Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does your pet react to bad weather?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

Maybe if you read through Sillymangox's posts on this forum you would see what a good, experienced and loving cat owner she is. One of the best contributors to the forum and adores her cats. She has to abide by house rules, she's not happy about it, but sure why not make her feel a bit worse by telling her she's mistreating her cats and she should rehome them.

Honestly, sometimes people should think about other posters feelings before they just accuse them of mistreating their pets!!

I have no idea how to trawl through every thread here to find one persons posts, as you advise.

However, the fact is that the poster to who you refer has chosen to take animals into a situation where she is unable to prevent them "screaming" (her word). I am less interested in making someone who brings animals into that situation feeling "better" than I am about the mistreatment of animals.

She may well be the most loving and well meaning pet owner on the planet, but the fact is she has taken animals into a situation where she is unable to love them to the extent that she is forced to leave them outside screaming.

I am also a per lover, but could never take animals into a situation where they are subject to such rules which mean they have to be left outside in inclement weather, screaming. By any definition that's is not "loving" behaviour, but verges on cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have no idea how to trawl through every thread here to find one persons posts, as you advise.

Click on the username, you will get a drop down menu and look through posts that way.
    However, the fact is that the poster to who you refer has chosen to take animals into a situation where she is unable to prevent them "screaming" (her word). I am less interested in making someone who brings animals into that situation feeling "better" than I am about the mistreatment of animals.

It is your ill informed opinion, based on one post that she is mistreating her pets. Not a fact.
    She may well be the most loving and well meaning pet owner on the planet, but the fact is she has taken animals into a situation where she is unable to love them to the extent that she is forced to leave them outside screaming.

For a certain time period. And as she says it's at her parents request. Who knows, maybe the floors are getting washed with bleach or something equally as harmful and they are, in fact, safer outside. But you choose to conjure up a situation where you think she's mistreating her pets based on one post.
    I am also a per lover, but could never take animals into a situation where they are subject to such rules which mean they have to be left outside in inclement weather, screaming. By any definition that's is not "loving" behaviour, but verges on cruelty.

I think you need to step back and stop judging other posters based on so little information. This is a great forum for information, sharing stories about our pets and generally having a laugh on some of the light hearted threads. Again, have a look through some of the previous posts and previous threads and get a feel for posters and their pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Well the bad weather passed overnight and the eldest decided that he was sick of being indoors and opened the kitchen window to go out for a stretch
    I got up this morning and going into the kitchen to get my morning coffee was faced with 5 cats sitting in a row on the shed roof sunning themselves :D
    Would have taken a pic but as soon as the pesky critters spotted their servant they were back in the window tripping me up and meowing for breakfast

gotta love cats :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Do you take your cat to the vet? If they needed some treatment, but objected (as most cats do) would you leave the vets without the cat being treated? Have you ever had to give your cat any pills? If so, did they allow you to do it with no protests? Some would say that is also verging on cruelty, forcing an animal to do something that they don't want to do. Are your cats neutered?

It is very easy to search for another posters previous posts, borderlinemeath has explained how, have a look at how besotted the poster is with her cats and what a great life they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm not even going to bother responding to the poster who is accusing me of 'cruelty' to my cats, but all I can say is aww thanks borderlinemeath and muddypaws, ye made my morning :D (and my cats morning, who are currently snuggled in under my duvet :D)

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Do you take your cat to the vet? If they needed some treatment, but objected (as most cats do) would you leave the vets without the cat being treated? Have you ever had to give your cat any pills? If so, did they allow you to do it with no protests? Some would say that is also verging on cruelty, forcing an animal to do something that they don't want to do. Are your cats neutered?

It is very easy to search for another posters previous posts, borderlinemeath has explained how, have a look at how besotted the poster is with her cats and what a great life they have.

Your analogy is somewhat hysterical, and to compare having to give an animal treatment for an illness or to save them pain to leaving cats outside "screaming" in inclement weather doesn't justify a response.

I am sure you are a wonderful person, and I have no intention of spending what seems like considerable time trawling through your previous 1968 posts. However, you said you leave them outside "screaming" to get back inside, in inclement weather, and no amount of reading your previous 1968 posts will alter that fact.

