Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet network outages and slowdown

• 28-10-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Felt it was worth a thread.

I've booked of Tuesday to make a four day weekend, and since Friday evening I've been unable to do anything past web browsing on my internet. I've been in touch since Friday evening, as my line is capping out at 700kbps.

To provide some history, I've had nothing but intermitent service since I signed up in March , but it wasn't a massive nuisance. However about 7 weeks ago it got really bad. I've had an open case with Tier2 support in Magnet, who have had the case now 6 weeks, and been unable to advise me of anything bar " some heavy usage in the area".

I've called pretty much every day since Friday. I cannot get over down internet services or poor service. I play alot of online games, stream alot of movies and TV shows as does the other half. And during a weekend of lashing rain, it's the main source for entertainment.
    • Unable to Stream movies
    • Unable to Stream TV Shows
    • Unable to play Xbox live
    • Unable to play PSN
    • Unable to play PC games
    • Unable to launch streaming services for gaming

- Called Friday, and tier 1 staff could not troubleshoot, and advised I'd have to wait for Tier 2 support to call me, which would be Tuesday.

- Called Saturday after line still at 700kbps, advised I was not waiting until Tuesday, that this needs investigation now. After some back and forth guy indicated I would have to wait until Tuesday. Advised no supervisor was present to take my call.

- Called Sunday. Guy pretty quickly indicated they are now aware of a network outage/disruption that engineers are actively working on to resolve. Was unable to tell me if any notification was going to be shared with customers via the website,twitter etc. And couldn't confirm if we would receive updates via some form of communication. Advised to call back Monday to see if it was resolved.

- Called just now. Guy advised after I informed him of the latest, I'd have to wait until tomorrow to be advised if the line was fixed, and deal with Tier2 support. Asked him calmy why Tier2 support have anything to do with this, and he recanted that they are dealing with my case. I got the impression, that he had no idea about the network outage, or that was a rouse I was fed yesterday.

Queried why Tier 2 are required to advise me on anything, when yesterday a colleague of his informed me of a network outage, that was being worked on franticly by Eircom and Magnet technicians to resolve, as Magnet are aware of the disruption caused on a long weekend. Guy seemed to stumble and mumble, then indicated that was true, based on the volume of calls they have received this morning already.

No information on what the issue is, no information on when it will be fixed. When I asked how will I know or informed, he kept advising I'd need to wait until Tuesday for full staff to be in office, and I'd be rang.

Absolute load of bull****. I have a pending case with their Tier2's that's going on six weeks, but this is totally different. Beforehand I was atleast able to use some of my internet. Interestingly I'm aware of the throttling done by MAgnet, however I rang a few months back to confirm, and they advised it was only on the fatpipe services, not mine. Conveniently last night at 1:05am my line got back some decent speed and I could do stuff. When I queried this the Tier 1 agent advised that Magnet don't throttle customer lines. Advised that he was incorrect, I was specifically told via a colleague of his a while back that I WON'T be throttled, but it does occur. He then said that he cannot see download usage or throttling, and that I was probably speaking to Sales who would know that stuff.

Just to hilight that point, a guy in technical support for an internet service provider, advised me he does not have the tools to see download usage or throttling, but sales do......

Shocking state of affairs

No communication via website or social media of network outage
    No updates or comms anywhere indicating issue cause and ETA or resolution
    Magnet Tier 1 support seem to frequently have ill-informed or outdated updates, or in most cases, no knowledge of network outages
    Magnet Tier1 support have a complete reliance on Tier 2 support.

For an ISP, who is essentially providing service delivery services, NOT to have Tier 2 staff on a Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday, is to be fair laughable. They are providing a service paid for by customers/clients. To not have assets capable of dealing with issues on a weekend is beyond a joke, especially considering the its the highest usage hours of the week.

Pretty sick of Magnet. I went with them because I got such horrendous support from Eircom for a period where they just fobbed me off playing their contract with me. And have to say Magnet are reaching that level, will be giving an ultimatum shortly of a time for resolution before I consider it at the point where they have failed to hold up their end of the contract, and will be cancelling. Unfortunately the only alternative in my area....Eircom.

There's enough stress in this world and economy, that in 2013 anyone having to feel stress and anger over trying to achieve a stable internet connection, is an absolutely shambolic reflection on the companies providing the service, but also the government and local authorities unable to provide solid infrastructure for the country.

So the excuse I'm being fed is there is a serious issue on the network that is being investigated ASAP. Any other Magnet customers having this serious network issue? Cause I can't seem to find anyone...

Advertisement