB 2. I could contact Panasonic about USB 3 but on the specs it's USB2.0
    Rear cable input on right hand side as you look at the TV - Not sure if you mean power input or input from aerial / sources

Panasonic TXL42FT60 - £799.95 / 975 Euro.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl42ft60b/pana-txl42ft60b

I would have to also recommend the What Hifi 32" TV of the year to go with this.

Panasonic TXL32E6B - £369.95 and simply stunning.

No better TV available in my book.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-l32e6b

Delivery of the two would be £24.99

On the 42" front, the other option is the Samsung 46" but compared to the Panasonic, the refresh is only 400Hz so the motion handling is not on a par.

These two are stonking TV's and I don't feel there is a better option for the 42". You could certainly spend less on the 32" but it's unbelievably good.

Hope this helps.

ATB

Dave

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

On the 42" front, the other option is the Samsung 46" but compared to the Panasonic, the refresh is only 400Hz so the motion handling is not on a par.

Which Sammy is that?

..and can you list your 3 cheapest 32" for shipping please and your 2 cheapest SMART TVs, this for young daughter's room so not sure bells and whistles would be in order just yet, this would allow me more of a budget for main TV. Would need to be Saorview please...
    For the craic how much is the Panny 42" big brother?
    Thanks again for the post and advice...

Still here looking up TV specs, I believe the Sammy you refer to is the UE46F6500, John has this priced at £749 on Oct 16th, could you check this price and PM me a quote including shipping (if not included) as down to £689 on eBuyer with around €32 P&P via Parcel Motel or €899 in Power City inc. delivery.
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Which Sammy is that?
    Yes that is the UE46F6500. I would not buy that over the Panasonic if you want smooth motion handling. Your request was less judder. This is what the Panasonic is substantially better at. The Samsung i's no-where near as good a TV as the Panasonic. 

The Samsung may be bigger but the Panasonic is a substantially better TV. So I suppose the question is : Is the size of the screen more important than the performance ?

Cheapest 32" - 

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/toshiba/32w1333db/tosh-32w1333db - £219.95

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl32r423a/sony-kdl32r423abu - £229.95

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE32F4000AWXXU - £259.95

On the Panasonic front, the Panasonic is £999.95.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl47ft60b/pana-txl47ft60b

Unfortunately on the Samsung price beat, we do not beat companies who do not deliver directly to you as a customer and we also do not beat unless the cost of the 5 year guarantee is added. You will find that the one that ebayer are selling is not a freeview HD model and is highly unlikely to work in the South as it is not Saorview approved......taken from their website : 

[font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]System[/font]
    • [font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Non HD Freeview / Freesat Tuners[/font]
    • [font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Analog Tuner available[/font]
    • [font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]MHEG 5 System[/font]
    • [font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]CI+ (1.3) available[/font]
    [*]

The Powercity TV does not come with a 5 year guarantee, our model does.

John posted on this thread : http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057062432 at £749.95 so combined with delivery, this would work out at £779.95, delivered with 5 year warranty.

Many thanks

Dave

• Advertisement

Thanks for the effort and responses, want to get this purchase right so want to mull it over...

Sorry, should have replied earlier but only got to hand the Toshiba last night, all good, DD delighted with her new setup.
    Unfortunately I found a leak in our sitting room when getting ready to mount the 42" Panasonic so that's all on hold while I await plumber etc.

Thanks again for great pricing and service guys and if anyone ever mentions a black Radius 250 HD let me know!!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Sorry, should have replied earlier but only got to hand the Toshiba last night, all good, DD delighted with her new setup.
    Unfortunately I found a leak in our sitting room when getting ready to mount the 42" Panasonic so that's all on hold while I await plumber etc.

Thanks again for great pricing and service guys and if anyone ever mentions a black Radius 250 HD let me know!!
    Hi Slave,

Yikes!  Hope the roof gets sorted soon.

Need anything else just let us know :)

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.