Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are wireless alarm systems potentially affected by radio frequency sell-off?

Options
  • 28-10-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi all,

Because of some temporary activity near my premises, I feel they're a bit more vulnerable than usual and I'd like to install a basic wireless alarm as a deterrent. It needs to be cheap and cheerful - really just something that makes a noise which would give a burglar pause for thought before continuing to enter; it'd be combined with the fact that looking through the windows most rooms would be visibly empty and every internal door would be locked, so essentially it's just to add an extra layer to make them feel there's nothing to be gained by proceeding - getting through the house would be noisy and low with not much to be gained from it.

The whole place will be renovated soon, at which point I plan to put in a proper wired system, but that gives me no spare cash at the moment. So I was thinking of a very basic DIY wireless installation.

However, I know that some wireless AV systems we have at work are potentially affected by the sell-off of some radio frequencies; apparently our microphone system could stop working at any minute depending on whether someone has bought the relevant frequency.
    I see some information about frequencies here: http://www.sennheiserireland.com/ie/home_en.nsf/root/service_products_sennheiser-wireless-channel However, I don't know if the problem's broader than that.

Is this likely to affect wireless alarm systems also? Browsing online, they seem to make reference to "433 MHz radio signals" and more commonly the "868 MHz operating frequency".

Also, any recommendations would be welcome, bearing in mind my budget is as low as possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

radia wrote: »
    Hi all,

Because of some temporary activity near my premises, I feel they're a bit more vulnerable than usual and I'd like to install a basic wireless alarm as a deterrent. It needs to be cheap and cheerful - really just something that makes a noise which would give a burglar pause for thought before continuing to enter; it'd be combined with the fact that looking through the windows most rooms would be visibly empty and every internal door would be locked, so essentially it's just to add an extra layer to make them feel there's nothing to be gained by proceeding - getting through the house would be noisy and low with not much to be gained from it.

The whole place will be renovated soon, at which point I plan to put in a proper wired system, but that gives me no spare cash at the moment. So I was thinking of a very basic DIY wireless installation.

However, I know that some wireless AV systems we have at work are potentially affected by the sell-off of some radio frequencies; apparently our microphone system could stop working at any minute depending on whether someone has bought the relevant frequency.
    I see some information about frequencies here: http://www.sennheiserireland.com/ie/home_en.nsf/root/service_products_sennheiser-wireless-channel However, I don't know if the problem's broader than that.

Is this likely to affect wireless alarm systems also? Browsing online, they seem to make reference to "433 MHz radio signals" and more commonly the "868 MHz operating frequency".

Also, any recommendations would be welcome, bearing in mind my budget is as low as possible.

Thanks!

The 433 is the most over used frequency.
    This is know to cause issues. 868 would be the newer of the two and has less devices on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

All new systems AFAIK work on 868mhz, this is a pan European frequency for wireless alarm systems.
    464mhz while still in use by old systems should no longer be used for new systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

All you have to do is press a button on a 433 remote to interfere with a 433 alarm.
    Have seen it in action too.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Thanks guys. So as long as I get something that works on 868 MHz, it should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks guys. So as long as I get something that works on 868 MHz, it should be ok?

You will be fine, it is thankfully a European instruction anyway so i suppose the crowd that govern us can't change it or tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

s most rooms would be visibly empty and every internal door would be locked,

It costs an intruder nothing to smash an internal door in, if there's nothing to protect then your potentially costing yourself repairs. Leave them unlocked, you may know that there's nothing in the room, Johnny Burglar doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

It costs an intruder nothing to smash an internal door in, if there's nothing to protect then your potentially costing yourself repairs. Leave them unlocked, you may know that there's nothing in the room, Johnny Burglar doesn't.
    Fair point.

Advertisement