I consider that unnecessary cruelty to animals. You may consider it justified cruelty, or maybe you think it's not cruelty at all. So we differ. It's hardly the same scale as cutting off a cats tail, and we should not get it out of proportion, but facts are facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

I am bemused as to why you put your cats out when they don't want to go out, and then leave them out when they want to come back in again, even when they are "screaming" to be let in again. Does it give you some sort of pleasure to hear them "screaming" and not let them in?

We have a cat door so our cats can come an go as they please, and I simply cant understand why anyone would have animals, and force them to go out when they don't want to go out, and then not let them in when they want to come in again.

all I can say is your so so far off the mark is this a joke ???????

I'm not even going to bother responding to the poster who is accusing me of 'cruelty' to my cats, but all I can say is aww thanks borderlinemeath and muddypaws, ye made my morning :D (and my cats morning, who are currently snuggled in under my duvet :D)

Well, the fact is you did respond, and then you do the cyber equivalent of leaving the room with a parting shot, and slamming the door behind you, thus denying your interlocutur the opportunity of a response.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay all, let's get down off our exceptionally high moral mountains, which is bordering on trolling, and get back on topic.
    I don't want to see one more mention of how others mind their pets, or the phraseology they use to describe how they mind their pets.
    Automatic bans will follow for ignoring this instruction.
    Back on topic now.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

I shouldn't have to justify myself to you, and I don't want to be dragging this thread off topic, but since your insistent on it here it goes. My cats adore being outside. If we don't let them out, they bounce off the walls, scream the place down and try and escape out of any window possible. How do I know this? They all started out as indoors cats. It was too 'cruel' to keep them locked up inside when they were going so demented, they even started exhibiting stereotype behavior that you would see of an animal in a zoo cage, such as pacing. So now they go outside in the morning, do their business and have a potter around the garden, and if they wish they come back in. Only on days when it's raining do they 'scream' to be let back in, other days I have to go outside and physically carry them in. They are outside for max 2 hours at a time before coming in for cuddles/food/naps. They come back inside every single day from 4-5pm and stay in for the night, not once have they ever spent a night outside. I let my cats out because I care for them and want them to be happy. Sure some cats survive fine as indoor cats, but not mine. Thus is life. Now can you please stop worrying about how I treat my cats, who I assure you, as can many of the other posters here, the most spoiled cats this side of the country. Thank you.

Edit: Sorry DBB I think I was posting at the same time as you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think, in this particular case, that you deserved the right to reply, and so I'll let your post stand.
    But that's it folks.
    Back on topic. No more exceptions.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

omg I have never seen a post go so far off course

I for 1 was so enjoying all the inputs from ;posters and then it all goes pear shape

this is a post that could have run for a while me thinks

To bring it back on topic :P I just remembered my old JRT x Staffie would love to sit out in the rain. She would go into the middle of the garden and roll around for ages! I think that she used to do it to clean herself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

My terrier boy doesn't mind the rain so much but the other two can't stand it. I had to try and put them out for toilet in the rain one day recently...the little terrier girl immediately stood underneath the big boy before they both turned around and headed back in. The big boy is very much inclined to do what he has to do and head straight back to the door anyway. He doesn't like being outside for long at all, probably due to his previous home. If the weather's good though, the terriers love to go out for a sunbathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

We've got three cats now (recent addition of a kitten). The eldest will stick to her normal routine, i.e. she will go our early in the morning for a quick check on her territory but will keep it short. Other than that windowsills (preferably those with a radiator underneath) are popular spots.
    WHen it gets too boring, three cats sitting in front of the cat flap (also referred to as Cat TV) looking up at me accusingly - Look the weather is ****e, but want to go out, make it go away, will ya!
    Otherwise just a quick dash for urgent business before retiring back to the current favourite sleep spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I've been caught in unexpected downpours a few times walking our greyhound, he never minded very much as he knew he would get a good rub down with his towel when he gets back inside :) Lately though if it's dawned on him that he doesn't have to stay out - if it's wet I'll only get as far as the bottom of the road until he stops, puts on a face that seems to just say "nope", turns and starts walking me back home. :D

Setun wrote: »
    I've been caught in unexpected downpours a few times walking our greyhound, he never minded very much as he knew he would get a good rub down with his towel when he gets back inside :) Lately though if it's dawned on him that he doesn't have to stay out - if it's wet I'll only get as far as the bottom of the road until he stops, puts on a face that seems to just say "nope", turns and starts walking me back home. :D

newspapers are great to dry off dogs use them all the time

jimf wrote: »
    newspapers are great to dry off dogs use them all the time

I have not bought a newspaper in years, and imagine the ink might be an issue. We use old towels and our dogs love a good rub down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I do not have to look at the weather forecast, my gang soon let me know what weather to expect when I try to put them out. When the weather is good there is no keeping them in. At the moment it is very unsettled and looks like rain, so they are all inside looking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I have not bought a newspaper in years, and imagine the ink might be an issue. We use old towels and our dogs love a good rub down.

Why would the ink be an issue? Unless your dog is pure white, I suppose. What do you think your dog lies on when he is having surgery in the vets'?

• Advertisement

as mine are all liver and white springers and some with a good deal of white have to say ive never noticed a problem with the ink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

mine don't care, although the two larger dogs fuss at having to share the dog house. (One likes to stretch wide out.. and sulks when he has to share XD..)
    The little dog doesn't care, cold, rain, sun, it's all good to be out. Though I throw a jacket on him in the bad weather. He likes that on when it's cold, not so much when it's raining.

My cat, meows to go out, if I open the window to let her out in wet weather, she gives me these eyes like "aren't you gonna to turn off the rain?" .. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Our 2 y/o whippet refuses point blank to head out in to the rain to go to the toilet even if he is ltterally hopping up and down with desperation. I have to push him out of the door and even then he stands with his bottom against the door giving me sad looks untill he dashes to the nearest tree and back again as fast as possible.

He will head out for a walk if it is raining but then every couple of minutes or so he has to shake the rain off himself and gives a bit of a sad groan before movng off again. We bought him a very expensive coat to keep him warm and dry but when he has it on you would think we are the cruelest owners in the world. He walks very slowly and hangs his head in shame. He wont go to the toilet with it on either.

He is a bit od to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our cats give us that "Can't you make the rain stop?" look as well, as if it's somehow our fault :) I just have to shoo them out when they do that and make sure to let them back in a few minutes later after they've done whatever they feel the need to do out there otherwise it'll just be a continuous loop of .. go to door to be let out, stick nose out, recoil in horror as nose gets wet, rush back indoors, wait 10 seconds (standard cat memory span!), and repeat.

They don't mind doing their business in the rain but osky hates being walked in it. He looks at me like "mammy why are you doing this to me" even though he begged to be walked in the first place. I try to explain to him it's raining and he won't like it, but no use :pac:
    Need to buy him a raincoat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ferretone wrote: »
    Why would the ink be an issue? Unless your dog is pure white, I suppose. What do you think your dog lies on when he is having surgery in the vets'?

Having checked, not newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

muddypaws wrote: »
    Having checked, not newspaper.

The dogs in my vets certainly don't lie on newspaper. They use vet bed. I have seen the cages numerous times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My old cat Popey puts on a disgusted face, but he'll go out if he needs to, do his business, then settle under a car for a while. When I call him back in he gives me a dramatic cry running all the way from under the car like : "mmeewahahhahah". Ah the drama. Then I have to dry him, he loves it.

My little dog refuses point blank to go out if it's pouring down. If it's a light enough rain he'll go out, do the business, run back in, and expect to be towel dried too.

Got him a little raincoat, he was so happy about it, I was able to walk him in a light-ish rain the other day ! (he's a bichon x shih Tzu so his tummy gets drenched).

They both like the mat too, when it's really too bad. :(
    Tried leaving newspaper pads instead in the same spot, but they'd rather hold it than use newspapers.
    Got the mat kind of on purpose though, one from Aldi, and it's so easy to pop into washing machine, I don't mind too much.
    (Popey has a litter toilet too)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

My Ali hates the rain! If its raining outside she literly won't go outside, you have to push her out. She has a couple of little jackets/jumpers so she has them on when she goes on a walk in the cold. Spoiled rotten she is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Came home from a trip to Dublin today no sign of a cat... Bit of a concern considering there are five in this house at the moment :cool:

All asleep under my bed apparently they chose that as the safest option given the alternative was outside (wind & rain) or downstairs (hyper toddler) :D:D:D

Advertisement